Why would you do that

Why would you do that

somedude922

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 Golden Eagle AMC 360, TH400, Quadratrac, AMC 20 and Dana 30 narrowtracs.
I saw a TJ today. Had a lift and some bolt on stuff. Anyway, what caught my eye was his roll bar. Or lack there of. He cut the family part out. All he had was the main upright and the spreaders to his windshield. That just seemed ridiculous. Then he had his spare mounted in the back instead of a back seat. That "roll bar" would crush instantly it seems.

I don't get it.

Some peoples kids :confused:

It was a dude in his 40s I would guess. It didn't look like he was preparing for a cage or something. It was all nerfed out and taped. I dunno. Just bothered me I guess. I hate seeing stupid people. I see too much of them at work.

A prime example of nature working on weeding out the system. You see that kind of stuff, and think......

"Not my circus, not my monkeys".

For some folks life in a cage is no real life at all. I saw a lawn mower the other day that the guy just sat on, no roll cage, no helmet and all those little blades spinning around just under his feet. Then I noticed his family, oh my goodness they were working and playing on the lawn WHILE HE WAS MOWING.......... We have gotten so safety ...... oh never mind to think of the miles I rode a bicycle without a helmet I shiver, no I don't I remember how much fun I had it was, how much freedom we had.

I don't know that the guy was really any worse off. The stock bar is a "sport" bar mainly for looks and arguably weaker and more dangerous than a Jeep roll bar (the later ones from late 70's on). Think about it. The spreader bars to the windshield are attached with small screws into sheetmetal which will tear right out and collapse into the driver or passenger area. And the rear family portion has no bar between them at the rear bend, right. So those elbows / angles would act like levers and direct a twisting force to the two end mounting points. And they don't add much support to the B-pillar hoop.
So it's a poor design from a safety standpoint to begin with.

to think of the miles I rode a bicycle without a helmet I shiver, no I don't I remember how much fun I had it was, how much freedom we had.

I understand and get that sentiment but I had a very smart friend in 8th grade who didn't swerve in time and ran over something minor. Fell, hit his head on the curb, cracked his skull. Had to have the top right part of his brain removed and even now in his 40s, still has to have his parents care for him.

If that guy gets hurt or dead because of his stupidity is one thing but if he injures innocent children/people who don't know better, then that's another.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom