Tie Rod Removal on a 74 CJ5

Tie Rod Removal on a 74 CJ5

Mick

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5, 304, T15, Dana 20, 3.73
Hello all.

I have ran in to a problem that maybe the Jeep gods can help me out with.

I have a 74 CJ5 with a leaf under suspension. The Jeep is lifted 4 inches. I replaced the drag link bar and ends with no problem. When I tried to replace the tie rod bar and end joints, I ran in to a little bit of a problem. I was able to get both ends separated from the steering knuckles. However, the leaf springs will not allow the bar to drop low enough in order for the ball joint shafts to slip out of the steering knuckle holes. It appears to me that I have to also drop the front leaf springs. Is this correct?

Remember this issue.

I loosened the axle u bolts and then you can rotAte it I did not want to unscrew the ends..

73 CJ, thank you again for the reply.

I agree, I do not want to unscrew the ends either. So, by loosening the leaf spring u-bolts, that should allow the spring to come down far enough in order to rotate the tie-rod assembly for removal? That may work because I only need the spring to lower about another 1/2" or so.

Thanks for the help.

It's been a few years, but I think I got enough room by jacking up the bumper.

It's been a few years, but I think I got enough room by jacking up the bumper.
Also when you loosen the taper fit, the rod end can twist out as you drop it down. I have years ago changed to different style rod ends, as I recall it can be done with the oem setup with out having to drop the leaf springs. The oem type tie rods are quite weak especially with larger tires and there are a few stronger aftermarket versions on the market. There are also kits to reverse the tie rods the the other side which provide improved clearance from stuff like big rocks to a point.

I just replaced mine on a 75 with a few inch lift... should be similar to your Jeep. It was a bit tight but I was able to get it out without loosening the U-bolts. Try bending the rod end and rotating towards the front. It should come out.

As for strength, I put a solid steel bar inside mine. I think it will stregthen things significantly. Aftermarket coolness is probably better but also more $$$

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks