Misc. Trying to find history on my cj7

Misc. Trying to find history on my cj7

CJJP1984

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7
I’m new to owning a jeep and the forum. Just bought a 1984 CJ7 that has been pretty heavily modified; Ford 302 v8; 3-4 inch lift, some painted on accents, etc….Wondering if there is a website or some other resource that can tell me the original specs based on the VIN. Any one have any ideas?

Attachments

• 5306A9EC-B274-4E35-8B09-E63FC61C4461.jpeg
    5306A9EC-B274-4E35-8B09-E63FC61C4461.jpeg
    606.1 KB · Views: 10
Solution
I think I misled you. There are two plates with your VIN. One is the "VIN Plate" (which I mentioned earlier) that only has the VIN on it. This is on the bracket where your wiper motor is mounted so that it is visible through the windshield on the driver side. Then you have a "Data Plate" that has the VIN again, plus other numbers and info on it. This is mounted to the firewall under the main wiring harness block on the driver side. That plate has the paint code (and other info) on it just above the VIN. See these pics of mine. I edited my VIN for privacy. You can see in the red circle on the Data Plate that my paint code is "4K" (Silver Metallic). Sorry for the poor quality. My data plate was apparently painted by a previous owner when...
Congrats on the purchase. You have the same year/model as mine. Here's a great online tool:
Jeep VIN Decoder

It will tell you year, model, original engine, trim level, and age (in case there is any question).

On the VIN plate under the VIN number (so on row 2) there is a 2-digit code (number and letter). This is the paint code. Check here for a list of codes and their corresponding colors:
Jeep CJ Paint Code List

Be careful, some codes are different based on year.

good stuff. appreciate it. any idea how to find out original color?
And be sure to check the original MSRP also shown in that VIN decoder. I actually paid a bit more to buy mine 3 years ago than the original MSRP it sold for back in 1984. And then I had a ton of work to do to it :doh:

I think I misled you. There are two plates with your VIN. One is the "VIN Plate" (which I mentioned earlier) that only has the VIN on it. This is on the bracket where your wiper motor is mounted so that it is visible through the windshield on the driver side. Then you have a "Data Plate" that has the VIN again, plus other numbers and info on it. This is mounted to the firewall under the main wiring harness block on the driver side. That plate has the paint code (and other info) on it just above the VIN. See these pics of mine. I edited my VIN for privacy. You can see in the red circle on the Data Plate that my paint code is "4K" (Silver Metallic). Sorry for the poor quality. My data plate was apparently painted by a previous owner when they painted the firewall. So it's all black. I am holding a light on it when I snapped this pic.

Data_Tag_Edited.jpgVIN_Plate_Edited.jpg

Solution
Ditto 4K on mine alsoimage.jpeg

I think I misled you. There are two plates with your VIN. One is the "VIN Plate" (which I mentioned earlier) that only has the VIN on it. This is on the bracket where your wiper motor is mounted so that it is visible through the windshield on the driver side. Then you have a "Data Plate" that has the VIN again, plus other numbers and info on it. This is mounted to the firewall under the main wiring harness block on the driver side. That plate has the paint code (and other info) on it just above the VIN. See these pics of mine. I edited my VIN for privacy. You can see in the red circle on the Data Plate that my paint code is "4K" (Silver Metallic). Sorry for the poor quality. My data plate was apparently painted by a previous owner when they painted the firewall. So it's all black. I am holding a light on it when I snapped this pic.

View attachment 75215View attachment 75216
Dude! Thanks for the follow up. Just checked it out and found it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom