Transmission help

Transmission help

Cjordan

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
82 CJ7
258/4 speed
Good afternoon folks. I had some issues with the jeep earlier today and can't figure out what's going on so hopefully y'all can help.

I was pulling into a buddies drive way and was going to circle around then back into place. I was still moving forward just a little when I tried to grab reverse. While doing so the transmission wanted to grind a little so I came to a complete stop, shifted on into reverse and eased off the clutch, but she wouldn't move. You can shift through all four forward gears or reverse and she still won't move. You can shift through gears with or without the clutch pressed in. I have tried cranking it in gear, I have went from 2hi to 4hi to 4 low but still nothing. Just wondering if this is something some of you may have ran across in the past?
Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Also when in 2hi I can spin the front drive shaft but once I shift to 4wD you can't spin it anymore

Pull the top cover off the tranny and see if you may have broken a shift fork.
What 4-speed do you have?

LG

Well, if the transfer case is engaged, this might be sorta bad. Feels like something clutch related .... like you've torn the guts out of your clutch, the springs are gone from the center spline.

Pull the top cover off the tranny and see if you may have broken a shift fork.
What 4-speed do you have?

LG
Not for sure which transmission it is. I looked it up once and for some reason I'm wanting to say 176 keeps coming to mind, but I could be way off. 4 forward in a normal shift pattern with reverse being all the way to the right and down, no granny low. I did pull the top cover and what I seen is just a ball joint that comes off the bottom of the shifter, that fits in a socket which is attached to a piece that's probably 1" wide by 3" long. It seems as though that piece just moves straight forward and backwards. This might not tell ya much but it's the best I can go off of memory the jeep is still over at my buddies house.

The clutch still feels just like it always has.

Don't know if this will help or not... but, I tried to adjust the clutch peadel several times and never could get it just right. Either it wouldn't go into gear like it was supposed to, or it would be to tight and have the throw out bearing making a little noise from being to tight, so I found the happy middle. Could shift into all gears reliably, but if you even looked at the clutch pedal the throw out bearin would rattle. Also the syncronizers have been acting up going into 3rd and 4th. I would have to double clutch it not to grind. 1,2 and reverse was fine though.

Another friend of mine has a transmission and transfer case sitting at his shop, so I guess I'll be putting that in sometime here shortly. I was just hopping maybe it could be something simple that I was overlooking... but it can't ever just be simple on my end lol

How does the shifter feel? Does it seem as if it is moving the gears inside the transmission, or is it kind of loose and floppy? If you have the T176 transmission, it is possible that you could have broken one or both of the shift lever pins. Without these pins in place, the shifter is free to move around without moving the shift forks.
Before doing anything involved, check your transfer case as Hedgehog stated to be sure it is engaged. Try high and low range to be sure.

How do you know the other set up will bolt in?:confused: What is it your friend has???
Why would you buy that before finding out what is wrong with what you have?
HH has a good point about it being the clutch.:notworthy:
If in fact it is a T-176. The shift lever pin breakage is a known issue and easy to fix.
You adjust the clutch pedal freeplay to have 1- 1/4 inch of free travel till you feel resistance.
LG

Last edited:
Having trouble adjusting a clutch, which should be a relatively easy thing to do, is a sure sign that you have clutch problems.

How does the shifter feel? Does it seem as if it is moving the gears inside the transmission, or is it kind of loose and floppy? If you have the T176 transmission, it is possible that you could have broken one or both of the shift lever pins. Without these pins in place, the shifter is free to move around without moving the shift forks.
Before doing anything involved, check your transfer case as Hedgehog stated to be sure it is engaged. Try high and low range to be sure.

It goes into all 5 gear positions but it goes in smoother than it ever has. If that makes any sense? Almost like it isn't moving gears inside the transmission

I have tried all three positions with and with out the hubs locked in and she won't move, I thought it was going to try to move once but it didn't. Sounded like the motor was starting to lug a little bit and I felt the jeep move just a hair but that was all it done

How do you know the other set up will bolt in?:confused: What is it your friend has???
Why would you buy that before finding out what is wrong with what you have?
HH has a good point about it being the clutch.:notworthy:
If in fact it is a T-176. The shift lever pin breakage is a known issue and easy to fix.
You adjust the clutch pedal freeplay to have 1- 1/4 inch of free travel till you feel resistance.
LG
Not for sure that the other will transmission wil bolt up, and I haven't seen it yet to see which it is. If it will swap the only thing it will cost me is the gas to go get it. He has a few CJ7 parts jeeps. He started running YJ and had a couple of those for parts as well. He told me if I ever needed anything just stop by and get it.
With money being tight that seemed to be the cheapest route for now.

Can one of y'all please explain what I'm looking for and where to look for it on the pins? These two post are the first I've seen anything about them. If that is a common and simple fix I can almost go ahead and check it off the list with the way my luck has been running here lately lol.

Finally got the jeep back to the house earlier. For some reason 176 was hung up in my mind, but it doesn't look like the diagram from quadratic. The shift pattern is a normal pattern 1st to the left up top, 2nd straight down, 3rd in the middle up top, 4th straight down, R to the right and down.
How can I go about telling for sure which transmission this is so maybe y'all can help me a little more? As I push in on the clutch I can hear the throw out bearing just like always, as I put the shifter in each gear the shifter stays in place, but still nothing. I will try to post some pics of the transmission to see if that will help y'all ID it

Hopefully these picture will come through

Attachments

• IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1322.jpg
    IMG_1322.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 80
I looked back through your thread. If your friend has a T-176 in good shape now is the time to swap it out. You will need the bell housing and the driveshafts from the T-176 donor as well. If he has other the T-4 or SR-4 I'd pass. I have everything you need to do this swap if needed. Just pm me. I'm going with a T-18A.

I looked back through your thread. If your friend has a T-176 in good shape now is the time to swap it out. You will need the bell housing and the driveshafts from the T-176 donor as well. If he has other the T-4 or SR-4 I'd pass. I have everything you need to do this swap if needed. Just pm me. I'm going with a T-18A.

I just counted, it has 10 bolts holding the top plate on so I guess it's a T4.
I will be going to his house one day this week to see what he has. I appreciate the offer, as soon as I find out what he does or doesn't have I might get in touch with you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks