Stockish height softer ride?

Stockish height softer ride?

cuban11182

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7: 258, T5, Dana 300, Holley 390, Nutter Bypass.
I'm trying to get myself organized on everything I'm going to do with my CJ. One thing I've noticed it she rides REALLY rough. Maybe I'm just a sissy out just a total newb to Jeeps, but I'd like my wife to ride in it from time to time. There is an extensive amount of information available and I'm beginning to become overwhelmed. I'd like to keep her looking pretty stock so I don't want to do an axle over, or lift more than say 2 inches. I'd like to stock with the 30 tire size I have now. From what I've read the Old Man EMU seems to be the most comfortable setup. Is there anything else I should look at? Cost really isn't an issue.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

You will like the ride with OME, but keep in mind it requires some parts change out/modifying to the front end to accept the longer and wider YJ spring. Well worth it IMO. There are companies that offer complete kits that come with everything you need or you can source the parts piece by piece.

From what I've read I have to change out the shackles and the perches to accept the wider springs. It'll probably be easier just to purchase the kit, leaves the guesswork out of it (unless I find a parts list with PNs). Thanks for the advice.

Who sells the kit? I saw on 4WD.com rock equipment granite kit and I guess I'd pair it with the ARB setup, but I'm not finding the OME kit.

Why do you not stick with stock height cj springs? No need to change any thing else. Use a set of quality poly bushings. If theres not enough clearnace for your 30's like that, get a set of 1" HD shackles. that should give you plenty of clearance for the tires and a soft ride. lift springs by nature will be a little bit more stiff. Unless you are going crazy off roading and beating on in theres no need for the upgrade to wider springs. Also a set of good quality shocks will make the ride good to.

You will like the ride with OME, but keep in mind it requires some parts change out/modifying to the front end to accept the longer and wider YJ spring. Well worth it IMO. There are companies that offer complete kits that come with everything you need or you can source the parts piece by piece.

I have seen kits that have a new shackle hanger for the front to accept the wider YJ shackle. They are pricey. What is your opinion on these shackles from RE? Rubicon Express RE2785 - Rubicon Express Shackle Conversion for 76-86 Jeep® CJ - Quadratec
They look like they are made to have the frame shackle hanger width of a cj and then fan out to work with a YJ spring.

I have seen kits that have a new shackle hanger for the front to accept the wider YJ shackle. They are pricey. What is your opinion on these shackles from RE? Rubicon Express RE2785 - Rubicon Express Shackle Conversion for 76-86 Jeep® CJ - Quadratec
They look like they are made to have the frame shackle hanger width of a cj and then fan out to work with a YJ spring.

Swapping the brackets are not the hard part. Its changing the spring perches on the axle. You can use cj rear shackle hangers to mount the front shackles. I just dont see the need if he's not beating it on trails or "flxing out"

Swapping the brackets are not the hard part. Its changing the spring perches on the axle. You can use cj rear shackle hangers to mount the front shackles. I just dont see the need if he's not beating it on trails or "flxing out"

I thought people who did the swap used Rear spring plates on the front for the wider spring.

YJ springs are softer and ride better so I would think they would be a viable option, I do not know if that would provide lift or not. I think you misunderstood what I was asking though. I was asking if that RE conversion shackle kit made it so you didnt have to change out the spring hangers.

Why do you not stick with stock height cj springs? No need to change any thing else. Use a set of quality poly bushings. If theres not enough clearnace for your 30's like that, get a set of 1" HD shackles. that should give you plenty of clearance for the tires and a soft ride. lift springs by nature will be a little bit more stiff. Unless you are going crazy off roading and beating on in theres no need for the upgrade to wider springs. Also a set of good quality shocks will make the ride good to.

I vaguely remember seeing that there were different options for the CJ springs. Would the stock size springs and poly bushings make for a better ride than the old mane emu YJ conversion?

I don't do any offroading (here in texas there isn't much except for the beach). Even when I do it'll mostly be fire roads. This is still depending on where I get stationed. If it's Alaska, then that is something else entirely.

Well that makes life entirely easier doesn't it. I'm assuming with that I could use stock YJ springs instead of the CJ's. From what I've read the YJ's ride is more comfortable compared to the CJ, is that correct?

I thought people who did the swap used Rear spring plates on the front for the wider spring.

YJ springs are softer and ride better so I would think they would be a viable option, I do not know if that would provide lift or not. I think you misunderstood what I was asking though. I was asking if that RE conversion shackle kit made it so you didnt have to change out the spring hangers.

Based on what I'm seeing it allows me to use the wider front springs up front. I'd still have to get a different mount to connect the axle to the springs, including new U-bolts.

This is what I'm talking about being overwhelmed. There is so much information available in comparison to my Titan. I've already done everything I want to for it, and the nice thing is (well it could be considered a bad thing) is that there is Limited aftermarket so if you want to do XYZ to your truck, you only have this one company that provides it. It's good and bad I guess.

From what I've read the Old Man EMU seems to be the most comfortable setup. Is there anything else I should look at? Cost really isn't an issue.

I would check out custom spring makers. They could make a soft spring in stock cj size.
Alcan spring is the only one I can think of right now but there are several others.

I would check out custom spring makers. They could make a soft spring in stock cj size.
Alcan spring is the only one I can think of right now but there are several others.

Another new thing to me. Custom springs. Thanks Old Dog.

Hey Dave, since your cI7 and my yj are so similar, come drive mine. I have an old man emu 2.5" lift on mine.

Sounds good, thanks Jason. You, more than anyone, know how crappy these roads are here and it's a horrible ride.

I'm glad I'm following this thread: :)

I didn't know you needed to change the perches to do the YJ conversion...this is the first I've heard of it since I started reading about it a few months back. So of course I googled it.

Seems to be a lot of people running without changing the perches and I haven't seen a kit/items with new perches as a part of the conversion (nothing in the BDS kit or on Crabtree's site).

Is it possible to get someone to explain to me the negatives of not changing the perches when doing the conversion? No disrespect or anything...I really just need to know because a YJ conversion 2.5 lift is my next planned mod :confused: and I'll probably avoid it if it means changing the perches...I'm just not that handy haha.

PS: Hey, Jimbo, did you get my email on the light wiring kit? Was curious if your still making them and if you could add me in a set up for my spotlights?

Jeep CJ OME lift
Old Man Emu 2.5" Suspension Systems for 76-86 Jeep® CJ with AMC Model 20 Rear Axle - Quadratec
Rubicon Express Part RE5525M - 4.5 Inch Extreme-Duty Leaf Spring Lift Kit with Mono Tube Shocks - - 4 Wheel Parts

Just some quick references for complete kits. I went with Rocky Road,and was very pleased with the product and results. Their shipping took longer than they said it would (couple weeks as I recall) but I would still recommend them. Yes I realize the last one isnt for OME, just throwing it in for chits and giggles.

Rocky road are great to deal with.

^^^This!
Not as expensive as you think and you can get them just the rate your want.

I looked at all my bushings and they are shot. I ordered some prothane replacements and will comment back once I get them one this weekend.

I looked at all my bushings and they are shot. I ordered some prothane replacements and will comment back once I get them one this weekend.

Just thought I'd throw this out there...if you're planning on going with prothane motor mounts they are 1inch higher than stock (at least mine were) and if you use stock bushing body mounts a few things will be misaligned (clutch, fan shroud, etc)...

Strangely enough a one inch body lift (daystar) put everything back into alignment...

Good luck on those body mounts. Penetrating oil liberally a few times and a couple days before will help you out a lot.

I only got the suspension components for now. Eventually I'll get the motor, trans, and body mounts.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks