wont go in 1st

wont go in 1st

AZ75CJ5

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ5
Replaced bell housing, clutch fork, pivot ball and inner spring. Put it all back together and now not going into 1st (T-15, to left and down). Goes in other gears. The other thing is I have rear drive line disconnected, because need to fix rear axle. Any ideas?

This should be an easy fix.....................

If it went into first and reverse before you removed the top of the transmission, you need to take it back off. Fool with the transmission sliding sleeves, there are only two of them, until you find neutral in both. The back sliding sleeve is for reverse, (sleeve to the rear) and first, (to the front) I.E. the one you are having trouble with. The front sleeve is for third and fourth. So, remove the top, put it in neutral, find neutral in both the front and rear sleeve, carefully align the forks in their assigned slot, drop it in place. Bolt it down, I'd only use a couple bolts. Shift it through all the gears, you will or should know if it feels correct. DON'T DRIVE it until you get it right. You could easily blow your transmission if the gears are mismatched.

This should be an easy fix.....................

If it went into first and reverse before you removed the top of the transmission, you need to take it back off. Fool with the transmission sliding sleeves, there are only two of them, until you find neutral in both. The back sliding sleeve is for reverse, (sleeve to the rear) and first, (to the front) I.E. the one you are having trouble with. The front sleeve is for third and fourth. So, remove the top, put it in neutral, find neutral in both the front and rear sleeve, carefully align the forks in their assigned slot, drop it in place. Bolt it down, I'd only use a couple bolts. Shift it through all the gears, you will or should know if it feels correct. DON'T DRIVE it until you get it right. You could easily blow your transmission if the gears are mismatched.

Awesome, you are the bomb Hedge.. This is what I was thinking was the problem. Now wanna take the day off of work and go play with it. Lol. :chug:

Also ck to be sure you have 1-1 1/4 inch of clutch pedal freeplay.
LG

Or adjust the way Rob explained how to do it. Then measure the free play, you will find it's VERY close to the measure Grits likes to use .... but more percise.

Besides from some back door communications he can't get it to go into reverse either. He simply missed the fork engagement slot in the slider. I did the same, but caught it right away by threading in a couple bolts and running the transmision through it's gears. OOppps that isn't right and a couple minutes later all way working as it should.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks