Rubicon Express 4.5" lift monotube shock (Bilstein) mounting direction

Rubicon Express 4.5" lift monotube shock (Bilstein) mounting direction

jwnaron

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ7 orange, white hardtop, Levi's blue interior, 258 converted to fuel injection,THM400 with "SHIFT" shift kit, Quadratrac TC converted to part-time, warn premium manual hubs, D30 front welded/AMC20 welded rear axle solid piece rear axle, G2 30 spline axle hafts, ARB lockers Front/Rear, High Output ARB on-board air, TR HD Beadlocks, 35" Maxxis Creep Crawlers, Poison Spyder front bumper; Rock Hard 4x4 Rear bumper w/ tire carrier, can mounts and rock cage.
Well I hope the answer to this isn't on here right in front of my face, but after about 15 mins of searching and not finding anything that addresses this issue directly I figured I'd start a post.

I know there are lots of guys on here running the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift kit with monotube shocks. The shocks that came with my kit are Bilstein and from what I can find on the Bilstein site probably the Bilstein B8 5125 shock.

My question is, which direction do you mount these things???

I read that monotube shocks can be mounted either shock body up or down and that a lot of users remove the rubber boot. I can't really see a reason why you want to remove the protective rubber boot and leave the rod exposed. I've heard because it keep mud and dirt from collecting INSIDE the boot, but I personally don't see how that can happen unless the boot is torn. I currently have mine mounted with the shock body down to keep the boot from getting ripped and being on the front lines for damage. I figured the body of the shock could take more abuse than the small rod and rubber boot.

But, I wanted to get some suggestions from people that have more experience than I on the subject. I read that Bilstein says always mount the shock so that the writing is right side up, this would put the rubber boot down I think.

Do you mount the shock boot up or down? These are monotube if that makes a difference. Boot on or off? Difference between the front or rear?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

The rubber boot traps water. :eek: That leads to rust. ;)
I would mount 'boot-up' to protect the shaft from hits. The shock body can deal with the dents better than than the main shaft can.
LG

Last edited:
thanks guys. I did actually read the post you mentioned PB, but im not sure that thread really answered the question. I'm starting to come to the conclusion with these bilstein monotube shocks it's a matter of preference and I kind of like the shock body down as it seems tougher and more likely to survive hits off road.

I am curious if anyone has these same shocks and if they have learned from experience one way is better than the other.

thanks for the responses! I really appreciate the info!

For what it's worth, here is the reply I got from Rubicon Express:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jan 10, 2017 at 2:32 PM
Subject: Re: Contact form inquiry - RubiconExpress.com #REinfo00026369

New reply for the ticket #REinfo00026369

Hello,

The body of the shock will be in the bottom position with the boot at the top.

Thank you,

normally I leave those rubbers off, they cause the shaft to rust

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks