Transmission Help

Transmission Help

aglinks

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
‘83 CJ7, 4.8L Vortec, TF999, D300, AMC20, D30
I had a clunking/knock coming from the bellhousing only when he trans was in neutral. I replaced the flexplate because I found some minor cracks and installed a new converter and new transmission filter. I started the jeep today and it made horrible noise for the first millisecond and barely moved when in gear (acted like the converter wasn’t seated and I KNOW it was). When I put the jeep in reverse it stalls the engine and the starter has a hard time engaging after it has stalled. Any thoughts?

:ww::dbanana::banana:

Starter and starter ring gear, needs inspection.
What's the history on the tranny?
Did you use the correct fluid?
Did you fill the converter before install?
LG

Lumpy! You’ve saved my bacon a ton of times on the other forums! Are you thinking spacing is an issue with the starter? I don’t know much of the history of the tranny but it’s been been mated to a v8 for the last 20 years that we have had the jeep and accrued about 20,000 miles. I used the same fluid I have always used and I added 1 quart to the converter before install per the instructions of my local transmission shop.

Additionally, there was a LOT of metallic sludge when I pulled the pan to replace the filter.

Sounds like it might be time to rebuild the tranny.
Did you get any pictures of this sludge?
How old is the starter? Are you SURE the new flex-plate was a twin to the one you replaced? Does it have the same number of starter ring gear teeth?
Is this a stock type converter?
I'm not that versed on 'juice-box' trannys. To me they are 'black-magic'. LOL
LG

Sounds like it might be time to rebuild the tranny.
Did you get any pictures of this sludge?
How old is the starter? Are you SURE the new flex-plate was a twin to the one you replaced? Does it have the same number of starter ring gear teeth?
Is this a stock type converter?
I'm not that versed on 'juice-box' trannys. To me they are 'black-magic'. LOL
LG

I didnt take any photos of the sludge, but I can tonight.

I dont know the age of the starter but it worked great prior to the transmission removal last week.

I didn't inspect the flexplate close enough to ensure that it had the same number of teeth; however, Novak says its the same.

This is a stock type converter from Precision Converters.

I have an opportunity to pick up a 727 out of a wagoneer, I think I might do that and consider it an upgrade since this trans has so much material in the pan.

Something is off with the starter if it worked with the old plate and not this one.
LG

I will be looking into the starter issue this week. But an update on the transmission...all the material in the pan was magnetic and my local transmission shop owner said it was definitively dead. I happened to browse craigslist and found a freshly built AMC 727 with receipts and all. I picked it up today for a sweet price and will be installing it as a replacement for the 999.

I took a slow motion video of the starter engaging the flexplate. It looks like it’s not staying engaged.

https://youtu.be/v27ARa06N8w

is the flywheel warped? the starter is staying engaged good enough to crank it but i wonder if the flywheel has for aft movement in it

:agree:
Somedangthing is wrong with that flex plate.
Who did you buy that plate from?
Very good vid, BTW.
LG

I still have the old flexplate that had some small cracks in it. I can install it tonight and take another video to make sure its the plate and not the starter. If it's the plate I will get Novak to send me another one.

I reinstalled the old plate and still had the same problem. I took the starter off and had it tested at AutoZone and sure enough it was bad. I just ordered a new AC Delco and will install next week when arrives.

I finished I nstalling the 727 and things went too easily. I filled it up, let it idle for a while, then topped it off again. I drove it around three times, once just around my neighborhood, then stopped and checked the fluid and let everything cool. An hour later I drove ~8 miles on a flat highway and then checked the fluid again, and finally I drove it to the grocery store. Everything was great, but when I tried to move it into my garage tonight I had no forward or reverse gears. I let it sit until I finished dinner and then I went and started it up and drove it right in. Any ideas? I am thoroughly confused.

What's the history on this tranny?
You sure the shift linkage is set up 'rite'?
LG

Do you have your kick down linkage installed and adjusted? That controls the fluid pressure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the history on this tranny?
You sure the shift linkage is set up 'rite'?
LG

The transmission was rebuilt by a shop in Phoenix. The shift linkage is hooked up correctly as is the kickdown. It worked and shifted great for about 20 miles.

The transmission was rebuilt by a shop in Phoenix. The shift linkage is hooked up correctly as is the kickdown. It worked and shifted great for about 20 miles.

Can you get it back to the shop that rebuilt it? They need to look at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:agree:
What fluid are you using?
LG

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks