Steering Wheel

Steering Wheel

Flundertaker

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'86 CJ7, 258, T5, D300, D30/D44 Pretty Much Stock
Wondering what wheels others are using? I still have my factory steering wheel but not real fond of it. Too thin, too large diameter. I wish I could find something very similar in appearance with a slightly smaller diameter and a little thicker. Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GM column in the 76 to 86 year range, so almost anything that would fit those.

I still have my factory wheel also which is cracked in a couple of places My brother is working on making a new one, and once I get my Jeep rolling again I will install it Couple of teaser pictures image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Mine started to come apart a few years back, so I replaced it. Dont remember if it was from RA or Amazon, but it works well. IIRC, the original was 14" and i do remember the only stock type replacement that didnt look like some dumb A BAD WORD space aged shape was 13". My only complaint is the center spoke is chrome and can be blinding when the sun is aligned just right with the wheel. At 6'4" and 240, the smaller wheel worked out better too

The steering wheel from a first generation Chevy S10 fits quite well but is a bit difficult to find.

My steering wheel is completely finished now. When I originally saw Shum8 's wheel I was wowed with what could be accomplished by someone with some skill. I have a very cheap AMC wheel that is plastic and cracked and never looked good to begin with. I know I have no wood skill to accomplish such an attempt at this so I turned to my brother who has done some nice wood working, not knowing if he could do it or even want to attempt it himself. He was a little apprehensive at first having never attempting anything like that. I showed him some pictures of Shum's and he said he would give it a try. In the end he got a little frustrated with it and he knows where all the flaws are, but I'm 100 % satisfied. Take a look and see what you think He also gave credit where do. Shum8image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Nice. Tell your brother he did a great job.

See what your brother would charge to make one, he might get a lot of orders from this site for the right price.

Oh wow!! I'm a woodworker myself and think i'm pretty good at it but I have no idea how to go about something like that. He did an awesome job!!!!

I could ask, but I'm sure it would be cost prohibitive. I bought the wheel in a Cali Jeep yard and shipped to me to do the work to remove all the rubber and clean it up. Then pay to ship it to him, then pay to ship back go me. All that was not cheap. He bought the wood and finishing materials. Provided all the equipment and most of all the time and labor which is the priceless part. I have to admit I never knew he liked me that much. :)

Wow, a job well done. Is your bro a woodworker by profession? If not he should be.

He had a very small business for awhile in a small niche but it got to be to difficult to continue on and he closed it a couple of years ago. He has some of the equipment set up in his garage

See what your brother would charge to make one, he might get a lot of orders from this site for the right price.
mtnwhlr got your answer in a round about way. " I couldn't afford anymore jobs like that " In otherwords way to many hours for the end product. My thoughts are for what you could sell it for would be like making a $1 per hour, with that many hours involved :(

shum has somewhat of a tutorial on how he did his in a build thread of his. I bought an extra steering wheel and got as far as taking the crusty rubber off. It's been staring at me in the garage for the last year because I have other priorities. When I get the time, I may start back up again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks