Default Steering Pump Pulley Wobble and Whine 

Old 03-01-2019, 02:59 AM   #1
CollinKing2233
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ7 304

New to the forum, just purchased a 1980 CJ7 304. After driving it a few days i noticed that the steering pump pulley has a slight wobble and whine. Should i replace the pump and try to reuse the pulley? Could it be the belt? Dont see as how the pulley could be bent but i guess its also a possiblity. Any help much appreciated.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: Steering Pump Pulley Wobble and Whine 

Old 03-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
caveman
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear

If the pump is whining you will most likely be needing a new pump soon. The new pump should come with a pulley.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
cglax6
Senior Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '76 CJ5, 304, T18/D20, D44 (open), D30 (open), 2.5" BDS spring lift, 31x10.5x15 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman View Post
If the pump is whining you will most likely be needing a new pump soon. The new pump should come with a pulley.

I agree.

If the pulley is wobbling, you're going to need a new pump. The pump will come with a pulley.

When you install, just make sure everything is aligned correctly and that you have enough tension on the belt. Pretty easy job...pinch off your rubber lines to prevent a mess before you remove them.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:31 PM   #4
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Quote:

Well I just went through this for the 258 engine I'm rebuilding. Had know idea what condition the pump was in, did look tired and worn so I went to NAPA. Bought the pump, but it doesn't come with the fluid tank or pulley. You remove the pulley and tank and install on the new pump. NAPA said they don't sell the complete setup. Luckily my buddy had the correct puller for the pulley. Maybe some other part house sells it complete

Old 03-02-2019, 09:20 AM   #5
caveman
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 88 YJ with a CJ nose, 4.7 Stroker, AW4 transmission, Dana 35 HP front Ford 8.8 rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizean View Post
Well I just went through this for the 258 engine I'm rebuilding. Had know idea what condition the pump was in, did look tired and worn so I went to NAPA. Bought the pump, but it doesn't come with the fluid tank or pulley. You remove the pulley and tank and install on the new pump. NAPA said they don't sell the complete setup. Luckily my buddy had the correct puller for the pulley. Maybe some other part house sells it complete
I just double checked your information and you're right. No compete power steering pumps from NAPA. Real strange. Maybe someone else does have them.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
JimsCJ5
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ5 Renegade 258, t-18 pretty much stock except for a later model aluminum intake manifold and Gronk 2150.

I just bought a refurbished one from Summits. The price was right but core return is a PITA and the shipping eats the $$ right up. You can buy them with or without the reservoir but I have not seen one that includes a pulley.
You should borrow the proper tool from an auto parts store to remove and reinstall the original pulley. I think using the wrong type of puller will bend them. Also the mounting bolts are not included. These are the two shouldered studs on the back. You will need to reuse these.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
RiverandSand
Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20

Quote:
Maybe someone else does have them.

Rockauto sells them with or without a reservoir but none with a pulley.
My pulley was bent too, had to order it separately, got it from Autozone.
Harbor freight sells remover/installers for about 20 bucks.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #8
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Quote:
I just double checked your information and you're right. No compete power steering pumps from NAPA. Real strange. Maybe someone else does have them.

Thanks for double checking. Went last week to the Napa ( big warehouse). Got stuck with a counter person ( Sunday) who knew very little and got two belts that were wrong. Went back Monday with the old belts and worked with an assistant manager and he apologize and found the exhaust manifold studs the other person could not find and made it right and gave me those free

Old 03-02-2019, 11:16 AM   #9
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsCJ5 View Post
I just bought a refurbished one from Summits. The price was right but core return is a PITA and the shipping eats the $$ right up. You can buy them with or without the reservoir but I have not seen one that includes a pulley.
You should borrow the proper tool from an auto parts store to remove and reinstall the original pulley. I think using the wrong type of puller will bend them. Also the mounting bolts are not included. These are the two shouldered studs on the back. You will need to reuse these.
Correct. Keep the old one until finished redoing the new one completely

Old 03-02-2019, 11:44 AM   #10
caveman
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belizean View Post
Thanks for double checking. Went last week to the Napa ( big warehouse). Got stuck with a counter person ( Sunday) who knew very little and got two belts that were wrong. Went back Monday with the old belts and worked with an assistant manager and he apologize and found the exhaust manifold studs the other person could not find and made it right and gave me those free
Luckily I come from a small town where the nearby Napa only has 3 employees including the owner that works the counter. She inherited the business from her father 50 years ago and can find most any obsolete item that I might need. She showed me how to use the NAPA website to find the simple stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post:
Belizean (03-02-2019)