steering shot - "upgrade" vs OEM advice

sponge

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
86 CJ7, a minivan, and an Infiniti G37x
So the steering assembly and box are shot.

I have a heavy duty box bracket already from a deal years gone by.

In an effort to not spend money for the sake of spending money.

What is worth the upgrade and what is a waste because it all is pretty cheap...

Jeep has a 4" lift and 33x12.50 tires.

Thanks for the insight...

The last thing to replace is the steering box, which in my opinion is a good box to begin with. Check first for warn out parts and a bad alignment.

:agree:
How/why do you think the 'box' is bad? When there's so much else that will cause 'loose' sterring.
LG

Assuming you have confirmed your box is shot, as others have stated..

I got a stock replacement reman from Summit for like $130ish, guy wanted $175 to do a gasket rebuild at my local place so it was a no brainer..only pain was having to send the core back.

:chug:

There are a number of options when it comes to the Jeep CJ steering box. It is, afterall, a GM (Saginaw Gear) item. You can have your's rebuilt, upgrade to a custom box, or look for a suitable swap. I'd suggest doing a quick Google (or Bing) search for it. Lot's of people have swapped out the stock CJ box for other ones.

IIRC, one of the popular swaps was from a Hummer. Someone will surely correctly me on this if I'm wrong.... :chug:

I have put a Grand Cherokee box in a CJ. I have a dodge Durango box in mine.

I have put a Grand Cherokee box in a CJ. I have a dodge Durango box in mine.
The first thing I notice when I finally got to drive my CJ5, was the power steering. It was definitely 70's era 'luxury style' power steering - full power. Unlike the newer power steering systems that are variable.

borgenson steering shaft and a rebuilt variable ratio Saginaw steering box with your heavy duty bracket :chug: and replacement tie rod ends

It's been about 2 months, what have you decided to do?

Alright CJ gurus.. My CJ project is underway and I need some opinions on steering. The build thread requirements are a little crazy but I can start a build thread if y'all want.

Anyways, I replaced the stock steering shaft with the Burgeon HD shaft. It seems like its pretty tight buuutt now my steering box is leaking really bad from the input shaft seal. So heres my question, should I just fix the seal or upgrade the gear box with he Hummer steering gear box? I think that my steering gear is in "ok" condition and I'm not afraid to try and replace the seal but I'm not against upgrading.. Like the OP I'm all for upgrading but I don't want to spend money on something if its not worth it.

Alright CJ gurus.. My CJ project is underway and I need some opinions on steering. The build thread requirements are a little crazy but I can start a build thread if y'all want.

Anyways, I replaced the stock steering shaft with the Burgeon HD shaft. It seems like its pretty tight buuutt now my steering box is leaking really bad from the input shaft seal. So heres my question, should I just fix the seal or upgrade the gear box with he Hummer steering gear box? I think that my steering gear is in "ok" condition and I'm not afraid to try and replace the seal but I'm not against upgrading.. Like the OP I'm all for upgrading but I don't want to spend money on something if its not worth it.

go to the parts store of your choice and purchase a steering box for a later 80s 2 wheel drive Dodge truck and it should have the same hose fittings as yours and it be a variable ratio to boot and you wont have to worry about leaking seals anymore :chug:

Im not aware that a Hummer box was an upgrade I will look that up

go to the parts store of your choice and purchase a steering box for a later 80s 2 wheel drive Dodge truck and it should have the same hose fittings as yours and it be a variable ratio to boot and you wont have to worry about leaking seals anymore :chug:

Im not aware that a Hummer box was an upgrade I will look that up

Thanks Gert! I'll look into this. Any idea if it has the same bolt holes for the mount? Im not 100% on this hummer but Ive found several suggestions for this after a few google searches.

Here is some of what I've found:
"If you haven't ordered a reman box yet, spec one out for a '96 Hummer H1, A1 Cardone part number 27-7595, it's a bolt in for the stock CJ P.S. gear it has the larger piston for less effort with a faster turning ratio (variable 13 to 16-1 vs 17-1), with 13/16" input splines and metric fittings as original on Scramblers."- CJ Steering gearbox upgrade - Page 2

Thanks Gert! I'll look into this. Any idea if it has the same bolt holes for the mount? Im not 100% on this hummer but Ive found several suggestions for this after a few google searches.

Here is some of what I've found:

"If you haven't ordered a reman box yet, spec one out for a '96 Hummer H1, A1 Cardone part number 27-7595, it's a bolt in for the stock CJ P.S. gear it has the larger piston for less effort with a faster turning ratio (variable 13 to 16-1 vs 17-1), with 13/16" input splines and metric fittings as original on Scramblers."- CJ Steering gearbox upgrade - Page 2

They are both Saginaw steering boxes and are both variable ratio boxes, since you know based on the other guys write up that the hummer box has the correct hose fittings and input spline count order that one. Saginaw provided boxes for hundreds of different cars and trucks on all GM products Dodge trucks and Jeeps Ana's no telling what else

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: steering shot - "upgrade" vs OEM advice

They are both Saginaw steering boxes and are both variable ratio boxes, since you know based on the other guys write up that the hummer box has the correct hose fittings and input spline count order that one. Saginaw provided boxes for hundreds of different cars and trucks on all GM products Dodge trucks and Jeeps Ana's no telling what else

I don't know about the hose fittings but it sounded like the shaft was the same and it bolted to the mount. Do you know if the dodge truck box was a direct bolt on? I really don't want to drill holes in my new HD steering box mount. :-/

Alright so for the sake of trying to save a few $'s and for my own knowledge. I went ahead and tried to remove the seal using a method I found on YouTube. I got the seal out but I messed up the surface on the bearing. Do y'all think it will be ok or should I just throw in the towel? IMG_4519.JPG
I'm not sure why my image is blurry but hopefully y'all get the idea.

I like the sound of the hummer box, where did you source the steering shaft?

Alright so for the sake of trying to save a few $'s and for my own knowledge. I went ahead and tried to remove the seal using a method I found on YouTube. I got the seal out but I messed up the surface on the bearing. Do y'all think it will be ok or should I just throw in the towel? View attachment 20519
I'm not sure why my image is blurry but hopefully y'all get the idea.

Input of the steering box is a pretty low speed unit as long as the seal surface is clean you will be fine, some where in the early 80s Saginaw changed from an SAE compression fitting to a metric hose fitting with an o ring. The mounting bolt surface is the same on all the boxes that I am aware of

I like the sound of the hummer box, where did you source the steering shaft?

:)

OEM AMC CJ 1980's vintage Steering gear was either a Saginaw 700 or 800 HD gear box.

4 bolt mount with the 13/16" 36 spline I believe input shaft...........your gear box can be rebuilt to a variable ratio just like the Hummer box that everyone seems to be in Love with!

And variable ratio , simply means that the gear box ratio will be slow in the middle and faster out at the edges................meaning that going down the road straight ahead (especially) in a short wheel base vehicle the steering input signal to the Piston inside will be at it's slowest point ( less wandering) ............once you start to turn L/R the ratio speeds up so the turn can be accomplished quicker.

I would find a compendent re-builder and get your own fixed...........PSC in Texas would be a good choice.

:D:D:D:D

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks