Default Starter Ring gear 

Old 11-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
dslywalker
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7,258,stock Original Owner

Got a friend with 81, 258 thats chewing up starters. He's went thru 5 now all rebuilt. He started out with 3 Auto Zone and 2 Napa's. When he put in the 3rd starter he changed the ring gear and since went thru 2 Napa starters. Guy at Napa told him on the first Napa starter to make sure he had 179 teeth on the new ring gear before he put the starter in [4th one] cause they also made a 169 tooth ring gear which he could have gotten also. The gear had 179 teeth so he put in the 5th starter which I looked at tonite and it looked like the bendix teeth were slamed in hard and it only lasted 2 weeks. I also noticed the bushing on the end of the starter was shot. Do they have that much trouble with rebuilt starters and how many teeth should be on the ring gear? Has anyone ever hd thi problem before?
Thanx Mike

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Starter Ring gear 

Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #2
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

I have never heard of anything like this. You mite try shimming the starter out with sheet metal to see if it is too deep for some reason. when he changed the ring gear was there any signs of damage to it??

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 11-27-2010, 12:27 AM   #3
Sasquach
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5, 258 w/4.0head, Mopar MPI, P.S., P.B.,Tilt wheel, No stereo, t-18, t-20, amc 20, dana-30 w/tru-trac, Warn full float w/locking hubs & Detroit locker in the AMC. 1964 CJ3B, 4-134 1952 M100 trailer

I had issues previously with the 3B although does not sound like it is your problem. With a less than fully charged battery the starter gear would not get thrown out hard enough to make full engagement and after enough of this over many years it made a mess out of the ring gear and would go thru starter gears fairly quickly. The other problem we had was a worn switch that would stick sometimes in start and not return to run possition when you let go of the key and that would spell dissaster for the starter in pretty short order.
I know this is not related to the symptoms you discribe but is food for thought maybe?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquach For This Useful Post:
dslywalker (11-28-2010)

Old 11-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
dslywalker
Old Time Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPort51 View Post
I have never heard of anything like this. You mite try shimming the starter out with sheet metal to see if it is too deep for some reason. when he changed the ring gear was there any signs of damage to it??
He said there was signs of wear but it was the original one but nothing significant.When you try and start it it hits hard and just grinds and screams even with the new gear and starter.Somtimes it sticks on previous ones but went away with new gear.New gear and starters do the same noise but it doesn't stick.Shimming my be the option.He's taking out the ring gear again and taking it in with the starter.
I've never heard of this either.I told him to get a new starter this time instead of rebuilt.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #5
dslywalker
Old Time Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
I had issues previously with the 3B although does not sound like it is your problem. With a less than fully charged battery the starter gear would not get thrown out hard enough to make full engagement and after enough of this over many years it made a mess out of the ring gear and would go thru starter gears fairly quickly. The other problem we had was a worn switch that would stick sometimes in start and not return to run possition when you let go of the key and that would spell dissaster for the starter in pretty short order.
I know this is not related to the symptoms you discribe but is food for thought maybe?
Battery seems good and strong when its engaged.But I'll tell him to test it under load.I've had problems with rebuilts in the past and only buy new.Thanx Mike

Old 11-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #6
Saddle Tramp
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout Dana 300, 2-1/2" Lift, Locked

My bet is on shims, or lack of them. The starter has to be lined up so the pinion gear on the starter makes full even contact with the ring gear (parallel with each other so contact is not angled), if they do not the starter, ring gear, or both will suffer. Most often if there were shims used with the original starter and you put them back as they came off while installing the new starter the pinion will be properly lined up, but not always so it is good to check once everything is tightened up to spec.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saddle Tramp For This Useful Post:
dslywalker (11-28-2010)

Old 11-28-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

It seems to me that removing a ring gear from a flywheel is something you don't just do on the spur of the moment. I am wondering if the gear is out of round??
Put some kind of marker, Dykum, Prussian blue or even magic marker on the drive gear ans see where it is hitting when it engages.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

The Following User Says Thank You to IOPort51 For This Useful Post:
dslywalker (11-28-2010)

Old 11-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
dslywalker
Old Time Jeeper

Got the flywheel off and to the machine shop. He put the first gear on without checking for trueness.Definately something is off.He's a young kid but learning.Soon as he gets a computer I'll get him on the forum.I'll let you know when it comes back.
He Also learned about dykum.Never set it on your crotch when your done.Never seen a person crawl out from under a Jeep that fast.
Starter wasn't far off according to the imprints but with this much problem its best to check all parameters.
Thanx Guys

Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #9
justinkase
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1985 cj7, 4.2L I6 w/.06 overbore, T-5, dana 300, amc 20, dana 30, 4.10 gears

I had to shim mine with a dime to get it to start and have had no problems since. Don't know if this will help.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #10
dslywalker
Old Time Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinkase View Post
I had to shim mine with a dime to get it to start and have had no problems since. Don't know if this will help.
Thanx everything helps.Hopefully a little machine shop work will cure it.