Steering stabilizer bracket.

Steering stabilizer bracket.

Vikingone

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85' CJ7, 4.2 Liter, swapped in T18
So if taking apart the front end. Cleaning and painting parts. Do I need to mark where the steering stabilizer bracket goes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk6fdd185dc5731cee9b5e4511a208a5be.jpg

Wow that's one beefy bracket. Couldn't hurt but, more important is to record the measurement of the tierod lenght if you plan on taking it all a part. So the alignment won't be to far off when you reassemble the steering rods. Adjusting the stabilizer isn't really hard if you don't.

I definitely be measuring the tie rod length. I normally also count the amount of threads exposed on the tie rod ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need. Tie rod adjusts caster, drag link centers your steering wheel. Very easy to align. Do not pay an alignment shop 200 bucks. You will never get it right trying to match your measurements during reassembly. Consider replacing ball joints. If you do replace them, do not use the included rubber boots. Get some high quality aftermarket ones.

No need. Tie rod adjusts caster, drag link centers your steering wheel. Very easy to align. Do not pay an alignment shop 200 bucks. You will never get it right trying to match your measurements during reassembly. Consider replacing ball joints. If you do replace them, do not use the included rubber boots. Get some high quality aftermarket ones.

I’ll be definitely replacing the ball joints. Gonna go with MOOG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me correct myself. Tie rod adjusts toe in. Didn’t mean to confuse anyone.

Do not pay an alignment shop 200 bucks.

Note to self , don't use this guys alignment shop. The shop I used was 70 bucks, well worth the money spent.
I ball parked it after all my work and was still a few degrees off, nothing like a good laser alignment
Definitely get it aligned after all your work.

Did you ask them to give you an extra degree or two for your oversized tires or lift?

Yes, they got it into spec. The there is a 2° difference between the castor on right and left side, he thinks the axle maybe tweaked slightly. It was a wheeled pretty hard before I got, as everything was shot. It steers way better now then it ever did before, it is still a 5 so it's not luxury car steering.

I hear you.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks