Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 12-21-2018, 12:46 PM   #11
RiverandSand is offline
RiverandSand
Senior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): '80, CJ5, 350 sbc, sm465, D300, D30, AMC20
 
RiverandSand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Yuma
Posts: 386
Thanks: 22
Thanked 84 Times in 75 Posts
Rep Power: 4 RiverandSand is on a distinguished road
I went through the steering debacle with mine, it came with an unknown ps box which leaked badly. I think it came from GM truck nothing fit except the hydro lines. A PO had hacked in a rag style coupler which hit the frame and welded crooked. I ripped it all out and put in a H1 box and a Omix HD PS steering shaft.
The things I learned; rag style couplers never came on a 80s CJ, bell type only. Hummer H1 box fits without any mods, but are metric and getting harder to find. Omix HD shaft is anything but HD does fit though, probably will buy a Borgensen shaft at some point. 13/16 input shaft 32 splines. My BDS spring package came with a dropped pitman arm which I used.
Do a search for H1 steering box install and you will find a wealth of info not just on the H1 box but the J20 box too.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote


Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 12-21-2018, 02:33 PM   #12
jp360cj is offline
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 607
Thanks: 17
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Rep Power: 3 jp360cj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDave View Post

I saw that variable offers a better drive. The box I have now has .8 ID with 31 splines + flat spot. Not opposed to returning it if thereís something thatíll work better (i.e., I can find a coupling that fits!!!!). As for my lines, I have SAE fittings and want to keep them - not desire to mod the fittings on a 1980+ box. I have power steering; from what Iíve seen on various sites they differentiate between no-PS and PS (for couplings). I still have OEM pitman arm but if I need to purchase a new thatís fine as they arenít very expensive.



As for power, Iím not looking to make this a trail ride so if you think Waggy/J10 would be my best bet I trust your judgement. At some point Iím going to install a lift as the PO put 33s on it and I need a bit more clearance (2.5" lift), not sure if thatís a factor in any of this.

I personally prefer the way the variable rate drives. It's less sensitive on the road and not as twitchy as the OEM CJ boxes.

If the box you have now has SAE then you can just get a CJ power steering coupling.

If it were me, I would return it, and get a box for a 78 Wagoneer and a CJ manual steering coupling.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 02-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #13
splyn is offline
splyn
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ7. I4. stock.
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Maryland
Age: 46
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 splyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
I think MrBass is correct on the spline counts..the couplers are fully splined, so they list as having more splines than the input shaft with the flat spot.

What's the diameter of the input shaft on your old steering box? It sounds like you probably have a steering box from a FSJ. They use the same 3/4" coupling as the CJ manual steering boxes. CJ power steering boxes use a 13/16" coupling. The FSJ boxes are also variable rate, which IMO offers a much better driving experience than the single rate CJ boxes.
The power steering box on my 1980 CJ7 was leaking badly (and by the looks of the gunk build up, the PO did nothing to fix it for years). I was hoping to swap in a J20 box for the variable rate for better highway handling. However, the J20 box i got from NAPA doesnt fit the manual steering coupling i purchased. I looked at the AutoZone website and The spline counts reported match the spline counts my power and manual steering couplings so i believe their specs are accurate. Researching input diameter sizes and spline counts for supposedly compatible boxes, i find no evidence that the FSJ boxes would ever fit the manual coupling. I checked various years but still no luck. Am i missing something?

1980 CJ7 Manual Steering: Input Shaft Spline Count: 34
1980 J20: Input Shaft Spline Count: 26
1980 Wagoneer: Input Shaft Spline Count: 26

It does appear the the H1 box is a direct fit upgrade for a CJ with power steering.
1980 CJ7 Power Steering: Input Shaft Spline Count: 32
2002 H1: Input Shaft Spline Count: 32

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 02-24-2019, 11:40 PM   #14
jp360cj is offline
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 607
Thanks: 17
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Rep Power: 3 jp360cj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
The power steering box on my 1980 CJ7 was leaking badly (and by the looks of the gunk build up, the PO did nothing to fix it for years). I was hoping to swap in a J20 box for the variable rate for better highway handling. However, the J20 box i got from NAPA doesnt fit the manual steering coupling i purchased. I looked at the AutoZone website and The spline counts reported match the spline counts my power and manual steering couplings so i believe their specs are accurate. Researching input diameter sizes and spline counts for supposedly compatible boxes, i find no evidence that the FSJ boxes would ever fit the manual coupling. I checked various years but still no luck. Am i missing something?

1980 CJ7 Manual Steering: Input Shaft Spline Count: 34
1980 J20: Input Shaft Spline Count: 26
1980 Wagoneer: Input Shaft Spline Count: 26

It does appear the the H1 box is a direct fit upgrade for a CJ with power steering.
1980 CJ7 Power Steering: Input Shaft Spline Count: 32
2002 H1: Input Shaft Spline Count: 32
The steering gear inputs have a flat spot and aren't fully splined. This is why there are discrepancies on the spline count and is a poor way to judge the fitment of the couplings. It's been a while since I looked a CJ manual box, but maybe the manual box has a smaller flat spot. But both the CJ manual and CJ power couplings have 36 splines (per Flaming River specs). The differnce is the diamenter of the input shaft.

I pulled the steering off of a Grand Waggy (~85-ish IIRC) for my power steering swap. Cut the nipple off and my manual shaft fit perfectly. Also, best I can tell, the '80+ J20 came with the exact power steering box as the '80+ J10 & SJ, not advantage to the J20 in those years like in the mid/late 70s.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 02-27-2019, 07:58 AM   #15
splyn is offline
splyn
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ7. I4. stock.
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Maryland
Age: 46
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rep Power: 0 splyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
The steering gear inputs have a flat spot and aren't fully splined. This is why there are discrepancies on the spline count and is a poor way to judge the fitment of the couplings. It's been a while since I looked a CJ manual box, but maybe the manual box has a smaller flat spot. But both the CJ manual and CJ power couplings have 36 splines (per Flaming River specs). The differnce is the diamenter of the input shaft.

I pulled the steering off of a Grand Waggy (~85-ish IIRC) for my power steering swap. Cut the nipple off and my manual shaft fit perfectly. Also, best I can tell, the '80+ J20 came with the exact power steering box as the '80+ J10 & SJ, not advantage to the J20 in those years like in the mid/late 70s.
It turns out the Omix bell coupling I got is a POS. Spline count is way off, splines are barely cut into the housing, much thinner material, etc. I did spend some time counting the splines and extrapolating for the flat, ad it seems the data I found was inconsistent. Some counts did not include the flat, while others did. To eliminate problems with bell couplings and finding parts that fit, I ordered up a Borgeson shaft. At least I know if there is a problem with fit, they will work with me to get it taken care of.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 02-27-2019, 09:02 AM   #16
jp360cj is offline
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: NC
Posts: 607
Thanks: 17
Thanked 120 Times in 111 Posts
Rep Power: 3 jp360cj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
Some counts did not include the flat, while others did.
I had the same experience. From what I have seen, the best gauge for the Saginaw input shafts and couplings is the diameter, not the spline count.

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 02-27-2019, 09:11 PM   #17
mtnwhlr is offline
mtnwhlr
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 cj7, 91 cherokee, 78 chevy 3500 pu, 78 CJ7
 
mtnwhlr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Frederick colorado
Age: 63
Posts: 6,107
Images: 57
Thanks: 725
Thanked 925 Times in 823 Posts
Rep Power: 15 mtnwhlr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by splyn View Post
It turns out the Omix bell coupling I got is a POS. Spline count is way off, splines are barely cut into the housing, much thinner material, etc.
Just more proof we need to stop wasting our hard earned $ on their crap. Maybe if there sales drop they will figure it out. I doubt it but how knows.
__________________
your not having fun until they dial 911

 

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
arm , box , coupler , gear , gear box , lower , oem , power steering , steering


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
U-Joint Style Steering Coupler Neuner Suspension and Steering 50 10-10-2015 05:01 PM
Coupler Steering Vick68 Suspension and Steering 1 10-24-2013 12:19 PM
Steering shaft coupler.Cheap fix. 1979cj71ton Suspension and Steering 11 06-29-2013 08:04 PM
Steering coupler question dr3amline Suspension and Steering 14 01-19-2012 11:50 PM
Speedometer gear coupler 84 Cj-7 lastseen Drivetrain 3 05-14-2011 09:47 PM


Vote for Jeep-CJ.com