Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ5
4.2L i6 258
T-176
Dana 300
AMC 20 rear and Dana 30 front
Sorry for what might be a stupid question but I'm a newbie and trying to learn about all the tricks of the trade.
I assume that tie rod flip means putting them on top instead underneath. Mine or underneath but I see pics with them on top. Why would you do that? Advantages? Disadvantages?

The main reason is to reduce bump steer. If the angle of the drag link (connects the pitman arm to the steering knuckle) is too severe, it can cause bump steer. Basically as the suspension compresses the drag link moves through an arc. If the angle is steep to begin with, when your suspension compresses the drag link pushes the knuckle outward inducing a steering affect. When the drag link is closer to parallel this affect is minimized. The flip kit helps to reduce this angle.

The other reason is simply ground clearance. Tie rods and drag links are pretty vulnerable and a flip kit will gain you an extra couple inches.

Why would you do that? Advantages? Disadvantages?
Gets them higher so they will clear rocks/roots/etc. Also can ease the drag link angle a bit. There are different methods to mounting them on the top, each has it's advantages and expenses.

The main reason is to reduce bump steer. If the angle of the drag link (connects the pitman arm to the steering knuckle) is too severe, it can cause bump steer. Basically as the suspension compresses the drag link moves through an arc. If the angle is steep to begin with, when your suspension compresses the drag link pushes the knuckle outward inducing a steering affect. When the drag link is closer to parallel this affect is minimized. The flip kit helps to reduce this angle.

The other reason is simply ground clearance. Tie rods and drag links are pretty vulnerable and a flip kit will gain you an extra couple inches.

So a flip is not really necessary if it is driven mainly (75%) on the road? Or is it just a good thing have all the time?

So a flip is not really necessary if it is driven mainly (75%) on the road? Or is it just a good thing have all the time?
:)
It is done to correct many things , Like spring lift and how it changes steering, or as mentioned to gain tie rod clearance.........Not necessary if not needed. If you have specific questions or pictures of your front end that need addressing post some photos............otherwise drive it!

:D:D:D:D

:)
It is done to correct many things , Like spring lift and how it changes steering, or as mentioned to gain tie rod clearance.........Not necessary if not needed. If you have specific questions or pictures of your front end that need addressing post some photos............otherwise drive it!

:D:D:D:D

Mine drives fine, and steers fine I was just curious to learn the reasoning behind doing it.

As others have said the main reasons are ground clearance and draglink angle. If you do not have something like a 4" lift, doing the flip would probably make the angle wrong instead of better.

I have a 4" lift but to my recollection my drag link isn't at some bad angle, and it steers fine. I do think that my pitman arm is either longer than normal or has more of a drop than normal to help with the angle of the drag link.
I'm going to have to look at it tonight to clear my head.

That's another reason, some if not most drop pitman arms have a shorter throw than stock. Some people find that they loose some steering after installing a drop arm. By doing the flip and using a stock flat arm again, it gets them there lost steering back.

That's another reason, some if not most drop pitman arms have a shorter throw than stock. Some people find that they loose some steering after installing a drop arm. By doing the flip and using a stock flat arm again, it gets them there lost steering back.

I have no idea what you mean when you say shorter throw.:confused:
I have only had my CJ for a couple of months and haven't changed any of the steering/suspension components so I really don't know the difference in feel from one thing to another.

I have no idea what you mean when you say shorter throw.:confused:
I have only had my CJ for a couple of months and haven't changed any of the steering/suspension components so I really don't know the difference in feel from one thing to another.

A reduced turning radius. If you turn your wheel all the way to lock one direction or the other the circle you make will be larger with the drop pitman arm.

Make sense? The shorter throw doesnt allow you to corner as hard in other words.

A reduced turning radius. If you turn your wheel all the way to lock one direction or the other the circle you make will be larger with the drop pitman arm.

Make sense? The shorter throw doesnt allow you to corner as hard in other words.

Gotcha ya, thanks

That angle is not too steep at all. So I think the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" saying applies here. Especially if your jeep tracks and steers good.

That angle is not too steep at all. So I think the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it" saying applies here. Especially if your jeep tracks and steers good.

Yea it steers good and drives straight as a narrow if I let go of the wheel. My original post was more of a question to learn the reasoning for flipping and then turned into I wasn't sure mine was correct.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks