Default OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 12-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
JeepDave
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '78 CJ7, 304

Hey folks, I'm working on replacing my power steering pump and gear box and have run into a snag. The gear box I purchased doesn't appear to be compatible with the lower steering shaft coupling (OEM). The specs for the gear box are below:

Input shaft spline count: 31 + Flat & Notch
Input shaft diameter: .88"

I tried to spread the opening of the coupling but it still didn't receive the shaft (too narrow) then I noticed how worn the splines were and decided to replace it completely. The spring turned out to be broken too so I guess it's good I kept digging

Here's the link to the part I purchased from AAP: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...521/10394255-P (look at specs).

Do I need a coupling that has 31 splines or something with less because of the flat portion of the shaft? Lots of sites sell the lower coupler kit and they all supposedly "fit" my Jeep but Quadratec said their coupler was something like .71" with 27 splines, or something to that effect.
Attached Thumbnails
coupler.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 12-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
mriplaybass
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear, 1959 CJ5, 1954 CJ3B, 1967 CJ5, 1947 IHC KB1, 1947 IHC KB2, 1947 IHC KS5, 1967 Mustang Coupe,

It's been awhile since I worked on a steering shaft, but if I recall correctly, you have to extrapolate the spline count for the flat spot on the shaft. I did mine by finding the middle of the shaft, then counting the number of splines then multiply it by 2. If you try to order a part by only counting the number of splines that mate up with the shaft, you will have the wrong count.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to mriplaybass For This Useful Post:
JeepDave (12-18-2018)

Old 12-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #3
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

I think MrBass is correct on the spline counts..the couplers are fully splined, so they list as having more splines than the input shaft with the flat spot.

What's the diameter of the input shaft on your old steering box? It sounds like you probably have a steering box from a FSJ. They use the same 3/4" coupling as the CJ manual steering boxes. CJ power steering boxes use a 13/16" coupling. The FSJ boxes are also variable rate, which IMO offers a much better driving experience than the single rate CJ boxes.

You have a few choices....you can either get a CJ power steering coupling or return the box and get a FSJ box (wagoneer, J10, J20). You'll also want to check the fittings on your old box. Anything '79 and older will have SAE flare fittings and anything '80 and newer will be metric O-ring fittings. It will make your life easier if you keep them matched up.

The Following User Says Thank You to jp360cj For This Useful Post:
JeepDave (12-18-2018)

Old 12-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
JeepDave
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriplaybass View Post
It's been awhile since I worked on a steering shaft, but if I recall correctly, you have to extrapolate the spline count for the flat spot on the shaft. I did mine by finding the middle of the shaft, then counting the number of splines then multiply it by 2. If you try to order a part by only counting the number of splines that mate up with the shaft, you will have the wrong count.
Thanks very much for posting Bass, I'll give this a go this weekend. Not sure why couplings would have splines all the way around when there's a flat spot on the gear box shaft.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:43 AM   #5
JeepDave
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
I think MrBass is correct on the spline counts..the couplers are fully splined, so they list as having more splines than the input shaft with the flat spot.

What's the diameter of the input shaft on your old steering box? It sounds like you probably have a steering box from a FSJ. They use the same 3/4" coupling as the CJ manual steering boxes. CJ power steering boxes use a 13/16" coupling. The FSJ boxes are also variable rate, which IMO offers a much better driving experience than the single rate CJ boxes.

You have a few choices....you can either get a CJ power steering coupling or return the box and get a FSJ box (wagoneer, J10, J20). You'll also want to check the fittings on your old box. Anything '79 and older will have SAE flare fittings and anything '80 and newer will be metric O-ring fittings. It will make your life easier if you keep them matched up.
Thank you for your insights JP. I'm going to do some more homework on the part I purchased and hopefully I can find a coupling that fits or I'll return the damn thing and purchase one that fits a full size Jeep (gear box and coupler).

As for my old gear box, I made a rookie mistake and returned the core so I no longer have it to measure the input shaft. Foolish me thought that all these pieces would fit together with no problem. Man I regret that now...

What's more, I'll bet my OEM Pitman Arm will need to be replaced as I'm sure it doesn't fit the new output shaft. DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!

Old 12-19-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
mriplaybass
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear, 1959 CJ5, 1954 CJ3B, 1967 CJ5, 1947 IHC KB1, 1947 IHC KB2, 1947 IHC KS5, 1967 Mustang Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDave View Post
Thanks very much for posting Bass, I'll give this a go this weekend. Not sure why couplings would have splines all the way around when there's a flat spot on the gear box shaft.
Because the couplings will fit more shafts than just the one with the flat spot if there are no splines where the shaft is flat. Someone actually thought about this ahead of time when designing the coupling!

The Following User Says Thank You to mriplaybass For This Useful Post:
JeepDave (12-20-2018)

Question Re: OEM Steering arm lower coupler and new gear box 

Old 12-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #7
JeepDave
New Jeeper

After searching and searching and searching I can't find a rag joint that'll fit the steering box I purchased so I'm going to return it and purchase this one as there seem to be a ton of couplers that should be compatible...

https://www.pepboys.com/a1-cardone-r....0L?quantity=1

Specs:

Output shaft spline count: 32
Output shaft diameter: 1.25
Outlet port size: 16mm X 1.5
Input shaft type: Splined
Input shaft spline count: 26
Input shaft diameter: 0.72
Inlet port size: 18mm X 1.5

My question as I continue to noodle this repair, how many splines does the coupler need in order to be compatible? I've seen couplers with .7 ID and assume that'll squeeze over a .72 ID, it's the number of splines I haven't figured out yet.

I also need to count the spines on my OEM Pitman Arm. My guess is I'll have to purchase a new PA as well...

Thoughts, comments, donations

Old 12-20-2018, 10:31 AM   #8
jp360cj
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 360, 6.32 T18, D20, Narrowed Chevy D44 front, 9" rear

This is getting more complicated than it needs to be...

I doubt you'll find a rag joint fit the OEM steering shaft anyway. To my knowledge, your only options for the OEM shaft are the 3/4" coupling (for CJ manual steering) and 13/16" (for CJ power steering). The 3/4" coupling also fits the FSJ power steering boxes.

Did you measure the input of the box you bought? Did you try to put a CJ power steering coupler on it? Rock Auto lists the input shaft at 0.80", not 0.88" like Advance Auto. The 0.80" should be correct. I suspect a typo on AA's website.

What is this Pep Boys box supposed to fit? Whatever it is, it's for a 1980 and newer because it has metric fittings. You need to look at your lines and figure out what you have now. If you have metric fittings, then a newer box is what you will want. If you have SAE fittings, then you will either need an older box with matching fittings, or you'll have to get new lines. For the pressure side, that means a custom line, adapter on the steering box, or changing the fitting on the box.

Figure out what lines you have, what features you want in the box (big bore, small bore, fixed or variable rate) and I can tell you what box and coupling to get. But my recommendation would be a Waggy/J10 box with CJ manual coupler unless you feel like you need more power from a big bore box. Year of the box will depend on which lines you have.

The Following User Says Thank You to jp360cj For This Useful Post:
JeepDave (12-21-2018)

Old 12-20-2018, 02:06 PM   #9
hagar
Senior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 47 CJ2A 225V6 SM420 D18 w/Warn overdrive D30 5:38 Power Lok D44 5:38 Flanged Detroit Locker

To my knowledge, all the Jeep power steering gear boxes use the larger diameter coupler.
I have a 1973 Wagoneer power steering gear on my Jeep and it used the larger power steering coupler.
I can't speak for all the other odd ball Saginaw boxes out there.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #10
JeepDave
New Jeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp360cj View Post
This is getting more complicated than it needs to be...

I doubt you'll find a rag joint fit the OEM steering shaft anyway. To my knowledge, your only options for the OEM shaft are the 3/4" coupling (for CJ manual steering) and 13/16" (for CJ power steering). The 3/4" coupling also fits the FSJ power steering boxes.

Did you measure the input of the box you bought? Did you try to put a CJ power steering coupler on it? Rock Auto lists the input shaft at 0.80", not 0.88" like Advance Auto. The 0.80" should be correct. I suspect a typo on AA's website.

What is this Pep Boys box supposed to fit? Whatever it is, it's for a 1980 and newer because it has metric fittings. You need to look at your lines and figure out what you have now. If you have metric fittings, then a newer box is what you will want. If you have SAE fittings, then you will either need an older box with matching fittings, or you'll have to get new lines. For the pressure side, that means a custom line, adapter on the steering box, or changing the fitting on the box.

Figure out what lines you have, what features you want in the box (big bore, small bore, fixed or variable rate) and I can tell you what box and coupling to get. But my recommendation would be a Waggy/J10 box with CJ manual coupler unless you feel like you need more power from a big bore box. Year of the box will depend on which lines you have.
Awesome man, yes this is getting FAR too complicated (for me at least). I just want the correct parts so I can put everything back together and drive my rig Ė even if itís only 25degrees out 

I saw that variable offers a better drive. The box I have now has .8 ID with 31 splines + flat spot. Not opposed to returning it if thereís something thatíll work better (i.e., I can find a coupling that fits!!!!). As for my lines, I have SAE fittings and want to keep them - not desire to mod the fittings on a 1980+ box. I have power steering; from what Iíve seen on various sites they differentiate between no-PS and PS (for couplings). I still have OEM pitman arm but if I need to purchase a new thatís fine as they arenít very expensive.

As for power, Iím not looking to make this a trail ride so if you think Waggy/J10 would be my best bet I trust your judgement. At some point Iím going to install a lift as the PO put 33s on it and I need a bit more clearance (2.5" lift), not sure if thatís a factor in any of this.

I REALLY appreciate your help on this Ė made my night when I told my wife that Iím actually going to be able to move forward on this project