Default High Steer or SUA 

Old 08-17-2009, 10:06 PM   #1
Duane
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 81 CJ5

I have an 81CJ5 with a SOA and 35s that I just bought that the PO screwed up. The steering linkage was downright scary according to the smart guys on here. I tried to simulate the flip thing but the springs get in the way so that is out of the question.

I am looking at a couple of options here. One being high steer kit from Rocky Road (according to everything I can find they had some trouble with their YJ kit but the CJ kit is fine), but then there is issues of spring wrap and problably some stuff that that I haven't heard about yet or converting the SOA back to a SUA with a kit from someone. Trouble with the SUA is I am no welder, so I am not sure if that is even a possibility. I am looking for suggestions/advice on which way to go. I bought the jeep to mainly wheel but I would like to drive it on the highway every now and then. Ther are a few pics in my gallery but I can take any pics that you might need or want. Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: High Steer or SUA 

Old 08-18-2009, 08:16 AM   #2
Petescj
Jeep-CJ.com Moderator
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1980 CJ-7 258 / T-176 / Dana 300. 4 in Superlift springs 33 in Falken ATZ on aluminum wheels.

Thanked 1,203 Times in 911 Posts
Do the high steer. You would need to buy a complete sua lift including shocks and you would have to buy new perches and have them welded to your axles. More $$$ and more work.

Click HERE for my build thread. 80Cj-7

It's fun to be crazy , it opens so many more options!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
CJ
Owner & Administrator
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 5,834 Times in 602 Posts
Duane - I have spent hours reading about the high steer swap for the 30. About the only way to do it - easy bolt on - is use the OTT kit from Rocky Road. You can also buy high steer D30 knuckles and go that rout like these -->> Extreme Gear Off Road Products

and these -->> 1-ASP1001KK KNUCKLE/ARM KIT

You can also swap in a D44 and then add a high steer kit. Probably not the work you want to do.

The other way is to use your original D30 and use D44 knucles and parts - still quite a bit of work. -->> Good reading here -->> Building a custom hybrid front axle

Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

Duane, after reading all that and seeing what it costs, now you know why the PO cobbaled it together and sold it.
I can't believe some of our SOA guys haven't given any advice yet. I'm sure they will though given time.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:48 AM   #5
Duane
New Jeeper

I have decided to stay with the SOA and try to fix it so it will not kill me. I ordered the Rocky Road OTT steering yesterday and I am looking into a traction bar. Guy here in Huntsville quoted me a price of $500 to custom build one and 2 hours labor to intall one that I buy off of the web. I am still open to any suggestions that the SOA guys have to offer. Thanks

Old 08-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
BajaEdition
Resident 'Old' Jeep Shaman
Vehicle(s): 67 cj5,225 Dauntless, D30,chrome molies, detroit, D44, full floating detroit, custom steering, disc all the way around,2 inch lift on 31s, armored up 70 cj6 4 inch lift

I personally am not a fan of SOA
I find you have to do a bit of steering work to get things correct. Personally I would switch back to SUA and do a shackle reversal in the front.
Now that is my choice so I do not have to highly modify the steering setup.
Others have their ideas.
If you really want to know if your a Jeeper, get a CJ. Spend months sourcing parts and restoring it with the sweat of your own work, or go out and get a Wrangler and be part of the cookie cutter Jeep crowd.

BlueRibbon Coalition:
Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR the Public Instead of FROM the Public

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Old 08-22-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Zuni
Junior Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7, 03 WJ

I've decided today to at a minimum replace all the tie rods. I'm strongly concidering the RRO OTT kit as an option. I have SUA with a 2 1/2 inch OME lift. I'm 100% sure this will work fine or am I missing something?

Duane,

Let us know how the customer service is with Rocky Road. I've heard alot of bad things about there customer service (excuses, shipping very late, unresponsive, etc), however I've heard there products are of excellent quality. Just keep us informed of the quality and how long it took to get there kit. I may buy the kit this week as well if all goes okay. I'm also interested in there sliders.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #8
Duane
New Jeeper

Well I ordered the OTT steering system on Monday and was told that it would be about 3 weeks until it arrived. The parts were delivered today so my initial impression of Rocky Road is a big YES. The parts are seem to be very heavy duty and the instructions seem pretty straight forward. I will install the parts this weekend and let you know how everything works out.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:56 AM   #9
CJ
Owner & Administrator
Vehicle(s): '72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30 '82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30

Thanked 5,834 Times in 602 Posts
Glad you got the parts so fast and you like the quality. Looking forward to seeing it installed!

Blogs are for personal messages - not for questions best asked in the forums...

Thanks, --CJ

Old 08-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #10
Old Dog
Need a Life Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 83 CJ7 350 tbi, TH350, D300 twin sticked & clocked, narrowed Chief D44 Eaton Elocker & Moser shafts, Explorer 8.8 Detroit locker, 410's, RE 4.5" spring lift 1" body lift, 35" Claws, cage tied to frame, Corbeau baja seats, HD tie rod and draglink, u-bolts flipped, custom skid plate and sliders, Warn 9.5ti winch with Amsteel synthetic line

Remember to take lots of pic's as you go. You know how we all love pic's.