Default Another Running Hot Post 

Old 06-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #1
nhudson
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 79 CJ7

Greetings, new member here. Just picked up a '79 CJ-7 with a 304 and am loving it so far. The only real issue I have at the moment is that I can't keep it cool. If I could constantly keep the speed up above 45 MPH I would be set I think. Stopping at lights or for trains and the temp gauge jumps up pretty quickly.

Right after I got it, I had the water pump and radiator replaced with both new parts. The guy I bought it from said he had replaced the thermostat already a few months ago. While I didn't verify this by physically inspecting it, the gasket looks brand new. Also when I got it the clutch fan was missing it's shroud. So my 1st thought after replacing the radiator was to install an electric fan.

I removed the clutch fan and set the new electric fan up as a puller on the inside of the radiator. I can verify that it moves some air, but the Jeep still runs hot at idle or slow speeds.

I am going to take it to a radiator place this week and just have them inspect everything to make sure it's actually flowing good, but other than that I am not real sure what to do. I'm almost to the point to drop $1000 on the Aluminium radiator and electric fan setup from Novak, but that's a hard pill to swallow especially after I just paid to have a new one installed.

A few things I plan on doing next. Let it come up to temperature with the radiator cap off and then take an actual temperature of the fluid. I don't have a IR temp reader, but I have a really good probe thermometer I can use, its upper limit is 600F.

Just looking for any thoughts or ideas I could try. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by nhudson; 06-03-2019 at 09:56 PM..

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Another Running Hot Post 

Old 06-04-2019, 08:55 AM   #2
hole
Full Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ 8, 258 I6, T19, 4-1 Dana 300,4.0 Head, Mopar MPI, 10k winch, OME YJ springs w/3" lift,CS 144 Alt upgrade,Locked 20 & 30, Husky & Border Collie co-pilots are stock.

With few exceptions, I take PO's word and work with a grain of salt. That said, I'd pull and verify the thermostat is in correctly and right temp range, and while I was there just replace it. Cheap insurance.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to hole For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (08-01-2019)

Old 06-04-2019, 09:06 AM   #3
coldair
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1986 cj7 in the works,4.88 gears, Yukon air locker Rear axle dana 44, Dana 30 with ARB locker, 33x13.50 toyo tires, high output 4.0, Mpfi from xj, york on board air, AX15, twin stick Dana 300, 8000 pound warn, held together by hopes and dreams. 1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhudson View Post
A few things I plan on doing next. Let it come up to temperature with the radiator cap off and then take an actual temperature of the fluid. I don't have a IR temp reader, but I have a really good probe thermometer I can use, its upper limit is 600F.
Please dont pull the radiator cap off when your jeep is at operating temp. You will get burned.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
gert
Need a Life Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

another thing to do while you are trouble shooting this is to use the radiator flush stuff in your n=motor to clean up the rust deposits in the block. i would think a stock 304 would not have that much trouble keeping cool

Old 06-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,106 Posts

I hope you are not depending on just the OEM temp gauge here.
Many things can cause a false temp readings.
One of the biggest factors to cause a false high temp reading of the OEM gauge is the dash panel's ground(GND)connection. Many of us run a dedicated wire from the panel to the battery NEG(-)post
The other, is mis-matched sender and gauge.
Unless the seller handed you a receipt for this 'new' radiator etc. Don't believe him.
Are you running a fan shroud? You really should.
Also-A lean fuel mixture will cause higher engine temps.

LG

Old 06-05-2019, 09:21 AM   #6
nhudson
New Jeeper

Thanks for the replies. I went and bought a mechanical temp gauge and new 195F thermostat. I'll get them both installed after I get back from vacation. I think I'm just putting too much trust in the 40 year old stock gauge, the new radiator and electric fan definitely helps cool things down. I'll know for sure exactly what the temp is once I get the new gauge installed. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2019, 01:15 PM   #7
JacksonLakeJeep
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '85 CJ7, 258 I6

What's the verdict?

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I went and bought a mechanical temp gauge and new 195F thermostat. I'll get them both installed after I get back from vacation. I think I'm just putting too much trust in the 40 year old stock gauge, the new radiator and electric fan definitely helps cool things down. I'll know for sure exactly what the temp is once I get the new gauge installed. I'll report back. Thanks again.

Old 08-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
nhudson
New Jeeper

Funny you ask today, I finally did the following work over this past weekend.

1: new aluminum radiator with dual electric fans
2: 180f thermostat
3: FlowKooler Water Pump
4: New upper and lower radiator hose and heater hoses.

Still runs hot if I am not moving. I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point. I've taken it to a radiator shop and they told me what I put on should be sufficient to cool the jeep. I will say it cools much better while it's driving, but if I ever come to a stop or idle for too long it will overheat.

Nick

Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
gert
Need a Life Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1983 cj7, 1971 Dart, 2005 Ram Cummins, 2008 softail custom

Quote:
Funny you ask today, I finally did the following work over this past weekend.

1: new aluminum radiator with dual electric fans
2: 180f thermostat
3: FlowKooler Water Pump
4: New upper and lower radiator hose and heater hoses.

Still runs hot if I am not moving. I'm not really sure what else I can do at this point. I've taken it to a radiator shop and they told me what I put on should be sufficient to cool the jeep. I will say it cools much better while it's driving, but if I ever come to a stop or idle for too long it will overheat.

Nick

How lean is running? Ignition timing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-01-2019, 05:59 PM   #10
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,106 Posts
Could be lean fuel issue.
Need to check for vacuum leads.
Confirm your ign timing is correct.
Did you install the mech temp gauge and sender?
LG