Default Re: Steering linkage pics 

Old 10-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #11
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,113 Posts
If you do not have a title(AKA 'pink-slip')in your name. YOU, do not own this motor vehicle, in any legal sense. How can you expect to register a vehicle and insure it, if you are not the registered owner?
Bill of sale only proves you didn't steal it.........
I wish you only good luck here! But, you may have a battle on your hands with your state's dept of motor vehicles.
Respectfully,
LG

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 10-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
JCM 1420
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '84 CJ 7, 258, 4 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
If you do not have a title(AKA 'pink-slip')in your name. YOU, do not own this motor vehicle, in any legal sense. How can you expect to register a vehicle and insure it, if you are not the registered owner?
Bill of sale only proves you didn't steal it.........
I wish you only good luck here! But, you may have a battle on your hands with your state's dept of motor vehicles.
Respectfully,
LG
Common practice in GA on vehicles before '85. Already have it registered and insured.

FYI - the way it works is you can register a vehicle made before 85 if the previous registration in the state system is under the name of the person who you have a bill of sale from. If this isn't the case, then you submit a form, they run numbers to make sure the vehicle isn't stolen. All of this only applies in GA, I'm not sure of other states.

In my case it had a current registration to the guy I bought it from, so it wasn't a big deal at all, they even provide a boilerplate bill of sale from the DMV.

Is it ideal, probably not, but I was willing to roll with it on a cheap 3rd vehicle/project vehicle.

Appreciate the help guys, this forum is proving to be a wealth of information, looks like I'm going to be looking at a shackle swap, off to search the old threads I go.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to JCM 1420 For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (10-14-2016)

Old 10-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #13
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,191 Times in 1,113 Posts
Glad to hear this.
Sounds like you live in a state that has reasonable requirements.
very few states would be that easy to work with.
Heck-I still have to SMOG test my '85, CJ-7 every 2 years here in PRK(CA.)
LG

Old 10-24-2016, 01:30 PM   #14
JCM 1420
New Jeeper

Bumping this thread with an update...

Switched out my front shackles, didn't measure them but they were clearly longer than stock by a good bit. For now I've just got some cheap crown shackles up front as I wanted to see what other problems I might uncover.

Steering and handling is 10x's better than it was. It still has some issues but I feel a lot more comfortably tackling them one at a time now that the general geometry is close to what it should be.

Long term plan is to order a 2.5 inch lift kit with new leaf springs and shackles just to get all new hardware.

I would say the stock shackles are probably half as long as the shackles that were on the jeep, and the change in stance in barely noticeable.

Old 10-24-2016, 01:55 PM   #15
Torxhead
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '86 CJ,258,T-18,4:1,Dana 44s

Thanks for the update, looking at those Crown spring shackles on the net, they seem to look pretty oem.

Old 10-29-2016, 03:01 PM   #16
DHugg
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '80 CJ7 304AMC crate with 8KMiles: MC2100 - AMC20 rear w/Superiors - Dana30 front - TF999 - Dana300TC - 35x12.5's - Tilt steer column - Flaming Rvr EZ-Steer Shaft - AGR Super Pump - AGR Super Box II - RockyRidge HD Brace - New home-designed digital TEMP - GAS - OILPR - CALIBRATE gauges.

JCM 1420:
I just finished a rebuild of the entire frontend, 1980 CJ-7, for the same reasons you gave..... it wanted all the road when a pothole shakes up the front end. The tierod/draglink fip was the easiest. The knuckle in the front wheel axles was the next to worst, one locked up, the other really stiff. The WORST was getting the upper/lower ball joints out and new ones back in. My wife could hear me from the kitchen; said she learned a few new words.

Old 10-31-2016, 08:50 AM   #17
JCM 1420
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHugg View Post
JCM 1420:
I just finished a rebuild of the entire frontend, 1980 CJ-7, for the same reasons you gave..... it wanted all the road when a pothole shakes up the front end. The tierod/draglink fip was the easiest. The knuckle in the front wheel axles was the next to worst, one locked up, the other really stiff. The WORST was getting the upper/lower ball joints out and new ones back in. My wife could hear me from the kitchen; said she learned a few new words.
Thanks for the tips. A complete front end rebuild is in the future, probably at the same time as I replace the springs. Just swapping the shackles really helped things so for now I'm content with the handling. Next up is fixing the very intermittent stall at idle (it's a pain to trouble shoot when it doesn't happen very often) and figuring out what part of my drive train is leaking like a sieve dripping oil all over the driveway. Oh yeah, and the funny noise related to the clutch/transmission. Hopefully I'll have it squared away by the Spring.

Thanks again to everyone on this site, I've found a ton of great information through searching old threads.