Default 1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread 

Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #1
JR74CJ5
Missing-Presumed Wheeling
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

Here it is! Rubicon Trail ride planning thread.

Very loose on plans as of now - need some input, and will be doing some recon of surrounding areas again etc. The trail itself is not a weeks worth of riding, though we could stretch it that far, it may get boring quickly, and last thing I want is someone from across the US bored on my watch! lol

Rubicon Trail Info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubicon_Trail

https://www.edcgov.us/government/rub...con_trail.aspx

So this weekend I'm trying a new trail I haven't been on that is fairly close called Barrett Lake Trail.

Barrett Lake Trail

From a youtube search:

check out 1:39 - nice "boulder" garden And wow - look at the bridge approach @ 2:41...

I might love this trail! lol

Anyways, I'm thinking of some extra stuff to do in the area and will post some options to see who all likes what and who all is still seriously interested. I'd like to take 2-3 days on the Rubicon to let people see all the sights, hang at the lakes, check out Rubicon Springs, and take their time on the trail as it's bumpy and rough.

If Barrett Lake is good / fun (and if open) We can do a in, lunch, and back day there, or a camp at the lake day there possibly.

There are tons of other dirt road type trails around through the forests, and a few other lakes to check out to swim, fish, picnic, etc... Lots of options - I love doing it all - want to see what others are interested in.

So in the meantime - list out your desires below on following questions:

1 - How many days would you like the trip to be not including your travel days to CA?

2 - How many people want to do some fishing / lakeside camping for a night or two (possibly different lakes).

3 - Are we fine with buffer days for relax and rehab / small exploration trail rides?

4 - Is / Are 2 tough trails just too much harder wheeling for the week? Barrett is 5-1/2 miles with average speed of 2 MPH. 3 - 4 hours in, and another 3-4 out. Rubicon is 22 miles long, approx 3-5 MPH in most places - so 2 fairly long days of wheeling.

5 - The trail (Rubicon) is different in different directions, though it's the same trail. While I wouldn't say we should run the entire thing both ways, there is a loop between the 2 entrances - we can make a good day out of that, then head it again next day for new take on one of the directions we took out day before. This is more wheeling, and a good example of what to expect / rig testing before "too" far into the trail.

6 - Other comments / thoughts? Want to see Lake Tahoe a bit one day? Want to check out a cool old town in the area? A cool old bar located in the backwoods? Let me know what you'd like to see / do...

More to come!

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!

Register for a free membership and remove this add!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com daily!
Vote for Jeep-CJ.com

Default Re: 1st Annual Jeep-CJ Rubicon Trail Ride - planning thread 

Old 09-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
coldair
Old Time Jeeper
Vehicle(s): 1986 cj7 in the works,4.88 gears, Yukon air locker Rear axle dana 44, Dana 30 with ARB locker, 33x13.50 toyo tires, high output 4.0, Mpfi from xj, york on board air, AX15, twin stick Dana 300, 8000 pound warn, held together by hopes and dreams. 1996 F350 crew cab with a 5.9 cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR74CJ5 View Post

1 - How many days would you like the trip to be not including your travel days to CA?
5 days would give enough time to see stuff and be able to relax/ see stuff maybe twice.

2 - How many people want to do some fishing / lakeside camping for a night or two (possibly different lakes).

Would love to go fishing

3 - Are we fine with buffer days for relax and rehab / small exploration trail rides?
Yes
4 - Is / Are 2 tough trails just too much harder wheeling for the week? Barrett is 5-1/2 miles with average speed of 2 MPH. 3 - 4 hours in, and another 3-4 out. Rubicon is 22 miles long, approx 3-5 MPH in most places - so 2 fairly long days of wheeling.

No 2 tough trails sounds great!!

5 - The trail (Rubicon) is different in different directions, though it's the same trail. While I wouldn't say we should run the entire thing both ways, there is a loop between the 2 entrances - we can make a good day out of that, then head it again next day for new take on one of the directions we took out day before. This is more wheeling, and a good example of what to expect / rig testing before "too" far into the trail.

Shake down sounds great so people know what they are getting into.

6 - Other comments / thoughts? Want to see Lake Tahoe a bit one day? Want to check out a cool old town in the area? A cool old bar located in the backwoods? Let me know what you'd like to see / do...

Exploring sounds great
Added to your questions.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!Stumble this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to coldair For This Useful Post:
JR74CJ5 (09-10-2019)

Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #3
shooby
Junior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5 304 V8, T18,D20,Teralows,D30 w/OX, AMC 20 w/OX, 1 piece Moser, 33"BFGs, Howell TBI, Mallory HEI

I will be interested in this adventure no matter what form it takes...I've been watching Rubicon Youtubes and wondering how my CJ5 with 33s will fare...I might end up slowing us down to 1 mph!

Old 09-11-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1974 CJ5 ~ Fresh built AMC 360 - SM420 - D20 - D30F with upgraded 30 spline shafts and knuckles & D44R - 4.27 Gears - ARB Lockers F/R - All chrome molly axles - on 33's - YJ OME 2-1/2" Lift Spring Conversion

We have 33's too - but we have lockers and low gearing. I think you do too, from what I've seen you won't slow us down at all. We'll use good spotting techniques and help everyone through.

Not wanting to rush anyone on this trip, so we'll go at comfortable paces for all.

There are also bypasses for most all the hardest parts if desired, or worried about body / paint damage etc. There are still some pretty challenging non-bypassable spots, but again we should be good taking time and good spotting / execution.

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

Old 09-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
shooby
Junior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

Vehicle(s): 1978 CJ5 304 V8, T18,D20,Teralows,D30 w/OX, AMC 20 w/OX, 1 piece Moser, 33"BFGs, Howell TBI, Mallory HEI

Low gears and lockers here too. I'll be right behind you

The Following User Says Thank You to shooby For This Useful Post:
JR74CJ5 (09-12-2019)

Old 09-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #6
shooby
Junior Jeeper
Gold Supporter

and a winch

Old 09-11-2019, 07:30 PM   #7
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,183 Times in 1,105 Posts
I have run the Ruby more than once.
I run 33's with ft & re DL's.
A winch is very good to have.
FWIW-You are in bear country.
LG

Old 09-12-2019, 02:07 PM   #8
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
I have run the Ruby more than once.
I run 33's with ft & re DL's.
A winch is very good to have.
FWIW-You are in bear country.
LG
Lumpy - do you have any interest in joining us?

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

The Following User Says Thank You to JR74CJ5 For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (09-12-2019)

Old 09-12-2019, 06:51 PM   #9
Lumpy Grits
Need a Life Jeeper
Lifetime Supporter

Vehicle(s): '85 CJ-7, 258/4.2L 6cyl. Bought new in 1985. Full cage, Warn 8274 winch, Ford 9" rear, front/rear Detroit Lockers w/4:88 R&P. T-5 tranny and 4:1 t'case. 33X12.50-15 BFG/AT, MSD ign, on board air---

Thanked 1,183 Times in 1,105 Posts
Wish I could-My CHF issues won't allow it.
You want to go between the middle of Aug to no later than the 2nd week of Sept. This gives you the best weather with the least bugs.
Going during the middle of the week is good for less traffic.
LG

Old 09-12-2019, 07:19 PM   #10
JR74CJ5
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumpy Grits View Post
Wish I could-My CHF issues won't allow it.
You want to go between the middle of Aug to no later than the 2nd week of Sept. This gives you the best weather with the least bugs.
Going during the middle of the week is good for less traffic.
LG
Yes sir - I'm hip to the game being local - also around this time Barrett Lake is open too with exceptions, which is a serious consideration for additional things to do on this trip...

Well, we'll post some nice photos for you bud. Let me know if you find a way.

JR - ECV3
My Build< Click me

The Following User Says Thank You to JR74CJ5 For This Useful Post:
Lumpy Grits (09-12-2019)