Would you reuse these Dana 300 shift collars?

Would you reuse these Dana 300 shift collars?

1994ranger

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 CJ7, 360, T176, D300, 8.8 rear, D44 front, aspiring to swap a 5.3/4L60E!
I am doing a Dana 300 rebuild (first one ever) and am curious if these shift collars are too worn to reuse. One of them has scoring where the pads contact it, and I can feel the ridges. The other does too but its still pretty smooth.

Probably best to replace them but I wanted the input of experts!
3bB20Xc.jpg
Y3xxKpf.jpg
WNmejU4.jpg
BnwpCPJ.jpg
fEObHfc.jpg
Zo5GAfM.jpg

Those look good to me. New shift pads should be in the kit.
The main thing you're looking for is wear/ridges on the gear surfaces.

Not sure if you're taking apart the shift rails and detents, but I found that there were two different springs in mine and the detent blanks had different depths.
I ended up swapping the springs around in order to get the rails to shift smoothly.

If haven't already check out Gearbox videos on youtube -Paul has a great 2 part on the Dana 300.

Those look good to me. New shift pads should be in the kit.
The main thing you're looking for is wear/ridges on the gear surfaces.

Not sure if you're taking apart the shift rails and detents, but I found that there were two different springs in mine and the detent blanks had different depths.
I ended up swapping the springs around in order to get the rails to shift smoothly.

If haven't already check out Gearbox videos on youtube -Paul has a great 2 part on the Dana 300.

Thanks! I used the Gearbox videos for getting it apart and will probably use them again for reassembly. I am upgrading to HD outputs and 4:1 Lomax gears so I'll have plenty of instructions to cross reference. Yes, new pads are in the kit!

Are your old gears in good shape? I need them.

Are your old gears in good shape? I need them.

Old gears appear to be in pretty good shape. I am planning to hang on to them for now but will keep you posted if things change. May be a few months but I'll let you know!

Thank you. They are not easy to find, fyi.

They look fine to me also. I just did my Dana 300 upgrade to Lomax 4:1 gears. Patrick, I would be willing to sell my old gears once I get a few miles on my new setup. They are in good condition. If you want to connect through my email, Justin at ahrens.net, I don't get on here too often. I'm travelling right now, but could send you pics once I get back this weekend.
Justin

They look fine to me also. I just did my Dana 300 upgrade to Lomax 4:1 gears. Patrick, I would be willing to sell my old gears once I get a few miles on my new setup. They are in good condition. If you want to connect through my email, Justin at ahrens.net, I don't get on here too often. I'm travelling right now, but could send you pics once I get back this weekend.
Justin

I am doing the same thing, and while I had the collars out, I thought I'd ask about them. Thanks!

Patrick - I am planning to put some miles on my Lomax gears too like Justin, but I am not as far along as him. If he is ready to offload his gears now, you may be better served talking to him rather than waiting on me :)

Well, I just got my transmission and tcase installed. They are hanging from a rachet strap on the cage right now. I just got the engine started and went through all the gears. It seems good to go. Now I have to connect the driveshafts and skid plate and I can get it on the road for the first time in quite a while....

I did a Dana 300 rebuild last year. Agree that your shift collars look good. Those things are hackers, they can take a beating. Clean them in some mineral spirits and just use all the new parts in the kit. It’ll feel like butter once you get it all back together with new bearings, seals etc...

Are you replacing the intermediate shaft? That’s one I would, if one didn’t come with the kit. I also had the same issue with the springs under the shift rails. Make sure you install the spring-ball bearing-shift rail unit before you re-install the front bearing cap. It’s a lot easier to access the opening and depress the ball-spring and slide the rail in before you mate it all back up. Also, prolly seems obvious, but don’t mix up the shift rails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks