Roll bar ideas?

Roll bar ideas?

CJ007

Old Time Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83' CJ7-35's, granny T18, clocked, locked, 456s, D30 20 trussed- stitched-heim traction-1 piece shafts, CV dshaft, quick discos, xtended shock mounts, SOA, revolvers rear, braided lines, herculined, hand throttle, AMC saddle bags, rebuilt 258, D300.
I have the standard roll bar in the CJ,and like the way it looks with the ability to go with windshield down. I'm not into full cages and tubing all over, no offense to those that do or those that need for the hardcore (or those that are much safer than I pinch.gif) . But, I would like to have some additional reinforcement upfront for safety when its up.

I have heard someone put bullet proof glass in (CJ007 might like thatsmile.gif ) but I haven't checked cost and that doesn't help those little brackets. Also considered tryng to build a removable section up through the dash that top section can be pulled off/reattached?

Anyone seen anything like these or have ideas? confused.gif

I have the standard roll bar in the CJ,and like the way it looks with the ability to go with windshield down. I'm not into full cages and tubing all over, no offense to those that do or those that need for the hardcore (or those that are much safer than I pinch.gif) . But, I would like to have some additional reinforcement upfront for safety when its up.

I have heard someone put bullet proof glass in (CJ007 might like that[IMG]http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] ) but I haven't checked cost and that doesn't help those little brackets. Also considered tryng to build a removable section up through the dash that top section can be pulled off/reattached?

You might like this.
Roadless Gear PolyShield: Roadless Gear For Jeep

For me myself, I'd always choose a full roll cage over just a hoop in the back if I had the choice.
Jeeps aren't exactly known for their stability, on or off road. And if the unthinkable happened I want me and my family protected as well as we can be.
That doesn't mean a tube jungle that makes getting in the CJ equal to entering the Shuttle (RIP) or a submarine, but a front hoop and a couple spreader bars don't intrude into the cabin that much, and keeps that windshield from folding up into the front passenger's laps during a mishap. A bullet-proof piece of glass wont stop that from happening. And you can still fold down the windsheild frame and enjoy the CJ for what is was meant to do.
I need to add a set of bars to the rear of my cage to further protect my little one riding in the back, just in case.

For me myself, I'd always choose a full roll cage over just a hoop in the back if I had the choice.
Jeeps aren't exactly known for their stability, on or off road. And if the unthinkable happened I want me and my family protected as well as we can be.
That doesn't mean a tube jungle that makes getting in the CJ equal to entering the Shuttle (RIP) or a submarine, but a front hoop and a couple spreader bars don't intrude into the cabin that much, and keeps that windshield from folding up into the front passenger's laps during a mishap. A bullet-proof piece of glass wont stop that from happening. And you can still fold down the windsheild frame and enjoy the CJ for what is was meant to do.
I need to add a set of bars to the rear of my cage to further protect my little one riding in the back, just in case.

I agree, but on rear hoop my solution was to mount the rear seat backwards.
That put's the rear seat passengers heads under the existing rollbar, it also makes it easier to talk to the rear seaters on the highway.
DSCI0074b.jpg

My dog gets car sick if I make him ride backwards.
On a completely unrelated note. did anyone pull up the link that Horn posted?? I did a couple of hours ago and my primary computer took an immediate dump. The hard drive may have taken that instant to go south and this may just be the straw that broke it's back. :cool:

I agree, but on rear hoop my solution was to mount the rear seat backwards.
That put's the rear seat passengers heads under the existing rollbar, it also makes it easier to talk to the rear seaters on the highway.
View attachment 6037

My dog gets car sick if I make him ride backwards.
On a completely unrelated note. did anyone pull up the link that Horn posted?? I did a couple of hours ago and my primary computer took an immediate dump. The hard drive may have taken that instant to go south and this may just be the straw that broke it's back. :cool:

I don't know what the problem could be, I tried the posted link & it went straight to "Roadless Gear.com".
On a lighter note,
What IO you never heard of a "Doggie (airsick) Bag". :rolleyes:

BTW my daughters love facing back because the wind keeps the hair out of their faces.;)

That is interesting, 250% stronger than glass and not too expensive. I read they can fog up but that one is coated and windshields don't last long here in AZ anyway. Lots of rocks small flying up on highways. Might look at combining that with stronger brackets.

Still would like to see if anyone has ever done anything with a front a bar. I may experiment once I'm finished with my other projects.

The word of the day everywhere seems to be triangulation, maybe I can find a way to do a reverse roll bar through the firewall that folds down or comes off at the top, so I don't have to look like a buggy :)

I have heard someone put bullet proof glass in (CJ007 might like thatsmile.gif ) but I haven't checked cost and that doesn't help those little brackets. Also considered tryng to build a removable section up through the dash that top section can be pulled off/reattached?

I caught the "bullet Proof" windshield thing, but I'm not real clear on what your looking for on the front bar?:confused:
Are talking something similar to the early Wangler style?
Or something like this?
img_0777.jpg

YJ_Sport_cage1.jpg

YJ87-95-07.jpg

Photo_062406_001.jpg

Photo_062406_002.jpg

Attachments

• img_0777.jpg
    img_0777.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,916
  • YJ_Sport_cage1.jpg
    YJ_Sport_cage1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,049
  • YJ87-95-07.jpg
    YJ87-95-07.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 2,842
  • Photo_062406_001.jpg
    Photo_062406_001.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 2,807
  • Photo_062406_002.jpg
    Photo_062406_002.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 4,434
I guess I'm not real sure, I just don't want a full bar to the front. I want it stronger but I want it to look like a CJ and like the openness. I do some moderate trials and everyone preaches cages.

Basically was wondering if anyone out there had reinforced their brackets or windshield frame. Just playing with the idea some, to see if anyone had any different ideas. Not seeing too many options, but I may try and put something together.

I guess I'm not real sure, I just don't want a full bar to the front. I want it stronger but I want it to look like a CJ and like the openness. I do some moderate trials and everyone preaches cages.

Basically was wondering if anyone out there had reinforced their brackets or windshield frame. Just playing with the idea some, to see if anyone had any different ideas. Not seeing too many options, but I may try and put something together.

This is a bolt in cage, so you could remove it at will.
Rock Hard Ultimate Sports Cage Jeep CJ7 1979 - 1986

Do they make a section that goes from roll bar to wind shield like it does on my yj. Makes a great handle for getting in and out. Thanks for any info

I wanted rear shoulder belts, so got a '92 YJ "family style" bar. It's a direct bolt-in replacement. Then I took the original CJ bar, cut the bottom portion off and made some dash mounts to make a windshield hoop. Can still fold down the windshield if wanted. I then cut the two rear angled pieces from the original to make "spreader bars" between the new YJ bar and the front hoop made from the original CJ bar. I hung some of those velcro "Oh Jesus" straps on these overhead bars. I also welded two grab handles to what is now the "A" pillars to aid in getting in/out. I also moved the visors from the windshield frame to the front windshield hoop made from that original CJ bar. That keeps them fully functional and available if the windshield is folded down. Made some padded zippered covers for those grab handles on my wife's sewing machine from some black vinyl and zippers from the fabric store and used some standard available zippered covers from Amazon for the "spreader bars". I agree with you that I also didn't want the side bars over the door openings that go from the rear bar to the windshield frame. I also like the openess when I'm getting in/out. That's why I put these spreader bars overhead in the center rather than at the outsides. My safari top has velcro straps that attach to these to reduce flapping in the wind and those red strap handles work great there. Just keep in mind also that anything that bolts to the dash will require your dash pad (if you have one) is the version that has the narrower parts at the outside edges so it will fit behind a front bar. Not going to save me in a roll over accident most likely, but without a cage tied into the frame, none of the options probably would anyway. What I have may help a little; but for my daily driving, grandkids in the backseat, and climbing in/out with a 4" lift and 35" tires, this works great for my needs. And that YJ bar gave me a great place to mount those wakeboard tower boat speakers :punk:

Driver_Side.jpg Left_Rear.jpg 10088.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Mine is a 81 CJ5 its already tight enough getting in and out. I already cut wheels to allow both seats to slide back. Ill have to keep a eye out for a yj family bar in upstate ny
Thanks again

Ooh, sorry. Didn't know you had a CJ5. I don't believe the YJ "family style" bar will go in a CJ5 without a lot of modification and most likely loss of the shoulder belts for the front seats due to the position of the vertical parts being too far forward. I have an '84 CJ7. In the CJ7, the roll bar bolts to the floor just behind the front seats and the angled parts bolt to the tops of the rear fender wells. In a CJ5, the bar bolts completely on top of the rear fender wells rather than the front "legs" going clear to the floor behind the front seats. Different animal altogether. But if you're up the challenge, can cut/bend/weld tubing, rear fender wells already notched, perhaps??

cjyjrollside.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom