Jeeper42

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Late 86 CJ7 Stock with a Dana 44.
YJ tub.
Still building it.
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to ID my transmission so I can get a new 2nd gear synchronizer.
The teeth on mine are shot.

I have a 1986 CJ7 5 Speed M/T

The only numbers I found were:

sf8950010 and 2 unknown numbers.
13-52-dn 45684

But I can't find reference to any of these.

Or maybe it doesn't matter as there isn't more than once type of synchronizer for my transmission.

Anyone have a good source for transmission parts?

Thanks,
Jeeper42

Probably a T-5.

T-5
Five Speed
From 1982 to 1986 the Borg-Warner T-5 was offered in CJ's as as overdrive transmission. As a matter of fact this was the only overdrive transmission offered in a CJ. The T5 is a light duty transmission that always came with a Dana 300 transfer case.
There was a heavier duty T-5 transmission that was used in street vehicles such as Mustangs. These transmissions were referred to as World Class T5. They were never offered in Jeeps or any other four-wheel drive but there are companies such as Astro Performance that offer the gears and parts to rebuild the T-5 into a World Class T5. The strength of these transmissions is not as strong as originally hyped and it isn't recommended to rebuild your T5 into a World Class T5. A better option would be to replace the T5 with a stronger transmission such as the T176 or T18.

The T5 is 15.25 inches long.

t5-5speeds-com.jpg

For more information see the above post Weak Transmissions of the 1980's

Gear ratios:
1st – 4.03
2nd – 2.37
3rd – 1.5
4th – 1.0
5th – 0.86
Reverse – 3.76

Well then it looks like I have a T-5 but now I'm having issues finding a 2nd gear synchronizer.
My brother-in-law who is rebuilding the transmission said I need a new 2nd gear synchronizer but all I can find are ones for 1st & reverse, 3rd & 4th and 5th.

He told me the teeth are warn down and it keeps popping out if second.

Is there a synchronizer for 2nd gear?

Jeeper42

The synchro hub and sliding synchro sleeve are only serviced as part of the mainshaft ( from Jeep anyways).
2nd gear and the synchro rings are available seperately according to my books.

The synchro hub and sliding synchro sleeve are only serviced as part of the mainshaft ( from Jeep anyways).
2nd gear and the synchro rings are available seperately according to my books.

T5_zps7bdd5bf0.png

T51_zpsf21f990b.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks