Default Locker advice 

Old 03-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #1
jmbridges
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1981 cj7, amc 258, t176, Dana 30

I am now almost 2 years into my 81 cj7 rebuild, and it's coming along slowly but surely. Working on the rear axle now, installing moser one piece axles and I have started to think about the rear differential. I knew I was going to probably have to regear- original ratio was 2.73:1 - and with 33's that is not going to be drivable, unless the PO regeared when he put the 33s on. I didn't get to drive it long enough when I bought it to tell, though will see when I get in there.

Anyway, that got me to thinking about lockers as well.

I don't plan on rock crawling, just some routine off roading, maybe get into some mud now and then. This will also not be a daily driver, but i would like to take it out cruising from time to time.

From the research I have done on here and other places, it seems like a LSD might serve me best. I am thinking about the Detroit truetrac. Any thoughts about that vs a true locker? I don't think I want the expense and complexity of a selectable. Also, do I need both front and rear? Thanks much

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Locker advice 

Old 03-06-2018, 01:31 PM   #2
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

I've been very pleased with my Trutracs. You'll need a new carrier for the rear anyway, so that lowers the marginal cost of the TT.

As long as I keep the tires on the ground, they all pull. And it drives the same on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,114 Posts
A 'locker' and an LSD are not the same.
FWIW: I've been very happy with my front and rear DL's.
LG

Old 03-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
jmbridges
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1981 cj7, amc 258, t176, Dana 30

Thanks for the replies! Yes, I know a locker and an LSD are different . That's part of the reason I need some advice - not sure which I need. Based on what I have read, LSD seems like it might be better for what I need, but I'm a newbie, so WTH do I know. Just wanted some real world advice on both. LG, how are the roads manners with the DLs? Is yours a DD? I take it from both your replies that having front and back is a good idea?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Old 03-06-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,192 Times in 1,114 Posts
Yes a DD. The rear DL has a quirks for sure and after 25 plus years of have'n it in, I don't even think about it. In a tight turn, the DL 'drives' from the inside wheel so a 'chip' of the tire is kinda normal.
I do get reminded after my wife or kids drive it on the street....LOL
If I lived in snow country, I would have installed Power-Loc LSD, front and rear.
LG

Old 03-07-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
HackFabrication
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ5, 2020 Grand Cherokee Summit, 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE Regular Cab Shortbed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbridges View Post
...not sure which I need. Based on what I have read, LSD seems like it might be better for what I need, but I'm a newbie, so WTH do I know. I take it from both your replies that having front and back is a good idea?
IMHO: On a Jeep CJ that will see no street snow/ice, the Detroit lockers would be fine. If you are willing to accept the 'quirks' that LG stated. If you put a Detroit locker in the front, don't run on hard pavement with the front hubs locked.

I run ARB's front/rear in my 76 CJ5, because I want the road manners of open differentials, with the capability to fully lock either front, rear, or both when necessary.

The one piece axles are a definite 'must'. I have Moser's in my AMC20. I would also recommend welding the axle tubes to the housing.

Old 03-07-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
elkgroveguy
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ5 258 (with Howell fuel injection) T-18 4 speed Dana 20 T-case

If money is no object I like Electric lockers front and rear.
When on a budget I go (lunch box locker in the front) True trac in the rear.
I have had both and for those are the best for street manners in my opinion.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
gr8dain
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ-8

Aorry to jump in with a question, but I have a lunch box locker and wondered if I should put it in the rear or not. As a DD, is that going to be bad? A lot of clicking as I drive and chirping around corners? Any other drawbacks?

If I just have the one locker, and it is a lunchbox, should it go in the front? I do hit the trails a couple of times a year and run blues but want to do more rocks. AND still use it as a DD. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 03-08-2018, 11:31 AM   #9
Posi
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,185 Posts
Do you have stock 2 piece rear shafts?
If so I would install the locker in the front.
If the answer is no, I would install it in the rear.
When you climb offroad all the weight is in the rear where a locker would help.
You have a long wheel base Jeep your not going to feel much.
My 77 CJ7 has spartans front and rear and the only time I feel the rear is backing up while turning sharp and once in awhile slowly turning going forward.
Although a lot of highway driving, I ran it from Colorado Springs to Ouray (about 5.5 hours) last year without any locker issues. I will again be running it from Colorado Springs to Moab next month.
I feel the Detroit more in my short nose 71, but still not bad enough that I would change it.

Default Locker advice 

Old 03-08-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
gr8dain
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ-8

Thanks. I have 1 piece axle shafts in the rear. So I will continue with my plan of throwing it in the rear.