Timing cover problem

Timing cover problem

jakeh937

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'79 Cj5, 258 with Howell Fuel injection kit, T18 with dana 20 Tcase, dana 30 front with Detroit locker, AMC 20 rear with LSD and one piece shafts, Warn 8k winch, 1" body lift, 2" suspension lift, 33 tires
I bought and installed a new timing cover from summit during my engine re-build. All machine work has been done through a well known engine shop in town. I installed my harmonic balancer, only to find its rolling the timing cover lip seal on one side. It's as if the cover or seal is off to one side farther then the other when comparing it to the crank. Any ideas? Any suggestions? I loosened the bolts and it wouldn't budge. I'm at a loss and frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a possibility the bolt holes are not lined up correctly, I think best way to tell would be un bolt cover inspect seal install harmonic balancer and cover back on motor without cover bolts to see if mounting holes line up with bolt holes in block. You might have to slot the mounting holes or use another cover if they are to far off. It is most important that your lip seal needs to line up with the harmonic balancer

There is a possibility the bolt holes are not lined up correctly, I think best way to tell would be un bolt cover inspect seal install harmonic balancer and cover back on motor without cover bolts to see if mounting holes line up with bolt holes in block. You might have to slot the mounting holes or use another cover if they are to far off. It is most important that your lip seal needs to line up with the harmonic balancer

Exactly what I think I'm going to do. I have a funny feeling the cover is just slightly off causing everything else to be off. If I have to slot holes, what's the best way to seal it back up?

RTV usually does a good job for me, I coat the bolt threads to make sure I get a good seal I hate oil leaks

Perfect. I'm going to clean up the original cover today and dry fit it. I'll let you know what I find out. Thank you for your help I appreciate it.

RTV usually does a good job for me, I coat the bolt threads to make sure I get a good seal I hate oil leaks

So I pulled the cover off and turns out I guess there's a little play side to side in the mounting. Sooooo.. flipped the engine over pulled the pan in order to re-seal with rtv a new gasket for the mounting. Probably going to change my pan gasket too being it was torqued and I'm there. Don't feel like re-doing it because it leaks. I'm thinking installing the cover, installing the balancer, aligning everything and then tightening a few bolts, removing the balancer, and final torque and put together from there. Ugh.. Just Empty Every Pocket is starting to be true with time and money lol. I'll post back once it's complete (hopefully)

So I pulled the cover off and turns out I guess there's a little play side to side in the mounting. Sooooo.. flipped the engine over pulled the pan in order to re-seal with rtv a new gasket for the mounting. Probably going to change my pan gasket too being it was torqued and I'm there. Don't feel like re-doing it because it leaks. I'm thinking installing the cover, installing the balancer, aligning everything and then tightening a few bolts, removing the balancer, and final torque and put together from there. Ugh.. Just Empty Every Pocket is starting to be true with time and money lol. I'll post back once it's complete (hopefully)

yep Just Empty Every Pocket... good luck

Finally got it!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks