YJ Hardtop won't fit my CJ7

YJ Hardtop won't fit my CJ7

Vipasa2015

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ7
Hey Guys,
I’ve run into a pretty crazy problem that I could use some help with. I’ve been pretty darn vexed by this, and with snow quickly approaching here in CO I’d greatly appreciate any advice you might have to offer. Especially if any of you have experienced this problem...
I recently picked up a hardtop from a 1988 YJ for my 1980 CJ7. I was prepared to deal with the tailgate issue and make some mods for it. That actually turned out really well is the least of my problems.
My problems? Well, the damn thing fits just fine and flush all the way around the tub except for where it meets the windshield. At that point there is a two-inch gap preventing me from bolting it down. There is not enough flexibility to push the top down and I’ve adjusted my windshield as much as possible. When replacing my body mounts I noticed that my rear frame crossmember is extremely rotted out and was actually dipping down on each end enough to cause the problem. The pic you will see of that is after I hammered on it and used a jack to try and see if it would rectify the issue. So it will look a bit better than it did before I discovered it. However, the opposite side is even worse. My feeling is that it’s just not supporting the weight and that is where my 2 inch gap is coming from. Actually when I used the jack on the area to raise the rotted metal/crossmember, the front of the top touched the windshield. So that might be it?
I’ve attached pics for your reference and would greatly appreciate your guidance. Most of the time with things like this it is THE MOST obvious thing that evades me.
Thank you in advance.

Not really the correct forum (build Forum) moved and unlocked, Man I miss EB... :)

Maybe check the frame rails at the rear(above rear axle) for cracks, if all looks good replace the rear cross member.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Keep in mind, the cross member is welded to the rear frame rails. That means dropping the fuel tank, grinding out the old welds, and welding in the new one.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Can you put something between the top and the tub at the rear to shim it up so the the front of the to reaches the windshield? Then remove the shim to see if the weight of the top at the rear helps bring top and tub together at the rear? Not sure how much it will help. But thinking about using the weight of the top to your advantage instead of the way it is working against you now.

I checked the frame and looks like I'm free of cracks. I went ahead and ordered the new crossmember today. Should be here by Monday and keeping my fingers crossed.

Yes, I had tried to kind of shim it from the rear. There just isn't enough give/flex on the top. anything more than an inch and it starts to bow out on the sides.

Yes... The fuel tank. I really wish I didn't have to drop that thing. I was looking in and around and it almost looks like I can squeeze my fingers in there to pull those bolts connecting the skid plate to the crossmember. I'm going to pull the entire thing apart this weekend in hopes of proactively tackling any problems that may come about before I have the crossmember later in the week. Will be here Monday. Plan on coating it with Zero Rust before instal. I used that product a years or so ago.

One thing I just came across was that some people have had to shim up their body mounts a bit to get the top to fit right. Have any of you guys ever heard of this?

Is the windshield touching the top at all?
Can't tell in the pictures.

Hey Guys, sorry for the late reply. Ended up going down a serious rabbit hole with this top.
Long story short this top just isn't going to fit. I ended up having to shim the front and rear each an extra inch in order to make the windshield fit the top correctly. At that point the hard doors are just hopeless as far as fitment. I think its because I have a lot of weight in the front with the 350, heavier bumper and winch. The front leaf springs are going to need replacing soon as well which could be contributing to the issue of the front end giving me such a huge problem. All that being said, I'm cutting my losses and selling the hardtop. Winter is coming on us fast here in Colorado and I need by Jeep back on the road ASAP. I'll actually be selling the roll cage in the pics as well as I'll be re-installing my original full roll cage. I've listed the hardtop for sale in the classifieds on this site if any of you are interested. Or if you know anyone in CO that might be I'd greatly appreciate a referral. I'm selling the hardtop for 600 and the roll cage for 200. Both are from a 1988 YJ. The Hardtop is in great shape. Will fit CJ7 and YJ Jeeps.
The liftgate and all the glass are also in great shape.
NO CRACKS anywhere on this hardtop.
Could use a fresh coat of paint but otherwise is ready to bolt on and go.
The only thing that needs replaced are the struts on the liftgate.
PS: I just remembered the classified section would only let me post one pic. So feel free to message me with your email and I'll provide any extra pics that might be needed.
Thanks for the guidance, my friends. This has been a bit of a frustrating month. Regardless I can't wait to get my CJ back on the road. Nothing like driving a Jeep darn it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks