shakel reverse kit

shakel reverse kit

joy

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
81 cj7
Hi,

can someone recommend of a bolt on shekel reverse kit for 81 cj 7?

TNX

Mountain Off Road makes some great products.

Why do you want to do a shackle reversal? Although there are some pros to doing this, there are a lot of cons also. Depends on what you are going to do with your Jeep.
Here is a YouTube video that I found that I think explains both sides of the debate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36TOhm3aB-c

I looked at a reversal kit when I swapped my axles. Chose a Dave’s unlimited kit that kept the shackles in front. Talking to Dave he said that yes the ride is a bit better but off road it’s not as aggressive and emergency braking is scary since the front axle wants to slide back and nose dive occurs.

Good video. I was considering the options on this myself awhile back in preparation for a swap.

The t-case damage risk is something I've not really noticed being mentioned before. That alone is enough of a discouragement, let alone the braking dive.

Dave's seems to be one of the only kit manufacturers that seems to discourage it...most of the others seem to regard reversal as a forgone conclusion based on their kit designs.

I've also not seen any specifics addressing how to calculate correct driveshaft length to prevent t-case damage. M.O.R.E.'s directions for their kit specifically mentions contacting Woods directly...maybe they walk you through it.

Iv'e delt with Tom Woods before. They are top notch when it comes to driveshafts. I'm not a big fan of the shackle reversal for many reasons, but if you do decide to go with a reversal, you can get a driveshaft made with longer slip yoke splines to allow for the front axle moving backward during compression. I have a double cardan rear shaft on my 79 CJ7. I went with the longer splines to allow for more travel due to suspension modifications.
The folks at Tom Woods are very helpful, and will take the time to talk you through whatever you decide to do.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks