YJ failed emissions again

YJ failed emissions again

CD Long Jr

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
87 YJ
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab diesel dually
87 YJ, 4.2 with rebuilt Carter BBD, Dura spark II, (new rotor, cap, wires and coil). Autolite plugs gapped @ ,035. Nutter by pass.
For inspection, timing was set @ 2 degrees BTDC, mix screws were turned in until engine started to die, then backed out 1/4 turn. Gasoline was regular, no oil change.
Emissions: low HC- Low 293- failed need 220. High 95- passed. CO- Low 0.12 passed, High 3.96 failed, need 1.20 CO%+CO2%-Low 9.29 High 15.84
The tube from the exhaust down pipe was removed by the PO.
Since the test I have run all the regular gas out and refilled with High test.
Any one have an ideas before I wire the computer back in?

Last edited:
Finally passed. Blew out the muffler on the way to DMV. After looking @ exhaust system, I opted to replace everything.

87 YJ, 4.2 with rebuilt Carter BBD, Dura spark II, (new rotor, cap, wires and coil). Autolite plugs gapped @ ,035. Nutter by pass.
For inspection, timing was set @ 2 degrees BTDC, mix screws were turned in until engine started to die, then backed out 1/4 turn. Gasoline was regular, no oil change.
Emissions: low HC- Low 293- failed need 220. High 95- passed. CO- Low 0.12 passed, High 3.96 failed, need 1.20 CO%+CO2%-Low 9.29 High 15.84
The tube from the exhaust down pipe was removed by the PO.
Since the test I have run all the regular gas out and refilled with High test.
Any one have an ideas before I wire the computer back in?

Not sure if it has anything to do with it or anything, but I always turn the mix screws in till it wants to die, then turn them out 2 full turns...

Engine was set to factory specs. I figure the new Cat did the trick.

I have found that a 200 mile road trip at highway speed will do a lot for your chances of passing. :cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom