Stock '86

Stock '86

Flundertaker

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock
considering my lift options for my new to me 1986 CJ. Any reason not to consider a SOA conversion versus a 4" lift kit? Would like to fit 33s easily or possilbly 35s with a bit more work. Axles will be out for rebuild and regearing so thats why I am considering the SOA at this time, easy to cut and reweld spring pads, etc. Open to all options and opinions .

Unless you are planning on fairly aggressive off roading, SOA is probably not the way to go. You also have to think about, are you willing to cut some sheet metal away to clear the larger tires. I was able to fit 33" tires on my 79 CJ7 with springs that had worn to near stock height with trimmed sheet metal. When I installed a 4" spring lift, many other things changed. There are a lot of factors to consider. Doing a 4" lift is not as simple as installing a set of springs or changing to SOA. You are going to affect many things that a lot of people don't think of. Pinion angles, driveshaft slope, caster angles, steering shaft, steering linkage geometry, brake lines, clutch linkage. This is not a complete list, but you get my meaning. Ask lots of questions. Lots of us have done every kind of lift imaginable, and everyone is more than willing to help.

Last edited:
I would upgrade to a Ford 9" in the rear.
Gary

Thinking of doing the same thing to my 86. i was considering a 2' suspension lift and a 2" body lift. Not sure what the best brand would be for a DIY project. Any thoughts?

No need for SOA to run 33's.
Gary

My local 4wd shop recommends the Terra Flex 4.5” kit for my application. Thoughts or suggestions on shocks or other ancillary suspension or driveline additions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you are planning on fairly aggressive off roading, SOA is probably not the way to go. You also have to think about, are you willing to cut some sheet metal away to clear the larger tires. I was able to fit 33" tires on my 79 CJ7 with springs that had worn to near stock height with trimmed sheet metal. When I installed a 4" spring lift, many other things changed. There are a lot of factors to consider. Doing a 4" lift is not as simple as installing a set of springs or changing to SOA. You are going to affect many things that a lot of people don't think of. Pinion angles, driveshaft slope, caster angles, steering shaft, steering linkage geometry, brake lines, clutch linkage. This is not a complete list, but you get my meaning. Ask lots of questions. Lots of us have done every kind of lift imaginable, and everyone is more than willing to help.

If you read the vehicle descriptions of the members responding you will see that the imagination is endless. How bad do you want to get yourself stuck is the question

Bass and I agree on almost everything, he and his wife OldJeepLady are two of my dearest friends without question, and I ask his advice often. What he posted here is absolutely correct - except we disagree on whether or not SOA is a good solution.

I think it depends on what you end up wanting to do, how you wheel, where you wheel - and if you're like me, that answer changes as the years go on.

A "GOOD" SOA kit is exactly that and does a nice job and offers plenty of lift. It's not the only answer to your scenario, and another poster was right that you don't need SOA for 33's. You will indeed have a better ride on stock springs with SOA as opposed to 4" lift springs. There's also folks that will tell you not to put 35's on a Dana 30 either, then there's others that have had them for years. Some of it is luck, some of it is HOW and where you wheel.

Those that like SOA have or know someone who has a GOOD setup. Those who don't like them have/had or know someone that has/had a junk setup. That said, a cheap SOA kit is somewhere between not great and dangerous.

The kit from Rocky Road https://www.rocky-road.com/cj-spring-over-axle.html is just one example of a well built kit.

Do what you want, but don't half @ss it with either solution and you'll be fine.

Bass and I agree on almost everything, he and his wife OldJeepLady are two of my dearest friends without question, and I ask his advice often. What he posted here is absolutely correct - except we disagree on whether or not SOA is a good solution.

I think it depends on what you end up wanting to do, how you wheel, where you wheel - and if you're like me, that answer changes as the years go on.

A "GOOD" SOA kit is exactly that and does a nice job and offers plenty of lift. It's not the only answer to your scenario, and another poster was right that you don't need SOA for 33's. You will indeed have a better ride on stock springs with SOA as opposed to 4" lift springs. There's also folks that will tell you not to put 35's on a Dana 30 either, then there's others that have had them for years. Some of it is luck, some of it is HOW and where you wheel.

Those that like SOA have or know someone who has a GOOD setup. Those who don't like them have/had or know someone that has/had a junk setup. That said, a cheap SOA kit is somewhere between not great and dangerous.

The kit from Rocky Road https://www.rocky-road.com/cj-spring-over-axle.html is just one example of a well built kit.

Do what you want, but don't half @ss it with either solution and you'll be fine.

I appreciate the input. I decided to stick with spring under and stayed conservative 2.5" Rubicon Express kit. I have $1200 worth of basically new 31.5" Goodyear Kevlar Wranglers so I opted to run this set up for at least a year or 2 and then I will re-evaluate my needs, wants, and bank account at that time.

I appreciate the input. I decided to stick with spring under and stayed conservative 2.5" Rubicon Express kit. I have $1200 worth of basically new 31.5" Goodyear Kevlar Wranglers so I opted to run this set up for at least a year or 2 and then I will re-evaluate my needs, wants, and bank account at that time.

Gotcha. Tires are expensive and they seem to dictate a lot. Good decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks