Engine Starter coast after cranking

Engine Starter coast after cranking

Tbishop10

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'81 CJ7
Hello all, first time posting here. I am looking for help diagnosing why my starter is coasting/grinding after I crank the engine over and the key returns to the run position. I have currently started trying to get a '81 CJ7 running that hasn't been ran and set outside for over a year. I have been fighting getting spark for the past couple of days and now that I have finally got spark and the engine is wanting to turn over, it just lacks the fuel, i noticed during this process of trying to start the CJ7 a terrible grinding noise coming from the starter area for a few seconds after the engine quit turning.

Could my starter be coasting or is it more likely to be something wrong with my ignition switch considering I have already put a new starter solenoid on?

:welcome:
Quickest way to tell is pull the wire on the S terminal on the solenoid and jump the S terminal temporarily to the hot side (plus) and see if still continues to crank when you remove the wire. If it continues its the starter, if not its a sticky ignition switch.

Just want to add, be sure the trans is in neutral and the ignition is off including removing the I wire from the selenoid (it goes to the coil when cracking)... Don't want it starting up on you!

It don’t sound like overcranking to me. We’ll see.

Yeah it still does it some when I jumped the solenoid
If it continues by jumping the I terminal then it could be you got a bad selenoid. What happens when you connect the main cable to the plus side of the battery? Just use a jumper cable to test bypassing the selenoid.
By process of elimination you will drill down.

Let’s not confuse “terrible grinding noise” with overcranking. You likely have bad starter to ring gear engagement or simply a bad starter or worn ring gear. Good luck.

Good point. My thought was... Lets say, "continues to crank after power removed". Now that you put it that way I'm wondering about engagement.

Hello all, first time posting here. I am looking for help diagnosing why my starter is coasting/grinding after I crank the engine over and the key returns to the run position. I have currently started trying to get a '81 CJ7 running that hasn't been ran and set outside for over a year. I have been fighting getting spark for the past couple of days and now that I have finally got spark and the engine is wanting to turn over, it just lacks the fuel, i noticed during this process of trying to start the CJ7 a terrible grinding noise coming from the starter area for a few seconds after the engine quit turning.

Could my starter be coasting or is it more likely to be something wrong with my ignition switch considering I have already put a new starter solenoid on?
The starter is probably not able to disengage from the flywheel because it may be too deep into the bell housing. Usually when you buy a starter there are shims included to remedy this problem by shimming the starter away from the flywheel so the gear is able to pull far enough away from the ring gear to disengage

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks