Tie rods and tie rod flip

Tie rods and tie rod flip

IrishCJ6

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ6
AMC360, D150, D20,
I damaged my tie rod and draglink beyond repair on my 6, and I'm making up new ones using heavy wall tube and threaded inserts. To avoid obstruction with the springs I'm looking at doing a tie rod flip using Goferit inserts. My question is I have a RHD Jeep that uses the special "Y" branch style link up to the tie rod from the draglink, I was considering drilling an extra hole in the LHS knuckle just like that of the typical RHS knuckle (double hole) and just converting to normal LH/RH threaded tie rod ends like you guys have on your LHD Jeeps (mine would just be the opposite side). Can anyone see an issue with this? Anyone ever heard of doing this.

I don't see any issue. I would think the steering knuckle is the same material so a second hole (provided it's filled with a tre) shouldn't weaken it anymore than a stock one.

I damaged my tie rod and draglink beyond repair on my 6, and I'm making up new ones using heavy wall tube and threaded inserts. To avoid obstruction with the springs I'm looking at doing a tie rod flip using Goferit inserts. My question is I have a RHD Jeep that uses the special "Y" branch style link up to the tie rod from the draglink, I was considering drilling an extra hole in the LHS knuckle just like that of the typical RHS knuckle (double hole) and just converting to normal LH/RH threaded tie rod ends like you guys have on your LHD Jeeps (mine would just be the opposite side). Can anyone see an issue with this? Anyone ever heard of doing this.

:)I seen you posted this same question on the ECJ5 site and here is the response I posted there:

I would not guess that there would be enough room to split the two larger TRE's on the Left side...............what does it look like now?........I mean if you could mill a flat on it and get the minimum spread between them it should be fine............but moving the now current hole any closer to the spindle center line will mess up the ackermann angle's built into the system.

:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks