Source of idle problems

Source of idle problems

callerys

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ-7, 258 I6, T5
I think i've figured out what my idle problems are after putting in a new carb kit and it not taking care of the problem. The choke plate is not closing. Jeep runs fine if I hold the plate nearly closed. Is the choke controlled by a relay or another sensor or just 12v?

I've read through a couple threads, it is not nuttered. I'm new into all this but figured I could track something down.

Does it help just when it's cold or after it has warmed up also? If it helps when it's warm then it is running way to lean. My chock doesn't even work and it idles fine when cold just a little low.

Cold or hot doesn't seem to matter. The problem comes and goes though and thats what made me thing electrical or loose connection? Problem where it idles rough or dies at stops would happen for a few weeks then magically disappear and then reappear.

I did the carb kit and it was good for a few days and now back to the same. I had some free time last night so I quickly got it started and figured out keeping the plate closed made it run smooth even after it was warm (after 10mins running).

I've gotten spousal pre-approval on Howell FI but if I can make this last a while longer with an easy fix that would be great.

Vacuum looks good and steady. Carb was pretty clean when I replaced all the gaskets etc.

Sounds like you are running way lean, so when you close the choke plate it enrichens the mixture and it runs better.

Well I messed with it some more today. Screwed in mixture screws all the way and backed each out 4 turns. Same issue, no idle unless I close the choke plate.

The stepper motor on the back of the carb might be frozen. You might want to pull it off the carb and see if you can move it in and out. If it is frozen all the way in it will make it run real lean.

What happens if you increase the idle speed with the screw?

So are you idling at like 750 but its so rough it dies?

Increasing it worked before for a while but not now. I checked the stepper motor. When I manually move the linkage to blip the throttle I can see it move so it appears working. Fast idle works fine but as soon as I click it off it dies. Runs and drives great as long as not idling.

Replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, and fuel line running from pump to carb.

Kind of out of ideas.

I would check vacuum lines for a leak. Also check the base of carb for a leak, sucking in air. That would make it run lean. Just my thoughts.

Maybe your metering rods are sticking. And you are sure the float is set right?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks