Default Re: 1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread 

Old 11-15-2019, 10:27 PM   #31
jfmcj7
New Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1985 CJ7 2012 2 Door Rubicon

I am a strong maybe, if work plays along.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Old 11-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmcj7 View Post
I am a strong maybe, if work plays along.
That works! I'll list you in the maybe column for now - just keep me updated as you're deciding.

As of Now - correct me if I'm wrong:

1: Jr
2: Cameron (Jr's Brother)
3: Oakie (Jr's Uncle)
4: Shelby (Jr's buddy in a explorer)
5: Coldair
6: Posi
7: BlueRocket (Bobby)
8: Bass & OJL
9: Shooby
10: Bill D & Carol
11: 007

Maybe(s):

1: jfmcj7

Post below and I'll sign you up if you're pretty confident on attending. Go ahead and let me know if maybe as well with some details and I'll list in the "maybe" column...

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Old 12-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #33
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to all subscribed. We're still on schedule for this run - does anyone have any questions, concerns, or anything planning wise they'd like to discuss here further?

Also PM me if you would like my cell number and we can talk directly. Just remember I'm on the West Coast CA as far as time zones I keep forgetting that myself and call Posi way late his time! lol

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

The Following User Says Thank You to JR74CJ5 For This Useful Post:
hagar (12-24-2019)

Old 01-10-2020, 05:32 PM   #34
Posi
Sr Respected Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 54 Willys 3B, FI 401, T-18, ARB Locked, Hinkey Sidewinder Winch

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR74CJ5 View Post

However, it was brought to my attention that 9/7 is Labor day. So chances are the 3 day weekend guys will be finishing up and leaving on Monday from the area. Which should leave us a pretty good day on Monday of wheeling, and definitely throughout the week. Just might mean I'll be up few days earlier than expected to get us spots.
If traveling or staying in a hotel on Labor Day weekend was a problem for some would moving it week later help? Iím not suggesting, just a thought. Seems the temps would be about the same, maybe more of a chance of rain, you would know better.

For the folks traveling in on Saturday or Sunday What accommodations are available (hotel, Airbnb, camping)?

Old 01-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #35
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posi View Post
If traveling or staying in a hotel on Labor Day weekend was a problem for some would moving it week later help? Iím not suggesting, just a thought. Seems the temps would be about the same, maybe more of a chance of rain, you would know better.

For the folks traveling in on Saturday or Sunday What accommodations are available (hotel, Airbnb, camping)?
Good questions Posi:

For the date change, we should be ok. The local crew will just get up there a bit earlier to make sure we have adequate room for a home base camp. The weather is up in the air, August probably still be a lot warmer, and September usually cools a little but not crazy on rain, however it may be rainy too... I'll do a bit more research on trends in last 5 years etc to check into it. The trail may be a bit busy still, but that can sometimes be a good thing as more people and parts to help when / if needed.

There is really not much hotel wise around. This is in the mountain ranges. There are some cabins around in Kyburz and Pollock Pines areas. They'd be about a hour drive on windy mountain Rd, but may be worth it to some. Where we normally camp, there is no electrical or water / plumbing hook ups, but in the area there are tons of campgrounds with these included. There are vault type toilets, and down the road are a few places with coin operated showers.

I'm planning to bring camp power by way of generators to have available for group use. I'll also be bringing a lot of camping gear for cooking and fresh water. I'll encourage everyone to bring their own water too, and we can get more if needed as well... More on that later. I'm also while there earlier planning to gather a good supply of fire wood for us if the fires are allowed.

All who are interested, google "Airport Flat Campground" in the El Dorado National Forest of California. Should be right by Loon Lake, and Gerle Creek Reservoir - North of Union Valley and Ice House Reservoir. For those not familiar with the area, its closest map huge landmark is west of Lake Tahoe.

Remember, when we do exit the Rubicon Trail, we'll leave through South Lake Tahoe too.

Lake Tahoe is about a hour and a half away from Airport flat is you take Highway 50 west from south lake Tahoe and go up the Ice House Rd turnoff from the highway. There are many hotels etc up that way if people get in earlier etc.

Posi is right though that the timing to find lodging before will be harder the longer you wait. You can check out Ice House Store on google, but it's hard to get answers from them...

I'm not good with Air B&B or whatever to see what's around in Kyburz etc, found few so I know there are options...

Remember also, if you like camping / have a camper your bringing, we'll be in the mountains already having a good time, so if you're early, come on up the mountain and join us. cool lakes to explore / fish, and swim in etc. Nice hiking and jeeping trails everywhere.

Or those of you that know each other meet up earlier if you want in Lake Tahoe, especially if you haven't seen / visited before. Nevada side gambling is legal, large hotels in South Lake Tahoe, - Lots to do either way.

I know some already have expressed they'll be around earlier too. So far I've taken off 9/3 through 9/18 from work (little over 2 weeks) to ensure I'm around for anything needed even after the official trip - keep in mind for those interested, we're thinking of doing some extra wheeling after the Rubicon week.

241 days until official start so far!

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Old 01-11-2020, 01:24 AM   #36
Belizean
Full Time Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 84 CJ7 4 banger-owned since new in 1984 bought off truck at dealership - rebuilding 258, T176 with Sniper EFI D300 tcase, 1 piece axels with locker

Just looked at the campground on google earth and there were some pictures. Beautiful area

Old 01-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #37
mriplaybass
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1979 CJ7 304 T18 w/6.32 lo d20 w/3.15 TeraLo D44 rear & D30 Front w/4.56 Eaton Elockers front and rear, 1959 CJ5, 1954 CJ3B, 1967 CJ5, 1947 IHC KB1, 1947 IHC KB2, 1947 IHC KS5, 1967 Mustang Coupe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR74CJ5 View Post
Good questions Posi:

For the date change, we should be ok. The local crew will just get up there a bit earlier to make sure we have adequate room for a home base camp. The weather is up in the air, August probably still be a lot warmer, and September usually cools a little but not crazy on rain, however it may be rainy too... I'll do a bit more research on trends in last 5 years etc to check into it. The trail may be a bit busy still, but that can sometimes be a good thing as more people and parts to help when / if needed.

There is really not much hotel wise around. This is in the mountain ranges. There are some cabins around in Kyburz and Pollock Pines areas. They'd be about a hour drive on windy mountain Rd, but may be worth it to some. Where we normally camp, there is no electrical or water / plumbing hook ups, but in the area there are tons of campgrounds with these included. There are vault type toilets, and down the road are a few places with coin operated showers.

I'm planning to bring camp power by way of generators to have available for group use. I'll also be bringing a lot of camping gear for cooking and fresh water. I'll encourage everyone to bring their own water too, and we can get more if needed as well... More on that later. I'm also while there earlier planning to gather a good supply of fire wood for us if the fires are allowed.

All who are interested, google "Airport Flat Campground" in the El Dorado National Forest of California. Should be right by Loon Lake, and Gerle Creek Reservoir - North of Union Valley and Ice House Reservoir. For those not familiar with the area, its closest map huge landmark is west of Lake Tahoe.

Remember, when we do exit the Rubicon Trail, we'll leave through South Lake Tahoe too.

Lake Tahoe is about a hour and a half away from Airport flat is you take Highway 50 west from south lake Tahoe and go up the Ice House Rd turnoff from the highway. There are many hotels etc up that way if people get in earlier etc.

Posi is right though that the timing to find lodging before will be harder the longer you wait. You can check out Ice House Store on google, but it's hard to get answers from them...

I'm not good with Air B&B or whatever to see what's around in Kyburz etc, found few so I know there are options...

Remember also, if you like camping / have a camper your bringing, we'll be in the mountains already having a good time, so if you're early, come on up the mountain and join us. cool lakes to explore / fish, and swim in etc. Nice hiking and jeeping trails everywhere.

Or those of you that know each other meet up earlier if you want in Lake Tahoe, especially if you haven't seen / visited before. Nevada side gambling is legal, large hotels in South Lake Tahoe, - Lots to do either way.

I know some already have expressed they'll be around earlier too. So far I've taken off 9/3 through 9/18 from work (little over 2 weeks) to ensure I'm around for anything needed even after the official trip - keep in mind for those interested, we're thinking of doing some extra wheeling after the Rubicon week.

241 days until official start so far!

Hey JR! You know our rig, F350 crew cab with a car hauler for the Jeep. We will be putting our slide in camper on the truck for this trip. Will we be able to get to the camp ground with this rig? And, are you going to grab up some camp sites for those of us camping? I see that they don't take reservations. First come first serve only.

Old 01-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #38
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriplaybass View Post
Hey JR! You know our rig, F350 crew cab with a car hauler for the Jeep. We will be putting our slide in camper on the truck for this trip. Will we be able to get to the camp ground with this rig? And, are you going to grab up some camp sites for those of us camping? I see that they don't take reservations. First come first serve only.
Yes - I'll be saving room for all who let me know they're group camping with us. There are a few options here. I'll talk some more with you two off-site coming up as I know some of your plans too.

Yes, your truck will be fine, trailer too. We'll be bringing the RV's, trucks, and Jeeps too. probably a camping trailer etc.

FYI all - Oakie (my Uncle in Orange Jeep) is finally a member here too. Oakie72JC5 I believe lol.

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

The Following User Says Thank You to JR74CJ5 For This Useful Post:
007 (01-13-2020)

Old 01-13-2020, 01:36 PM   #39
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

As of Now - correct me if I'm wrong:

1: Jr
2: Cameron (Jr's Brother)
3: Oakie72CJ5 (Jr's Uncle)
4: Shelby (Jr's buddy in a explorer)
5: Coldair
6: Posi
7: BlueRocket (Bobby)
8: Bass & OJL
9: Shooby
10: Bill D & Carol
11: 007

Maybe(s):

1: jfmcj7

Let me know if anything has changed for anyone.

Also, link to current plan for the get together "Trail Ride" is here (post # 17) - https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f100/...tml#post275747

Still welcoming new signups, and available by phone to talk out stuff with anyone as well - PM me for my phone number if you don't have it.

I'll clean up this thread with a new one soon with accurate details. We can continue to use this thread for general questions as of now and such.

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me