What was the problem?

What was the problem?

CJ

Admin
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'72 CJ5, 401, T18, D20, D44, D30
'82 CJ8, 258, D300, AMC20, D30
$400 virtual (can't be used for anything but virtual (imaginary) stuff) dollars to the one who can diagnose the problem first...

2004 For Ranger 4x4 pickup. New to a 17 year old - dad financed it - kid is making the payments and driving it... :)

Went out New Years eve and was doing a little four wheeling (as much as a stock ranger can do)... On the way home driving down the highway the truck just died.

They had it towed home and called me.

I told them to check fuses, fuseable links, spark and listen for the fuel pump. I also said that I bet THIS is your problem. About an hour later I get a call, YEP - it was the one thing I thought it could be... (I am now a god of crazy, useless information in their eyes) :laugh:

So? What was it? :chug:

out of gas.

cam position sensor

Last edited:
cat converter?:dunno:

mud in the tail pipe?

cam position sensor

cat converter?:dunno:

mud in the tail pipe?
Nope... Think outside the box... :) It was a simple fix, no parts were replaced... :)

The biggest clue is hew was bouncing around off road for a bit... Consider what 'crash' protection devices are on all vehicles? :D

Crash shut off switch for the fuel. It cuts the fuel pump so the fuel wont continue to pump in the case of a accident. Just had to hit the reset right.

Crash shut off switch for the fuel. It cuts the fuel pump so the fuel wont continue to pump in the case of a accident. Just had to hit the reset right.
Ding Ding Ding DIng Ding!!!!

Exactly - he rode it hard all day an on the way home on the smooth highway it made contact... A simple press of the reset button and they were good to go! A phone call could have save the $125 tow bill - but oh well....

BTW - When I worked for a towing company we charged $85 to reset the crash switch (it did include us coming out to get the vehicle), but we never towed a vehicle that didn't need it.. Not sure what the tow operator was thinking on this occasion as I KNOW he knew what he SHOULD do... :(

We used to trip those when we hooked a car up to a fuel injector cleaner machine so we could disconnect the fuel lines and just left them open. No fuel would come out so we didnt have to plug the lines. That was easy even without the clue.:):)

What else was funny some of those switches are put in the passager wheel well and get kicked. Had to replace a number of them due to the fact that they were too sensitive.

So what do I win??:D:D

Just joking it is good Information most people dont know.

the ball in the airbag/crash sensor was out of place and it needed tapping/ darn someone got my second guess already

I am the victim of technology!! I have never worked on a vehicle with this switch.
damn good information for those of us who choose to live in the 70/80's.
thanks 2lost. With all the recent discussion on fuel injection systems I think this is a detail of some interest and perhaps a one best not overlooked.:notworthy:

So now the question is, if you put fuel injection should you put one of those switches in?? I could see the use of one of those if you are on the trail and you have a roll over it would shut off the fuel to the engine and killing it.:) Than again if you are going over rough stuff would it be too sensitive and trip when you dont want it to and could cause damage to you or the vehicle.:(

Just some thought. I dont think that there is a right answer to these questions.:confused:

What do you all think??

I am the victim of technology!! I have never worked on a vehicle with this switch.
damn good information for those of us who choose to live in the 70/80's.
thanks 2lost. With all the recent discussion on fuel injection systems I think this is a detail of some interest and perhaps a one best not overlooked.:notworthy:

X2. What switch are you all talking about in case I ever run into this.:confused:

X2. What switch are you all talking about in case I ever run into this.:confused:
All vehicles with FI from about (hell if I know really -1985 and up) have a crash detection switch. The switch turns off the fuel pump when in an accident so the pump doesn't keep pumping fuel when not needed.

The switch can be tripped by having a 'good time off road' or just bumping into something...

The location of the switch can differ between vehicles - but they all have one... :)

Wonder where it is on my wifes rubicon unlimited? Hell my GMC sierra.
I did wire a fuel cut off switch to the dash of my jeep when I had an electric fuel pump. Which is only good if you can reach to flip it off.

Many newer vehicles don't have the crash switch as the fuel pump is controlled by the ECU - your mileage may vary... :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks