T-5 trans. 5th gear and Vin code

T-5 trans. 5th gear and Vin code

jamesweed

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 cj-7, 258, T-5, dana 300, stock diffs; 1967 Chevy Nova 2d HT
hello, First post.

Just bought an 85 CJ7, all orig and stock. Its a 5 speed, must be a T-5, Vin number has an "F" for trans code. Cant find ref for that...kinda strange, its a California jeep if that has anything to do with it, don't know.

Anyhow, wont engage in 5th gear. all other gears work fine, including reverse. The engine just freewheels when shifter is in 5th. Sound like a tranny rebuild?? or something that can be worked from the top as the linhage feels a bit sloppy??? Ive never had the cover or worked on the T5 before. Any tips/advice?

THX JAMES

The T5 (along with its brother the T4) are the worst transmissions to go into a CJ. You may want to upgrade to a T176. That would require a longer drive shaft in rear and a shorter in front but otherwise it is an easy swap.
Or if you really want a really heavy duty tranny get a ford T18. Advanced Adapters and Novak have kits that can be used to install a Ford T18. Don't get a Jeep T18 that will be more work.
I can't help you with the VIN code.

Last edited:
The T5 (along with its brother the T4) are the worst transmissions to go into a CJ. You may want to upgrade to a T176. That would require a longer drive shaft in rear and a shorter in front but otherwise it is an easy swap.
Or if you really want a really heavy duty tranny get a ford T18. Advanced Adapters and Novak have kits that can be used to install a Ford T18. Don't get a Jeep T18 that will be more work.
I can't help you with the VIN code.

Do what BusaDave said -- T176 or T18. I didn't follow his advice and did a T4 to T5 swap and am regretting it. Once I swap on some 33s, I won't really benefit from a 5th gear (.75 over vs. 1:1 in 4th.) and I have a 4:10 rear end....

The driveshafts can be purchased new from Tom Woods Driveshafts for about $200 a piece. If you can find a T176 with the driveshafts, get 'em (or let me know and I'll take it!!)

Even a rebuilt T5 is a virtually new piece of :dung:. Go with piece of mind....T176 or T18.

Cheers, :chug:
TrebleHook

Thanks guys for the advice. I only intend on using the jeep for very mild off road use, and more as a daily driver that can get me through a little snow and mud now and then. Would I really benefit from a heavy duty 4 speed? I do like the 5 speed for highway driving, but not if its junk obviously. Ive got slight oversize tires on it now, maybe a move back to stock size tires/rims and a 4 speed to not miss the 5th gear at higher speeds so much?

JAMES

With tires that are slightly oversized it is like having slightly higher gears. You may not miss not having an overdrive.
Given your use of the jeep you may not need the heavy duty T18.
I would still recommend the medium duty T176. As TrebleHook said you can get new drive shafts from Tom Woods for $200 each or call around. A local shop may be able to modify both drive shafts for half that.
I would go for the T176 but that's just my opinion.

If you really want a 5 speed look for an NV3550 from a newer Jeep and get the adapters to mate it to you transfer case. They are much stronger and fantastic transmissions.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks