VIN Help

VIN Help

Nomad127

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'73 CJ5 with '84 258, D30/D44
I've looked all over the various forums and many other Jeep and engine info sites but still can't figure out what my engine actually is. The PO said something about the engine coming from an oilrig but he was an idiot so I didn't pay much attention. Here's what I know:

• The body is a '73 CJ5 that originally came with a 304 based on the body VIN.
  • The engine block does not have any stamps or markings on the passenger side.
  • 158 84 stamped closer to the front of the block.
  • EF3235444 stamped closer to mid-rear of the block.
  • B2 (maybe BZ) stamped just above the longer number
  • H3 stamped closer to the transmission.
  • Manifold has 6-1-84 on a small tag and 3237096-2W stamped next to that.
Any Ideas? Thanks in advance.

I've got the VIN of the body which is a '73, 3 speed, 304 engine, etc. but the engine has been swapped out. I'm trying to find out where this engine came from.

I also have no clue about the frame as there are not any numbers stamped in the original spot on the passenger side frame rail just behind the front wheel area. Haven't checked the rear spot behind the passenger wheel and may do so when I change the body mounts. Thanks though.

looked up engine code specs. here goes...quote "engine build code is located at the centre, upper right side of the engine block. The Engine Code consists of six (6) digits with either alphabetical or numerical characters, and may be interpreted as follows: FIRST DIGIT / Year...4 = 1971 ...5 = 1972 ... 6 = 1973. SECOND and THIRD DIGIT / Month ie 01>12. FOURTH DIGIT / Type... A = SIX-258 Single Bbl. Carb 8.0 To 1. B = Six-258 Single Bbl Carb 7.6 To 1 L/C (low compression). E = Six-232 Single Bbl Carb 8.0 To 1. F = Six-232 Single Bbl Carb 7.5 To 1. FIFTH and SIXTH DIGIT / Day of Month." Other years are possible, I just dug out this particular manual to start with. Happy hunting./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

This is from a post is Off-Road.com forums

1981-1985 258, per the 323544.

That would make sense as I know its not the original engine. The tag on the manifold and stamping on the block both have "84" so my guess is that's the year. Where did you look-up that engine code? Thanks!

looked up engine code specs. here goes...quote "engine build code is located at the centre, upper right side of the engine block. The Engine Code consists of six (6) digits with either alphabetical or numerical characters, and may be interpreted as follows: FIRST DIGIT / Year...4 = 1971 ...5 = 1972 ... 6 = 1973. SECOND and THIRD DIGIT / Month ie 01>12. FOURTH DIGIT / Type... A = SIX-258 Single Bbl. Carb 8.0 To 1. B = Six-258 Single Bbl Carb 7.6 To 1 L/C (low compression). E = Six-232 Single Bbl Carb 8.0 To 1. F = Six-232 Single Bbl Carb 7.5 To 1. FIFTH and SIXTH DIGIT / Day of Month." Other years are possible, I just dug out this particular manual to start with. Happy hunting./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

This is from a post is Off-Road.com forums
That would work if it was a early model 4.2 but there is nothing stamped on the right side. All stamping is on the left (driver) side. If this is an '84, and I now believe it is, maybe they changed sides. I've got more digging to do and thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

I just googled amc engine codes

That would make sense as I know its not the original engine. The tag on the manifold and stamping on the block both have "84" so my guess is that's the year. Where did you look-up that engine code? Thanks!

That would work if it was a early model 4.2 but there is nothing stamped on the right side. All stamping is on the left (driver) side. If this is an '84, and I now believe it is, maybe they changed sides. I've got more digging to do and thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.

Out of a Block Casting numbers Book. The aftermarket, keeps track of what was built when for parts and interchangability reasons, so the compile all this info. That block was made between those years and interchanges between those model years.

I am trying to find out why I only have 13 numbers/ letters in my VIN#? I am trying to find out the history of my 1980 Jeep CJ5. Any help out there? My vin #'s are: J0M83AB709220

Thank you, Tinman 2

Because the 80 CJ5 only has 13 numbers in the vin. The first 7 give the info. The last 6 are simply sequential serial numbers. You should be able to find a vin decoder through google. 1980 CJ5 vin decoder. Quadratech use to have a good one

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom