Default Another gear advice post 

Old 12-31-2019, 03:27 PM   #1
JohnKcj5
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82 CJ5, 304, 4 speed, AMC 20, WARN 8274, 3" lift, 33" ProComp M/T's

Hey, guys. Getting ready to regear and need some advice. I'm looking to add some pep and fun.

Current setup: Built 304(about as much as can be), T176, AMC 20 rear/Dana 30 front, 2:73 gears, 33" tires.

Driving habits: Never over 60mph. No rock climbing. Offroading is mostly trails and some mud holes. Low locking stock gears does what I need.

Trying to decide between 4:11 and 4:56. I've read a couple of posts that said you don't really use 1st gear on the streets with 4:56. That sounds a little low for my needs. According to the rpm calculator, 4:56 would put me around 2800rpm at 60mph. 4:[email protected]

1. What is the idea rpm for cruising an hour or two? At 3000rpm, it just 'sounds' like it's over working a bit.

2. Would first gear be useless in normal driving conditions with 4:56?

Thanks, guys.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Another gear advice post 

Old 12-31-2019, 05:50 PM   #2
Patrick
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30 68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction

A first gear ratio of about 2.7 and r and p of 4.11 will be peppy, but the absence of an OD gear might be the set back. Go ahead and look for that famous fully functional gear ratio chart on line. That is a great resource.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:39 PM   #3
JohnKcj5
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
A first gear ratio of about 2.7 and r and p of 4.11 will be peppy, but the absence of an OD gear might be the set back. Go ahead and look for that famous fully functional gear ratio chart on line. That is a great resource.
Yea, I've looked at the chart several times. I'm trying to figure out at what RPM then engine is reving a bit high. Where is the 'comfort' zone for the 304?

Old 12-31-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
Patrick
Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 82 CJ5, LS 6.2, NV3550/D300, D44/30 68 CJ5, 350, Muncie/D18, D44/27 under construction

I looked up your transmission and, favorably, you have a fairly deep first gear. I would not go deeper than 3.73 gears. That is a good compromise of launch torque and cruising speed without an OD gear. But thatís my opinion. Letís see what other users have to say.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:50 PM   #5
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,184 Times in 1,106 Posts
3:73
You gonna use locking diffs or LSD?
You really need to go to 1 piece axles in that rear 20.
Hope you have power brakes.
Gary

Old 01-01-2020, 01:47 PM   #6
JohnKcj5
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
3:73
You gonna use locking diffs or LSD?
You really need to go to 1 piece axles in that rear 20.
Hope you have power brakes.
Gary
Thanks for the replies.

Going with Eaton Turetrac in the rear and probably an Aussie up front.

1 piece axles are on the list. But one project at a time. I don't ever dump the clutch or bounce it around on the trails anyway. Just want something to take off faster once it's rolling. I'm riding the clutch way to much taking off with these 2:73 gears.

Why power brakes? I'm guessing because the lower gear tends to push through the brakes? I'm in the habit of clutching at the same time I hit the brakes anyway. So it shouldn't matter, right?

Old 01-01-2020, 03:08 PM   #7
Patrick
Jeeper

John, I gather that you are a light offroader looking to improve your vehicleís performance in terms of power. If this is the case, you are in the right track with the gearing. You canít raise your engineís power by changing gears. But you can transform it for improved torque delivery and fuel economy.

I would advise you to stay away from the Aussie locker. Eatonís Truetrac front and rear is a superb system but expensive. The cheap but feasible alternative is Dana Spicerís Trac Loc system, although I am not sure if there is a D30 version or an equivalent for your AMC20. Power or non assisted brake system is irrelevant.

I have a moderately powered V8. My take off launches were unstable and scary to say the least when I had an open differential. When I upgraded to a D44 with the Trac Loc, my launches were drastically improved. It ďinsistsĒ on a straight departure. The more aggressive the launch, the more it insists.

I understand that you want the Aussie in the front. Itís overkill and will severely alter steering manners. But in the end, itís your call. Good luck!

Old 01-01-2020, 07:52 PM   #8
JohnKcj5
Junior Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
John, I gather that you are a light offroader looking to improve your vehicleís performance in terms of power. If this is the case, you are in the right track with the gearing. You canít raise your engineís power by changing gears. But you can transform it for improved torque delivery and fuel economy.

I would advise you to stay away from the Aussie locker. Eatonís Truetrac front and rear is a superb system but expensive. The cheap but feasible alternative is Dana Spicerís Trac Loc system, although I am not sure if there is a D30 version or an equivalent for your AMC20. Power or non assisted brake system is irrelevant.

I have a moderately powered V8. My take off launches were unstable and scary to say the least when I had an open differential. When I upgraded to a D44 with the Trac Loc, my launches were drastically improved. It ďinsistsĒ on a straight departure. The more aggressive the launch, the more it insists.

I understand that you want the Aussie in the front. Itís overkill and will severely alter steering manners. But in the end, itís your call. Good luck!
Thanks, Patrick.

Yea, I'm a light off roader. My first inclination was Truetrac front and back. Then started reading that if one wheel is in the air, the other won't pull. With solid axles, that's not uncommon just crossing a small creek at an angle.
I think I'm gonna go with Truetrac all around and 3:73 gears. Money isn't a problem. I'll get those solid axles too just for peace of mind.

I appreciate everybody's advice.