rocker arm question on my 4.2l

rocker arm question on my 4.2l

bearsden

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
2002 ford f150 4wd,1989 chevy suburban 4wd,86 cj7 ,67 nissan patrol(sold)
I got my head back from the machine shop and I am re-assemblying everything.I got to the last rocker arm (towards the firewall) and it's sloppy.Ive taken it apart twice and the pushrod is seated like its suppose to be and torqued to 21ft pds. Am I doing something wrong? all the others appear to be tight. And is there anything special i need to do after everything is done before i turn it over? thanks again guys!:notworthy:

Are you saying the last capscrew has a bad thread? if so, there are thread repair kits available.

No, everything screws together fine it's just after everything is tightened the rocker arm is wobbly like the valve needs to come up a hair to tighten everything up?

A collapsed lifter, bent or incorrect push rod, damaged pivot assembly, or damaged rocker arm come to mind.

but it wasn't like that when i took it apart.the only thing they found wrong with the head was the plugs were obviously bad and I had them replaced with the brass plug. they did machine the face but did nothing with the valves. they cleaned it and checked for cracks etc.it's like there should be some more pressure on the spring and that would eliminate the wobble will that spring on the valve adjust if i turn it over ?

How much "slop" is there?

just a little. A friend of mine told me once i get some pressure on that spring it will tighten up and not to worry about it....but it still bothers me.I don't need anything stupid to happen here...once i get everything back together can i check that some how?

by the way thanks for being up late ! I had to force myself in from the garage.....

The lifter has probably bled down, once you get oil pressure it should pump back up.

:agree: Thats exactly what I was thinking

Thanks again you guys for the great insight!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks