2018 Nissan Titan 4x4
1928 Chrysler
1950 Plymouth

Other jeeps...
1995 Jeep XJ Cherokee sold
1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ sold
1987 YJ Wrangler sold
Hello All,

I'm interested in repainting the outside of the hard top for my 1984 CJ7 to freshen it up and to go lighter than the saddle brown that is currently on it.
My first choice if available would be a stock rattle can color.

Hoping someone out there has experimented with stock colors available from retail that are a close match to the desert tan color used on jeep TJ hard tops.

I'd like to find one close to the color of the top shown on the green TJ in the pictures.
The pictures are a little deceptive.
The color of each is most accurate in each photo where the tops are closest to the door handles.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Cleg20191012_133458.jpgTan Hardtop_HDR.jpg

Sorry, no help with the colors but make sure when you change it is a vinyl dye and not a paint.

Found a good option for hard top paint to re-do the inside and out on my 1984 CJ7 for about $100.
Off the shelf color is pretty close to the tan & off white that what was on it originally.

Exterior = Rustoleum Universal "Matte Burlap" #282817.
Bought 6 cans and have about 1-1/2 left over.
Not a stock item anywhere that I could find so ordered from Menards.

Exterior clear coated the matte burlap with Rustoleum Universal High gloss #302110.
Stock item at Lowes. Used about 4 cans.
My thinking was that the matte paint would get dirty almost immediately.

Interior used off white Rustoleum Universal "French Cream Matte" #282816, used 3 cans.
Stock item from Lowes.
Did not clear coat but it would probably be a good idea.

Rattle cans in general are not so good for covering large surfaces.
I set the top up on blocks with a 2x4 bolted across 2 of the mounting holes so I could angle it to help avoid some of the overspray and drips.
The matte is pretty forgiving so spraying it in sections provided a decent result.

Good luck.

Clark

Attachments

• 1007201915.jpg
    1007201915.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1011201619.jpg
    1011201619.jpg
    301 KB · Views: 15
  • 1016201745_HDR.jpg
    1016201745_HDR.jpg
    545 KB · Views: 20
  • 1016201815a.jpg
    1016201815a.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Nice work cleg !

Found a good option for hard top paint to re-do the inside and out on my 1984 CJ7 for about $100.
Off the shelf color is pretty close to the tan & off white that what was on it originally.

Exterior = Rustoleum Universal "Matte Burlap" #282817.
Bought 6 cans and have about 1-1/2 left over.
Not a stock item anywhere that I could find so ordered from Menards.

Exterior clear coated the matte burlap with Rustoleum Universal High gloss #302110.
Stock item at Lowes. Used about 4 cans.
My thinking was that the matte paint would get dirty almost immediately.

Interior used off white Rustoleum Universal "French Cream Matte" #282816, used 3 cans.
Stock item from Lowes.
Did not clear coat but it would probably be a good idea.

Rattle cans in general are not so good for covering large surfaces.
I set the top up on blocks with a 2x4 bolted across 2 of the mounting holes so I could angle it to help avoid some of the overspray and drips.
The matte is pretty forgiving so spraying it in sections provided a decent result.

Good luck.

Clark
Great post and great help! :chug:

A little more info that may be helpful.

Prep work consisted of a few hours of scrubbing with Scotch Brite pads, Comet and Bar Keepers Friend, The cleaners include some abrasives to help strip off surface oxidation.
Skim coated a few chips with glazing putty, wet sanded with 220 on a block then 320 then 400 grit paper.

Went over the seams in the top with a stiff brush & lacquer thinner on a rag to remove any dirt.

Lots of crevices for water to hide.
Give the top a day to dry after prep to avoid having residual water mess up your paint.

I've used the "Rustoleum Universal" paint on multiple projects and adhesion & durability are excellent and it requires NO PRIMER. Just go straight to the color coat.

Lowes also had an in-stock less expensive spray paint in their "2X" line that appeared to be the same color that they called "Nutmeg?" not sure of the color name.
It may have also been a good choice but I didn't want to experiment on something this hard to re-paint.
1019201644_Burst01.jpgpaints.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks