tie rod end

tie rod end

Funnyjeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
CJ7 86, 4.0L, T5, Dana300, front Dana30, rear Dana44, disc brakes front and rear, twin sticks, 33x10.5 r15, RE 2.5"lift and yj shakles 2" bodylift
Hallo,
does the CJ7 86 standard tie rod end have the same measurements as the Tj tie rod ends.
I am looking for the steering link flip - high steering and i am looking for inserts to get the taper the other way.

I found inserts for the tj but will they work for the CJ7 tie rod ends?

Thanks
Frank

If you were to find reversible tapered inserts for your CJ, I would think the tie rod end would have too small of a shaft to be strong enough. I had mine welded up and re-machined on the top side with a larger tie rod end along with a heavy duty tie rod. The oem Jeep CJ tie rod setup is weak at best and does need to be improved for off road use. There are inserts available that require a straight thru hole to be drilled into the knuckle that I have not heard of any complaints about but the application does not sound safe to me. Good luck with how you decide to mount a reversed tie rod.

Thanks a lot Torxhead,
so you are basicly saying i should better get weldet in bushings.
OK but I also found out that these are not made for the CJ original Taber of the tie rod ends.
They are most likely TJ tie rodends.
The diameter seems to be the same, but the ancle is different. so when you redid your steering linkage, did you use TJ tie rod ends?
Thanks
Frank

Thanks a lot Torxhead,
so you are basicly saying i should better get weldet in bushings.
OK but I also found out that these are not made for the CJ original Taber of the tie rod ends.
They are most likely TJ tie rodends.
The diameter seems to be the same, but the ancle is different. so when you redid your steering linkage, did you use TJ tie rod ends?
Thanks
Frank

In my opinion, I would think those press in bushings would have a tendency to spin and wear that drilled hole even larger. They have been on the market for quite a while now though.

Hey Peanut Butter,
Thanks a lot! I was reading it and knew he walked in my boots, I Think you have a saying like this.

I came up with a solution to test the insert way.
The inserts from terraflex work only tj taper. So when I flip my drag link, get the longer part to the pitmanarm then the sleeve and then a tj tie end rod to the knuckle I have an insert matching with the taper.
Tie rod TJ and Insert TJ, same taper.
If this works out I can just continue with replacing parts. and go the HD road.

Thanks!

What is wrong with my account, I cannot open a new thread?
Any idea

Last edited:
I am not the only one. sad that it does not work

Dont give up on us. The site has been having a few issues lately. The moderators have been working pretty hard on it.

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks