T18 tranny

T18 tranny

driver007

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1981 cj5 304 v8, 300 Dana,model 30 Dana and model 20 AMC rear end
I took my girl out for the first time only drove it once in the frozen winter. Drove like a champ. I have fresh gl5 in it. But it seemed to drive louder. Is there any snake oil to tame or a better oil then gl5 80-90?

T-18s are kinda noisy.
Did you fill to the fill hole?
How do you know it's not the t'case? Have you check'd it's oil level?
BTW-A cup of STP goes a long way in helping with the noise.
LG

Changed all diff's and transfer case plus the tranny. Level to the fill holes the holes. It does shift harder then my 176

Is the T-18 loud in all the gears? Mine wasn't loud at all, maybe it whined a little in 1st or compound gear, but the rest of the gears were normal with 4th being quiet.

It's a truck transmission with a long throw, it can be a bit louder then the light and medium duty transmissions. Running the required GL5 in freezing temps may add to the noise a bit until the lube warms up.

I agree with HH. Mine growls a little in first but not others. I run 50w in mine which helps with the cold weather shifting etc.

Wooly

I made a mistake I am running gl4. I found copper in the old oil I am thinking some stop leak has been added to it. Hoping a flush helps out.

I made a mistake I am running gl4. I found copper in the old oil I am thinking some stop leak has been added to it. Hoping a flush helps out.

Copper? was it flakes or more fuzz(fuzz like when you change out the pumpkin oil after 500 mile new gear break in? just wondering, iv found this thread and thought it was interesting?... dont get me wrong im not saying that thread was "gold" but a good read...:chug:

do you think the cooper is from the synchros being worn? or from the oil?

Last edited:
Ain't copper-Copper is way to soft.
Synchros are made of brass.;)
The oil color can make it look like yellow metal. I would check with a magnet to be sure your not lose'n a bearing.
LG

Ain't copper-Copper is way to soft.
Synchros are made of brass.;)
The oil color can make it look like yellow metal. I would check with a magnet to be sure your not lose'n a bearing.
LG

Brass... 10-4:chug: Iv seen drain plugs modded/sold with a magnet just for that reason... to bad copper/zinc ( brass, lol) isn't magnetic, but for sure will pull any thing that broke off the bearings

Last edited:
Real sure it was copper. Looked like copper coat anti seize. Thinking it was to try to stop a leak. Did not appear to be steel. It will come out next winter. Gl4 up here is gold I got the last 5gallon pail known to man. Right after I bought it all the mud boys wanted to buy it.

Talked to Rob at Willys Works about your transmission. Not good news. A noisy transmission along with copper/brass in the oil means, STOP DRIVING. In his experience that is a sign that the T-18 is tearing up its thrust washers. That happens when the bearings are loose, VERY loose, and they are traveling out and grinding away the brass thrust washers. Fairly quickly they will be grinding away your case making a rebuild impossible. This is serious stuff and needs to be taken care of ASAP. Sorry guy, I trust Rob and he doesn't have anything to gain in exaggerating the truth.

Never rebuilt a T-18. Surprised to hear they used brass washers instead to roller thrust bearings for this.:confused:
LG

Yep, they use brass thrust washers. If taken care of a T-18 lasts for ever so I guess brass isn't a mistake. Actually it might be a good thing in that brass in the oil/grease is an indicator of BAD trouble coming.

Makes me glad to have found steel thrust washers when I rebuilt my T19 :banana: . As far as gear oil goes, I'm running (and would recommend) GL1 since it's what was available when the T18/19's were first built and is what Novak recommends to use.

If a T-18 is in good working order the brass thrust washers are not a problem. When things are warn to the point where they need attention, IE a taper where it should be straight. A taper in the shaft bearing will allow the bearings to travel out to attach the thrust washer. This is bad business and needs to be addressed before a new transmission is the only option. Make no mistake a T-18 is a super tough transmission but nothing lasts forever without some maintenance.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks