Default Differential Question??? 

Old 03-26-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
Hotrod Robby
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ7 6 cyl. Dana 30 front axle AMC Model 20 rear axle. 3" suspension lift, 31" tires, AGR steering pump shaft and box. Driven daily.

I got out of work this morning to find a good amount of fluid under the front driveshaft, towards the differential end. The yoke and U-joint were dripping wet, although the differential and axle were dry. It doesn't look like motor oil. I have not checked the differential fluid level as of yet. I will do that later on today.
If it is the pinion seal, can the seal be changed without pulling the entire axle out of the truck? Any suggestions?
1976 CJ7- straight 6 motor.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Differential Question??? 

Old 03-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #2
IOPort51
NOT the voice of reason
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Vehicle(s): 1977 cj-5 4.2 W/MC2100 carb, 4.0 head W/3 angle valves,SS Header,TFI ignition with MSB-6 offroad module,CS144 140 amp RPS alternator with remote regulator T-150,d-20,Dana 44 with OX lock and disk brakes. D-30 with Spartin locker, skyjacker 2.5 lift?nitro shocks,31" BFG A/T off road.8000 lb Warn winch, original owner.=^) 2006 Toyota Tacoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod Robby View Post
I got out of work this morning to find a good amount of fluid under the front driveshaft, towards the differential end. The yoke and U-joint were dripping wet, although the differential and axle were dry. It doesn't look like motor oil. I have not checked the differential fluid level as of yet. I will do that later on today.
If it is the pinion seal, can the seal be changed without pulling the entire axle out of the truck? Any suggestions?
1976 CJ7- straight 6 motor.
I will say yes,you will have to remove the yoke and the pinion nut.and you will need a seal driver that has a hole in the center be sure to re torque the pinion nut. I don't think this will have an effect on the R&P gears, Be quick with the removal of the pinion nut, air impact would be best and be sure to re torque to spec and no more you would not want to change the dimension of the crush sleeve. i think I would want 4 to 6 hours to do this well including parts shopping, Take it to the car wash first get it clean on the outside, take it home, pull the cover, drain and clean the inside. What do the U-joints look like? Is there any play in the pinion bearing? A seal seldom goes FUBAR unless it has friction or impact from someplace, Did dirt eat it or is there play in the bearing?? and then again it could be old and dryrotted.
Nothing is ever as easy as you first think it is!
I would go for it, it isn't going to fix itself, it may quit dripping on the drivway but only because it ran out of oil.
It will be fun.

you asked for opinions, this one is mine.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-26-2010, 02:41 AM   #3
Hotrod Robby
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1976 CJ7 6 cyl. Dana 30 front axle AMC Model 20 rear axle. 3" suspension lift, 31" tires, AGR steering pump shaft and box. Driven daily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPort51 View Post
What do the U-joints look like? Is there any play in the pinion bearing? A seal seldom goes FUBAR unless it has friction or impact from someplace, Did dirt eat it or is there play in the bearing?? and then again it could be old and dryrotted.
The U-joints look pretty good. No play that I could find. My guess is that the bearing is old. I will find out later on in the day. Thanks.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:41 AM   #4
BajaEdition
Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

Before that check to see if the oil is coming down from the t case. Just a thought
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:
Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR the Public Instead of FROM the Public

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Old 03-26-2010, 06:50 AM   #5
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

As baja said make sure where the oil is comming from.
If it's the pinion seal, you will need a tool to hold the yoke while you remove, and reinstall the pinion nut. You will also need an INCH pound torque wrench to reset the load on the bearing. You need to check what it takes to turn the nut (gears and axle) before you take it off and than reset it to the same reading as you retighten the new nut. This keeps you from crushing the crush sleve and messing up your gear setting.
Is this the front or rear axle ?

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-26-2010 at 06:58 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 07:38 AM   #6
CJ
Owner & Administrator
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 5,831 Times in 602 Posts
The 76 AMC20

and the 76 Dana 30

don't use crush sleeves. No reason to worry about using an inch pound torque wrench. The bearing preload is set by the shim pack on the pinion. Just re-torque to specs and the preload is set back as it was before. You only need the inch pound torque wrench when setting the initial shim pack up.

Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #7
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

The Haynes manual will help you with the details.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #8
Jokenring
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '74 CJ5 258 T18 D20 D44 D44 '03 F-250 CC V10 '07 Lexus RX350

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post

don't use crush sleeves. No reason to worry about using an inch pound torque wrench. The bearing preload is set by the shim pack on the pinion. Just re-torque to specs and the preload is set back as it was before. You only need the inch pound torque wrench when setting the initial shim pack up.
^^^ This

Crush sleeves aren't used on a Dana 30.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:27 PM   #9
CJ
Owner & Administrator
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 5,831 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokenring View Post
^^^ This

Or the 76 AMC 20.

Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Old 03-26-2010, 04:39 PM   #10
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokenring View Post
^^^ This

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ View Post
Or the 76 AMC 20.
Sorry, from now on I won't post till after my second cup of coffee.