Default Re: Linkage help 

Old 05-25-2018, 11:05 AM   #11
CJ
Owner & Administrator
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 5,836 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mriplaybass View Post
I know that there are those who disagree, but a hydraulic conversion is always an option. I used to have my bell crank disconnect during hard articulation. (a common problem with CJ's I have been told) Since I switched to hydraulic, not a single clutch linkage problem.
Hydraulic clutch has my vote, no linkages.

Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to CJ For This Useful Post:
mriplaybass (05-25-2018)

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #12
Jslampe
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '83 CJ7 258 5pd D300

I've tried the PBblaster. Nothing. I went to war on it for another 2 hours last night. I lost. Here are some pics in a google drive folder (the forum won't let me upload): https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...AN?usp=sharing

What these don't show you is how little clearance I have to do much. Can't get a bolt extractor in there. Again, I've tried penetrating spray, propane torch, hammer. Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
img_20180520_144910.jpg   img_20180520_141751.jpg   img_20180520_144858.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 05-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #13
mriplaybass
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear, 1959 CJ5, 1954 CJ3B, 1967 CJ5, 1947 IHC KB1, 1947 IHC KB2, 1947 IHC KS5, 1967 Mustang Coupe,

It's been awhile since I did mine, and as I said earlier, I have since switched to a hydraulic clutch, but as I recall, I just used a punch and drove the broken bolts through. I don't remember if the plate that you said you are prying on is a one piece assembly, ie, the bolts and plate are all one unit, and driving the bolts out toward the inside of the cowl will loosen it. At any rate, I just replaced the sheet steel plate with a 3/16" piece of flat stock, drilled it, and then I could reach up inside, hold the bolt with a wrench, and tighten the nuts from under the hood.
Another option would be to just grind the broken bolts flush with the firewall, and drill them out. It is not necessary for the bolts to be "captive", reaching up inside with a wrench is easy.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:23 PM   #14
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

Thanks for sending in those pics, I have seen that pivot break before, but that is the first time I have seen it break at the bolts. I would think you would probably have to drill them out though. That would mean replacing the busted studs with bolts and would also suggest a backing plate to hold it more ridged. From what I have seen they break due to the fact that the bell crank is not perpendicular to the frame putting most of the load against only one of the pivots. When the engine is in the correct position, the bell crank is perpendicular to the frame making the clutch linkage work just fine. But when the motor mounts sag, the engine moves to the rear. This is noticed by the valve cover getting pretty close to the firewall, the engine side of the bell crank moves to the rear also. There are also nylon bushings inside the bell crank that will wear out. They would be item #10 on your diagram.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
Idahododgeram
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 CJ5, AMC 360, T150, D20, D44.

Ok... Upon my reassembly of my frame off '77 I was sooooooooooooooooooo exited to finally pull my Jeep out of the garage. I put my clutch in and the poopiety plastic bushing broke. This is the bushing on the clutch side of the linkage (I hate Crown).

Looking at the "Black Betty" set up but not sure how it works. Does anyone have pictures of it installed? I'm not afraid of throwing money at the problem, but $100 is $100.

Also, what is involved in switching to hydraulic? I've been so wrapped up in the rebuild I never gave the clutch linkage too much thought.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #16
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahododgeram View Post
Ok... Upon my reassembly of my frame off '77 I was sooooooooooooooooooo exited to finally pull my Jeep out of the garage. I put my clutch in and the poopiety plastic bushing broke. This is the bushing on the clutch side of the linkage (I hate Crown).

Looking at the "Black Betty" set up but not sure how it works. Does anyone have pictures of it installed? I'm not afraid of throwing money at the problem, but $100 is $100.

Also, what is involved in switching to hydraulic? I've been so wrapped up in the rebuild I never gave the clutch linkage too much thought.

Thanks in advance.

Are your talking about the plastic bushing in the end of the bellcrank? The heim joint linkage still uses all the bellcrank stuff. It just replaces the rod from the clutch pedal to the bellcrank and i think part of the linkage from the bell crank to the fork.

I've got the Rugged Ridge kit coming tomorrow and hope to have some pics this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2018, 12:15 AM   #17
Idahododgeram
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 CJ5, AMC 360, T150, D20, D44.

Yes, the crappy plastic end on the bellcrank is my issue. I bought the Crown replacement and is is a POS. It is literally my weak link in the whole set up. I wish I could just weld the whole thing up and move on.

Old 06-02-2018, 07:03 AM   #18
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

Well that sucks. I just bought a kit to replace both of mine from crown. I think I replaced the whole bell crank a while back (probably close to 10 years ago) with a crown piece and it has held up until now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #19
Turbogus
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 CJ 5 Renegade (Black Betty) Motor AMC 360, T150 trans, 20 tc, Dana 30 front and Dana 44 rear w/posi '96 GMC K1500 Suburban (Big Blue Basterd) fully loaded with over $10k in options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahododgeram View Post

Thanks in advance.
I'm sorry you're having so much trouble with this. What with the plastic bushing failing upon install it seems that the linkage may have been binding up for some reason. If so, it wouldn't work well anyway. Detailed photos of your setup would be great as well. I've got to run to Portland today so I'll be pretty wiped out before I make it home, but I'll try to take some pics this weekend and post them in thumb nail section here.
Attached Thumbnails
alt_clutch_linkage.jpg  

Last edited by Turbogus; 06-02-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 06-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
mtnwhlr
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7

The last time I bought the bushings I got them from the Jeep dealer.