Default I stopped the Quadra-trac from making the stretched chain noise 

Old 10-20-2011, 08:31 PM   #1
GoldenEagle36
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj7 Golden Eagle 304,automatic, Quadra-trac, full restoration just "finished." 4 inch superlift, lift shackles in the front, sitting on some KM2 Mud terrians 1999 tj 4 cylinder ax5 trans 3 inches lift 31s 1956 Dj3a all original except axles and engine, Hurricane 4 cyl. 4x4 conversion, 27,500 original miles 58 Jeep-A-Trench cj5 8000 miles.

i previously went to a Jeep dealership out by me, i do not know if you guys would be fond of this old Jeep Dealership, its Corwin Jeep out here in Hickory PA. claimed to be the worlds oldest jeep dealership. anyway, i visited the owner of the dealership because my dad has been dealing with him since the 70s for all his Jeeps. i asked him about my quadra-trac, it was making the clunking sound, and we asked him, new fluid and run in in a figure 8 for about 15-20 min. as the book recommended, and it should stop thumping. put all new quadra-trac oil in it, ran it in a figure 8 for about 20 mins and yes it stopped thunking. saved me over 200.00 just changing the oil. i was pretty shocked, to say the least

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: I stopped the Quadra-trac from making the stretched chain noise 

Old 10-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
Niedhogg
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '79 Jeep CJ7 Renegade with 304ci V8, TH400 auto, Quadratrac T-case, Stock 20 and 30 rears with no mods yet, not sure of the gear ratio.. 4" Softride Superlift, w/widetrac shock towers and 35x12.50x15 BFG Mud-Terrains '76 CJ5, 232 ci, T-150 3-speed, D20 T-case, Corp. 20 rear w/full float axles and lockout hubs and Detroit auto locker, D30 front w/lockout hubs, gear ratio is unknown..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle36 View Post
i previously went to a Jeep dealership out by me, i do not know if you guys would be fond of this old Jeep Dealership, its Corwin Jeep out here in Hickory PA. claimed to be the worlds oldest jeep dealership. anyway, i visited the owner of the dealership because my dad has been dealing with him since the 70s for all his Jeeps. i asked him about my quadra-trac, it was making the clunking sound, and we asked him, new fluid and run in in a figure 8 for about 15-20 min. as the book recommended, and it should stop thumping. put all new quadra-trac oil in it, ran it in a figure 8 for about 20 mins and yes it stopped thunking. saved me over 200.00 just changing the oil. i was pretty shocked, to say the least
I'd say that's pretty amazing, but I really don't know much about quadratracs yet. That's something I will remember though. So I guess the chain is getting sticky and binding up, causing the clunking, the new fluid and the figure 8 jsut worked the chain at different tensions and re-lubed the links... simple. I like that!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!