Rugged Ridge lift

Rugged Ridge lift

Agent915

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
Newest is my '78 CJ5. It has a 304, 4 speed NP 435 with a Dana 20.

My daily driver is a 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB R/T.

I'm in the process of building a 1968 SWB C10. it has a built BBC, turbo 400 and 3:73's.
Good evening everyone,
I am looking at buying a Rugged Ridge suspension lift and shackles for my '78 CJ5. Specifically the Rugged Ridge #18415.08 lift kit and the 18265.08 and 18265.12 serviceable shackles. My springs are as flat as a "2x4" and the shocks are shot too. The lift provides a 2-2.5" lift and I think those shackles will give me another inch. Not sure that I want or need the extra inch of lift, so I probably will select another set of RR serviceable shackles that are standard length. I'm running 31x10.50 tire with no plans on going any larger. This CJ is not going to be doing anything more than riding back roads and trails, nothing serious like rock climbing and mud pits. Curious as to opinions on the RR products. Looking forward to your replies!

Danny

I don't have any experience with Rugged Ridge lift kits, but I do know that others have had problems with some of their other parts. Either way I would try to wait till around the Holidays. I bought a Trail Master lift kit for my Jeep for about half price with free shipping from 4WD. In all the lift cost under $300 and included everything needed - u-bolts, sway bar extensions, shocks, wedges, etc. :D

From what I have seen, a spring with a military wrap or a spring that has more than one wrap around the mounting bolts offers a bit more insurance on getting home. This type of spring does cost a bit more though. I have seen a few springs break, including mine, so I always go for the military wrap style:

img_0039_1.jpg

Also consider the adjustable type shock and lowering air pressure in the tires for a softer ride, especially in the dirt.

I don't have any experience with Rugged Ridge lift kits, but I do know that others have had problems with some of their other parts. Either way I would try to wait till around the Holidays. I bought a Trail Master lift kit for my Jeep for about half price with free shipping from 4WD. In all the lift cost under $300 and included everything needed - u-bolts, sway bar extensions, shocks, wedges, etc. :D

Thanks for the tip PB!
Believe me, for savings like that, I can wait! The RR kit plus shackles was just over $800. Shipping was "free." I would really like to use parts from the same manufacturer as much as possible.

Danny

X2 on waiting till the 'silly-season' starts, for the best time to buy.
LG

X2 on waiting till the 'silly-season' starts, for the best time to buy.
LG

Hello again LG!

Do you have any suggestions on a kit? This CJ will be street driven 98% of the time with occasional trips on dirt roads/trails. I read good reviews of the RR system I mentioned in my original post. I know a CJ is going to ride like a CJ so I don't have unrealistic expectations about the ride. Just looking for decent ride quality without spending a grand or more.

Thanks,
Danny

Wish I could guide you here.
I'm using rearched OEM springs, with add-a-leafs.
LG

The Old man Emu YJ conversion spring set is what I have heard is the most comfortable springs out there do to the fronts being the wider YJ springs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went with the superlift 4 inch kit. An inexpensive kit but the kit seems to be put together well, easy enough to install. rides good enough for a jeep. the only thing it does not come with is the sway bar extensions. have a welding shop extend theme per the instructions or do it yourself. I hear the black diamond kit is sweet but expensive. doesnt come with shocks. may be an option...I think Quadratec still has the kit for less than 400

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks