Default Fuel Delivery upgrade options? 

Old 03-05-2020, 09:12 PM   #1
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .

Need to replace the carb on my 86 CJ. will either go with the Weber or the Sniper EFI. The EFI adds about $1500 to the bottom line when you also factor in the distributor, hyperspark box, tuning, etc. Is it worth the extra coin? I am looking for driveability, reliability and ease of use. Jeep is used for light 4 wheeling and around town fun in the nice weather.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Fuel Delivery upgrade options? 

Old 03-05-2020, 10:27 PM   #2
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

I have the Webber and it was a great improvement over the original carburetor for over 150,000 miles. That being said, on the side of steep hillsides and mountains on trails it would run rich and not idle well, and stopping and starting was not good. Any other time it has been extremely reliable. Since my plans are to make many trips into the mountains, I have purchased the Sniper and planned for its installation. I would say if steep trails are not in your plans the Webber will work well.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #3
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,113 Posts
Nut'n wrong with the Carter.
Still run one.
Why do you have to replace your carb?
Learn how to rebuild and tune it.
Gary

Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 AM   #4
Scout1067
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1981 CJ7, 258, T176, D300, D30 front diff, AMC 20 rear diff, Weber Carburetor, BDS 2.5" lift

I run a Weber 32 and once I got it tuned right I have to say I am super happy with it. The only mod I made to it is swapping out the electrical choke for a manual.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:54 AM   #5
Mrpeter63
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1983 CJ7, 4.2, T999, D300, AMC20, D30

If it was me i would spend the extra $$$ for the Sniper, you don't need the distributor, etc. unless you want it to control timing. It will run just fine alone without timing control. It is self tuning also, so just plug and play. Only other thing you will need is an electric fuel pump. You can go external or Novak makes an internal for the CJ... https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...cj-fuel-module

PS: You don't need the pump that comes with a regulator, The Sniper has a regulator built into it...

Old 03-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #6
Flundertaker
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpeter63 View Post
If it was me i would spend the extra $$$ for the Sniper, you don't need the distributor, etc. unless you want it to control timing. It will run just fine alone without timing control. It is self tuning also, so just plug and play. Only other thing you will need is an electric fuel pump. You can go external or Novak makes an internal for the CJ... https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/...cj-fuel-module

I did! Ordered the sniper master kit which comes with all new fuel lines and electric pump. I did pop on the hyper max hei distributer, coil box etc. figured in for a penny in for a pound. Once itís all installed and tuned and I have a little seat time I will post my feedback here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-24-2020, 04:23 PM   #7
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): #1 - 1977 CJ-7 Renegade (Daisy Jane), Levis trim, 304 V8, TH400, QuadraTrac w/Low Range, D30, Trac-Lok AMC20, 3.54's, Factory Air, Tach, Clock, red with Levis blue seats and top(s), 31x10.50x15 Destination MT's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper EFI, MSD6, MSD ProBillet distributor, OME shocks, one-inch shackle lift, Reese tow bar, G2 one-piece axles. #2 - 1984 CJ-7 Laredo (The Texas Hooker Project), 401 V8, 700r4, Spicer 18, D44's, 5.38's, Eaton E-Lockers, Rocky-Road SOA, Poison Spyder outboard kit, YJ rear sprgs, Waggy front sprgs, tach, clock, red with gray seats and top(s), 35x12.50x15 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's, Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley Sniper EFI, MSD6, Sniper Hyperspark distributor, Rocky-Road shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flundertaker View Post
I did! Ordered the sniper master kit which comes with all new fuel lines and electric pump. I did pop on the hyper max hei distributer, coil box etc. figured in for a penny in for a pound. Once itís all installed and tuned and I have a little seat time I will post my feedback here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let me know if you need help - me and a few others have done the Sniper and learned a lot.