Question CJ-7 Original Shackles and new lift kit 

Old 03-10-2020, 04:48 PM   #1
TominMD
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): '77 CJ7, 258 (from an '84, remanufactured), T18 (to be confirmed), D30 (to be confirmed), diffs - stock (to be confirmed). Daily driver - 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited w/Hemi.

I'm planning to install a Skyjacker 2.5" lift kit on my 1977 CJ-7. The vehicle has the original suspension (leaf springs and shackles), although the tires had been upgraded to 33x12.5x15 by the PO. I haven't taken the vehicle into any serious off-road situation but feel certain that the tires will drag in the wheel wells with any serious articulation. Hence the reason for the lift kit. Additionally, the vehicle leans to the passenger side at the rear seeming to point to a leaf spring failure, but then they are 43-year old original equipment.

Inspecting the shackles I noticed that the bolts used in each OEM shackle seem to be pressed in or welded to the shackle. The nut is clearly visible on one end but there doesn't appear to be a hex head on the end of the shackle bolt. Has anyone seen this situation on old CJs? I had considered replacing the original shackles but was also trying to keep the cost of this upgrade down and figured I would just replace the shackles at a later point. The replacement stock-length shackles I was considering were the new greasable type and cost $200 per pair.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com