Welding 101

Welding 101

Petescj

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 258 / T-18 / Dana 300 31 in All Terrains.
1978 CJ-7 304 / TH 400 / Quadratrac 32 in Mud Terrains
Ok time to pull the trigger on a welder. This is on a budget so before you tell me to buy a Miller or ESAB ... Etc. know it will not happen. My main need is for sheet metal welding. I need some rocker repair and smaller patches on my tub. Maybe put a floor in my M-100 trailer but no real heavy stuff like frame work or anything.

At my budget I'm looking at this Flux core welder:

https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-easy-flux-125-amp-welder-56355.html

Does this seem like a decent budget welder that would be good to learn on? I only have 120 in the garage and I could afford this one. Then if I can get the hang of it I'll upgrade to a better unit later. Right now only sheet metal and it'll pay for itself just doing my rockers alone.

It will work great for what you are looking at doing with it. The flux core is a little harder to weld with but it will make you a better welder in the long run.

It will work great for what you are looking at doing with it. The flux core is a little harder to weld with but it will make you a better welder in the long run.

I planned on just getting some sheet metal and cutting pieces off then practicing welding them back together and once I feel confident enough go after the Jeep. Can you elaborate on the "harder to weld with"? I thought I was going in the right direction for a beginner. I don't want to frustrate myself to the point I give up.

Go with a Hobart from tractor supply u can do either gas (preferred method) or flux core it also runs on 110 house plug and if u turn it all the way up it will do a frame

https://m.northerntool.com/shop/too...Yej8RbygbuLQUrd_vkT6VMypbnxpGo4hoCk4cQAvD_BwE

One like this won't break the bank

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Agreed it's pretty reasonable but I have a few other things going on that are going to suck up some cash. That's why I kinda have the $200 cap. That and I need to buy all the safety gear as well

I planned on just getting some sheet metal and cutting pieces off then practicing welding them back together and once I feel confident enough go after the Jeep. Can you elaborate on the "harder to weld with"? I thought I was going in the right direction for a beginner. I don't want to frustrate myself to the point I give up.

The flux core just doesn’t lay down as nice as shielding gas does. The welder being a DC will help out with putting down a better bead. With that said you will be ok just take your time learning before you jump head first into welding your jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I should look into that $200 one too. I so wish I can weld. Tried it about 20 years ago and just could not. That was with the old "stick type" welders. Maybe these will be better.

If you have the time, keep an eye out for a used one. I got a Miller 110v for about 250 IIRC. The guy selling was upgrading.

As for not liking stick welding - it’s great for heavy stuff, but a MIG will be a whole different animal. For me it was way easier to pick up.

And remember - sheet metal welding will be ugly - but. I thing a grinder can’t fix

And remember - sheet metal welding will be ugly - but. I thing a grinder can’t fix

My brother is a welder by trade and says there are two types of people; welders and grinders. I am the latter unfortunately LOL

I’m a card carrying grinder.......

I’m a card carrying grinder.......

You and me both

Sent from my SM-A405FN using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replys guys. I'll look around used and if I don't see anything worthwhile by Black Friday I'll buy a new one. And a grinder 🤣 lol

For this, pawn shops, Craigslist and the various social media market places are great. But know what you are looking at and how much they go for new.

After using flux core wire for quite a while I highly recommend not using flux core wire, especially for sheet metal work. Flux core is hotter and can be a mess to work with. Lots of splatter and a much greater possibility for burn through. But also, burn through isn't nearly as big a deal with a MIG welder. Little bead hits chained together to fill a hole is relatively easy.

My 110 welder worked great for small runs, but be aware that you need a stout circuit to handle the load. I liked my 110 machine (Lincoln), but saw a big improvement in a 230 (Lincoln) welder. Why? The 230 machines have more consistent current control, everything seems to flow much smoother.

Also I find that the better Flux core wire is just better. Not necessarily the most expensive wire, just not the cheapest. I really don't like HF wire. It seems to run hotter and spatter more making a mess to clean up. Don't be afraid to pay for good wire and get a conversion to allow a bigger wire spool.

For the bigger stuff stick welding is the way to go, just try to stay away from the good old Lincoln buzz box. Sure they are tried and true machines, but relative to the newer technology, the old buzz box welders are difficult to use. I stumbled on a very reasonably priced Thermal Arc stick welder and was instantly introduced to a world of control I never would have associated with a stick welder. But I digress, you are not looking for a big stick welder.

My welding, when I was doing a lot of it, is far better than it was, but my grinding card is still a valuable part of my tool box. :)

Last edited:
I’m learning to weld myself. Got a Vulcan Omnipro 220 and love it.

I’m going to start trying some dual shield wire....supposed to be the smoothest bead and stick equivalent in structural work. I love stock and mig as well. Tig I haven’t tried yet but all in due time and my welder will do it. I’ll learn.

Get an ESAB. Get an ESAB! You'll love it...... Until the billing statement comes in.

I do have an esab rebel emp 215ic & I do love the machine. I was dang expensive though & for what you're needing to do, way over kill. I use mine for auto body & industrial work. So I could justify the price tag.

The harbor freight machines aren't bad at all for what they are. The mentioned Vulcan omni is a good buy. My machinest uses one in his shop. Runs it 110v I think but can't swear to. Had a late friend who used a harbor freight dedicated tig machine for building drag bike tube frames. Can't remember what the name on it was, but it was green & maybe a foot square for the power unit.

My personal preference is to stay away from flux core wire & run bottle gas. Costs more, but far less cleaning of welds. Which gets massively tedious with the mass of tracks in most body work. Gets annoying jacking up a panel because ya didnt clean up the slag.

I used a little $400 Lincoln handymig from Amazon for years for bodywork. Small gas bottle, and some cheap harbor freight .023 wire, with a good grinder did a lot of body panels over the years.

Ok time to pull the trigger on a welder. This is on a budget so before you tell me to buy a Miller or ESAB ... Etc. know it will not happen. My main need is for sheet metal welding. I need some rocker repair and smaller patches on my tub. Maybe put a floor in my M-100 trailer but no real heavy stuff like frame work or anything.

At my budget I'm looking at this Flux core welder:

https://www.harborfreight.com/titanium-easy-flux-125-amp-welder-56355.html

Does this seem like a decent budget welder that would be good to learn on? I only have 120 in the garage and I could afford this one. Then if I can get the hang of it I'll upgrade to a better unit later. Right now only sheet metal and it'll pay for itself just doing my rockers alone.

Look at a DC Century FC-90. $175. I got mine for $125 with a couple of promos. Use Miller wire. Miller bought Century a good while ago. Runs on 110v.

Nothing but good reviews. I’ve gotten some real nice welds. It is continuously variable on the power instead of hi-low switch. I’m down to grinding 50% of the time... lol.

I bought that cheap HF unit and sold it immediately.

I bought that cheap HF unit and sold it immediately.

Forgive me if I sound defensive, I know you were not trying to be offensive.

But you say harbor freight welder as if there was only one brand. Two of the three brands sold there get excellent third-party reviews and are feature packed.

Forgive me if I sound defensive, I know you were not trying to be offensive.

But you say harbor freight welder as if there was only one brand. Two of the three brands sold there get excellent third-party reviews and are feature packed.

It was the $99 Chicago Electric flux core unit with AC output. My Century has DC output. World of difference.

Going by the common rules of thumb, that welder is more Limited than the specs reveal.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/article-library/miggmaw-101-setting-the-correct-parameters

For sheet metal up to 16 gauge, you'll get best results with .023 wire.
.059 x 100 = 59 Amps
59 amps x 3.5 correction = 207 wire feed speed. That welder maxes out at 200 IPM.

For .030 wire, you're Limited to about 12 Gauge steel with that welder.

I wouldn't consider a welder that can't go up to at least 1/8" steel.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks