Stock and Lifted Leaf Height

Stock and Lifted Leaf Height

Coolspot

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1976 CJ-5, Chevy 327 engine, stock tranny
Hi everyone,

[FONT=&quot]I'm looking to lift my 1976 CJ5 about 2-2.5'' more than right now but I would like to confirm that my current setup is stock... the truck already has a drop Pitman arm... but with 33'' tires and a 1.5'' body lift, the tires are kind of close to the wheel wells, see picture:[/FONT]

imagejpeg_2.jpg

To do so, could someone help me out by measuring spring height with truck on the ground? See picture below, I'm looking for dimension B for Front and Back:

qu32135_800.jpg
Measurement could also be taken from top of axle to frame:)

Thanks !

Um... As I said before - you can not run 33's without a lift. You CJ running 33's is and has a spring lift.

If you want to add more lift you will have to go spring over axle (SOA).

The next logical question is - WHY?

So looking at this picture, I would say my lift is near to 0 right?
REAR.jpg

I see a body lift n your jeep, you might want to measure the spacers under the body, that might be how your PO got 33s on your Jeep, as the spring you show does not have much arch to it, if you have lift springs they are not much of a lift

Um... As I said before - you can not run 33's without a lift. You CJ running 33's is and has a spring lift.

Best answer I can think of is...... because we can!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA :D. Big grin ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info

I know the truck is body lifted, springs looks lifted a little, shackle are longer by memory (I'm at work right now)

As for the WHY?

I want to lift an extra 2-3'' from right now (need to know what is on now) because:
-I find my 33'' to close to fender for offroad
-My front drive shaft touches my bell-housing (V8 327) when I hit bumps on the road. My motor mounts are damaged a little, but it would only get the engine 1/2'' higher...:(

IMO you need a 4" spring lift to run 33's to keep from rubbing the body.

After looking at the pics the best I could I think you have a couple of things together that give just enough clearance for 33s.

1. The shackles are after market. They dont look crazy long so Id bet they are only good for 1/2 in or 1 in tops. They would have to be 2 in longer than stock to net 1 in. For every in over stock you net 1/2 in of lift.

2. Theres a body lift there as you know. Simply measure the spacer and youll know what you get out of that. Looks like about 1in there. Thats the most you should go with a body lift IMO.

3. Those springs do look pretty flat for sure. Im still betting they are atleast 1 in lift springs though. I am confused by why you already have a drop pitman arm? Usually they are only used for 4 in lifts. Maybe the P.O. was told he needed one? :confused:

Ive had a couple Cjs with 2 1/2 in springs and aftermarket shackles that cleared 33s. They rubbed off road though. I like to use the2 1/2 in springs and trim the body to keep the Cjs center of gravity lower but it doesnt look like your ready to take a sawsall to yours just yet. :D

Im with Old Dog on this one. Get yourself some 4 in springs and you'll be happy. That , combined with your body lift and shackles , and youll be trying to figure out how to clear the 35s you see running around. ;)

IMO you need a 4" spring lift to run 33's to keep from rubbing the body.
I would add a 1" body lift, a 1/2" shackle lift, trimming the fender skirts,plus cranking out the steering stops for that with 8" wheels. I added increased bump stops for 35" tires. Those entry steps would not last long in the rocks. Doing it with a short CJ5 can be a challenge though. My $.02 worth

Thanks everyone for you input, I measured the lift yesterday (distance from top of leaf to top of axle) and got around 2" in front and 1" in the rear. Cj you were right Jeep is lifted :)

You will need Yj front shackles and spring plates as well. The Yj front springs are wider than the Cj fronts. I keep hearing its a great upgrade and the Yj springs are more flexible while giving a better ride.

I havent tried it yet but I am going to on the next Cj project I start. :)

:dung:, I meant yj. I found this on Craig's list and was thinking it my be a good deal. Jeep Wrangler YJ 6" lift leaf springs

Thanks every one for your input!

I' not still convinced about my truck lift...:confused:

I want to buy new springs but I don't want to lift my truck more than 2'' as it sits right now. I can't decide between 2.5'' or 4'' lift springs...

I was reading on the web that stock height from bottom of rocker panel to level floor is around 20'' with stock tires

I'm getting 24''
so if I calculate:

24''-tire lift - body lift
24'' - ((33''-28'')/2) - 1.5''
24 - 2.5'' - 1.5'' = 20'' = no lift on springs...

Now, is it because my tub is Fiberglass...??:confused:

Im getting aroung 19'' from ground to bottom of frame under tub with my 33''.
Could someone mesure their frame to ground distance please?

Another thing to compare would be center to center distance on the front shocks assuming stock brackets. I'm getting around 17'' in front.

Thanks again!:)

You are thinking entirely too much about this lift. It really doesn't matter how much lift you already have - you don't know how much lift it was when installed or how much it has sagged since then. The 76-86 CJs have been around for, well, decades and lift to tire diameter info is well documented. Most sites that sell Jeep lifts list the size of tire you can fit with a given lift; and there is a ton of info on this site too. What you should be asking is what 4" lift springs provide the "best" ride and compliance out on the trail.

You are thinking entirely too much about this lift. It really doesn't matter how much lift you already have - you don't know how much lift it was when installed or how much it has sagged since then. The 76-86 CJs have been around for, well, decades and lift to tire diameter info is well documented. Most sites that sell Jeep lifts list the size of tire you can fit with a given lift; and there is a ton of info on this site too. What you should be asking is what 4" lift springs provide the "best" ride and compliance out on the trail.

Sorry if I did not explain myself correctly :eek:

My front driveshaft is touching my tranny bellhousing when I hit bumps...I want to lift the jeep at least 1'' more. I just don't want to spend 1000$ on a suspension giving me the same lift as right now...

That's why I’m asking those questions. I know my suspension has sagged, but I want to know how much

Thanks

Have you thought about doing a add-a-leaf it's the cheapest way to go and would give you about 2".

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks