What's the name of the bearing I'm looking for??

What's the name of the bearing I'm looking for??

truk820

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ7, Iron Duke 151, SR4 transmission
Hi all,

I'm still chugging along with my 81CJ7 and ran into a little hiccup. I was changing my front rotors and came across a very worn, very broken bearing. I removed it (it crumbled...) and now I'm having a heck of a time with finding a replacement. It's the bearing that slides over the spindle and goes closest to the rotor.

Here's a picture of what I'm facing:
4BKRhUd.png

I've tried:
Omix-Ada Differential Bearing - 16509.05
Omix-Ada Pinion Bearing - 16515.02

with no luck - everything gets stuck on the spindle before it rests in the correct place.

If anyone knows what part this is or where I can find it please let me know!

If I'm understanding right it would be the inner wheel bearing

Pick up the pieces and look on the sides of the bearing races for a name or number. Most all of the big bearing manufacturers will have their name and the bearing part number on one of the sides of the bearing races.

Just my preference, but I'd replace both inner and outer wheel bearings as a set. If you had one come apart inside the hub, the remaining bearing could also have unnoticed damage that might come back to haunt you down the road.

Looking at your picture, I see a couple of bearings lying on the towel. If that's the two from the other side of the vehicle, they should have the part numbers you're looking for.

What he said.
my prefered method is to take the number right off the bearing or seal and google it, most cases comes up with cheaper prices than the big box jeep part suppliers.

If it's a Dana 30 axle, which it probably is, you'll need Timken SET45 (outer) and SET47 (inner) bearings. Don't use that Omix-ada :dung: unless it says Timken on the brg. and race. Heres the parts I used. The National 4131 seals are for the hub and the SFK brand BK1 is the bearing and seal kit for the spindle. Note that the NAPA boxes are a separate bearing and race that I already had from years ago. They used to be packaged separately and they are Timken brand just repackaged for NAPA. But as was said, replace them as a set. If you spindle is damaged in any way (galling or rust or scratched) be sure to address that before re-assembly. Either replace it or sand it with emery cloth if it's not too bad. This is why your brgs. aren't fitting back on. And grease it all up real good.
Also, replace the 6 locking nuts that hold the spindle on. They are one time use deformed nuts.
img3096qc.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. I'll see if I can make out the numbers on the originals and go from there. And good call on the spindle locking nuts, I had no idea!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks